“Impressed”

Ranked #25 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Sydney, Australia
“Impressed”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am Impressed with this hotel. It is arguably the best resort hotel among plenty I have lived in because:

1) Minor conflicts between management and seasoned hotel patrons with loyalty cards often arise with
- free internet not provided
- complimentary upgrade not given
- breakfast not included
- partner didn't get to stay for free
- extended check out time not given
- complimentary breakfast not provided.
Not sure whether it is due to my HH Diamond status but this hotel provided it all by providing:
- 6p.m late checkout (thank you so much. This was utilized)
- free fruits and free wine
- free internet
- free use of minibar
- free afternoon tea at one of the inhouse cafeteria.
- free laundry service for up to 4 pieces of my dirty clothes per day
- free complimentary upgrade
- did not pay extra (I think) for my mistress
Being a cheapskate, I am for the first time in 2014 quite embarrassed by the amount of freebies provided.

2) Good product segmentation of private transfer services where you can choose between a Bentley, Audi, Buick, private car organized by hotel and bus from airport to hotel. I choose the Bentley which cost 2100rmb which is reasonable for a 5 star chain. As room for improvement, it would have been great if the driver knows how to operate the sound system on the Bentley. Would have been great if I could have operate it to make comparison with my Tata Jag.

3) Synergy with Double Tree Hilton. Being linked to Double Tree Hilton, you get many different restaurants to choose from between Conrad and Hilton and won't get bored.

4) Best services. Overall, I would rank this hotel's services better than Waldorf Astoria Shanghai which is one tier on top of Conrad in the Hilton food chain. An example was I dropped my laptop whilst eating breakfast at the lounge. A waiter positive engaged myself and asked whether I would like my broken laptop to be looked by IT. It is rare in China from experience for a waiter to make unprompted engagement. Most would hide their backside at first instance of an incident or "trouble". This is impressive beyond speech.

5) Super breakfast. Breakfast (complimentary) comes with the usuals plus made to order salmon steak or sirloin beef steak among others. The salmon steak comes with lime rather than the usual lemon. It perhaps show that thoughts have been given in providing great breakfasts. Room for improvement is that the coconuts provided at breakfast was "off" and grapes provided in room are not in their "prime" level of maturity. Greater care should be taken by the supervisor arranging supplies.

6) Room decor is nothing special but spacious and peaceful and privacy guaranteed. I could swim in the cold pool naked without fear of exposing my obnoxious middle age belly. The room would have been perfect if the in-room pool can be heated.

7) Transportation. As with most resorts, hotel is far from the city and Haitang Bay is a newly developed area where there are no taxis. This is all compensated by hotel which can organize private cars at very reasonable price of 500rmb for 8 hours or 300rmb for 4 hours or I think 200rmb to the city.

8) Chinese Restaurant. Provide good food again at reasonable price. If you eat "live" seafood in Sanya, you are most likely going to be ripped off. Consider eating at the inhouse chinese restaurant. The restaurant looks expensive but it's not expensive.

All in all, had a wonderful experience with Conrad Sanya. Highly recommended from a spoilt lower tier HNVI which is not easily pleased,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raymondteh
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear valued guest

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on your recent stay with us!

It’s delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. All facilities and services provided at this Conrad hotel is to make all our guests feel the atmosphere of “the luxury of being yourself“.
I will definitely share your encouraging comments with the entire team and I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Markus Kosch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ningbo, China
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Although a little disappointed, but still very like the hotel itself, environment, room, food is very good! Because few people, most of the time is not to be disturbed, tired of the noisy city, here is really a land of idyllic beauty feeling, hope next time, child do not get sick, so that we can live more than a few days, the sun, in a daze I hope the next time don't what personal touch to PARTY, occupied by the beach, or really want to night for a walk, counting the stars

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Dear Weiwei

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences on your stay with us. It is always pleasing to hear when guests in general enjoy a relaxing stay with us

Thank you for your nice comments on food, room and environment at our resort and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed January 4, 2014

First Class Vacation at Conrad Resort
My Parents had a wonderful vacation beginning of October 2013 at Conrad and returned with me to spend the week around New Year Eye 2014.
Conrad is Fist Class in great Architecture, Luxury and Fine Dining.
Conrad radiates the old world luxury with a modern sensibility. "The architectural facade is clad in golden-color imported Australian sandstone," quoted by the Architect Mr. Nagata from the BLINK Design Group. "It's expensive stuff. But the results speak for themselves” The interior and exterior design is a complete style and we enjoyed walking through the wonderful gardens and park.
Conrads motto is “The Luxury of Being Yourself” to be committed to deliver a perfect service every moment of our stay and this was absolutely true thanks to the General Manager Markus Kosch. He is present for his customers all the time and has built up an excellent management team at the resort. We stayed in the Conrad Villas and were entitled to the complimentary afternoon tea and evening cocktails.
We enjoyed an unforgettable culinary experience at Conrad, where four elegant dining restaurants waited to impress us. The restaurant La Chine serves Cantonese cuisine and Hainanese. We enjoyed breakfast with bezels and cheese at all-day dining on the outdoor terrace of the restaurant Teatro. We tried international and Asian dishes from the à la carte menu. We loved the sunsets from the terrace of the Vue Lounge and enjoyed tasty tapas, freshly baked pastries served with coffee, tea and evening cocktails.
A live band plays every day at the Pacifica Restaurant at dinner time and later in the lobby of the Double Tree Hotel.
We watched several romantic weddings started at the beach weeding place and ended at the beautiful decorated ballroom.
This vacation was for me and my parents like being in paradise

Room Tip: The Villas near the beach have ocean view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sandra

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on your recent stays with us. It was great hosting you and your parents for the 2nd time in our hotel.

Thank you for your gracious review, my team and I are so proud to receive such comments. It was our pleasure to make your stay a memorable one, and your comments will encourage us to continuously deliver our Conrad service of the highest quality.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed here in November with my family and without a doubt it was one of our best vacations . We stayed here 4 nights and did not need to venture out of the Conrad property. It has an abundance of restaurant options, the rooms were impeccable and most of all it was the service that was flawless. Would love to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful 4-night stay with us. All facilities and services provided at this Conrad hotel is to make all our guests feel the atmosphere of “the luxury of being yourself“. I will definitely share your nice comments with the entire team and I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Spent a lovely 8-days stay in this beautiful hotel. Came over from HK where also stayed in Conrad, so one could have a good comparison. Have to say, thanks to an excellent management in place, Conrad Sanya won't fell short of Conrad HK or Tokyo. The place is really an island of tranquillity with nice villas, lush gardens, great sandy beach. Though villas are a bit far from the beach or the pool, a short walk or calling for the buggy is always an option. Arrived on Saturday, 23 November. A practical advice: even though there is an info desk in the arrival lobby, the clerk hardly speaks any English, so hotels in the same direction at Haitang Bay like Kempinski, Double Tree Hilton, Conrad, Shangri La, etc. may consider setting up a desk providing proper information. A first time visitor has no clue at all where the shuttle bus stops or what is the "normal" fare for using cabby to the hotel, but in China you should always bargain. Upon arrival many local drivers were offering their service in a pushy way. They quoted 300-350 RMB which does not sound terribly expensive, but a ride to Haitang Bay costs you only 100-120. So, avoid being cheated. The hotel is wonderful, some small annoying issues like aircon not working at the arrival or weakish internet connection were quickly solved thanks to the helpful staff under the strong command of Marcus, the chief manager. True, Sanya city is a 50 mins taxi drive (100 RMB one way), but it is worth moving out, so one should try it. Even though the hotel catering is excellent - very rich and delicious breakfasts, great local food in La Chine - it is worth looking around in the city. Ask at the concierge for good local seafood restaurants, there are plenty of them. If you are lucky with the weather, the whole day you can spend around the pool. For families the Double Tree Hilton facilities are also available which is quite an extra given the sea is usually stormy around that time of the year and it was impossible to swim. Overall, I could strongly recommend this hotel for anyone who loves tranquil neighbourhood, tasteful and spacious rooms, wonderful gardens. As the whole Haitang Bay is still under construction, it will take another couple of years when all projects are going to be completed. If this will be your first visit to China, you can be pleasantly surprised. Don't expect, however proxy cultural activities like in Beijing or Xian, the island is rather for leisure.
And one last remark: a well-managed staff can make your stay pleasant, this one in Conrad was an excellent one with Markus at helm.
A couple from Hungary

Room Tip: Choose either a king size villa or room close to the pool
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Pataki,

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful 8-day stay at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay. I’ll certainly share your comments with the team, because of the feedback like yours is always rewarding, motivating which will encourage us to continuously deliver our Conrad service of the highest quality!

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife on several occasions and we are looking forward in welcoming you back soon again!

Irvine, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Conrad Haitang Bay last weekend. The property is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a peaceful and luxurious vacation.

The location is secluded and quiet with only about 100 villas. Our villa is a one bedroom house with its private pool, outdoor dining area, court yard, a luxurious bathroom with his and her vanity and marble heated floor. The bed comes with high quality linen. Complimentary mini bar is stocked with soft drinks, beer, cookies and chips. At night staff often sent small treats such as freshly basked cookies. Food is not cheap but high quality. Breakfast not a huge spread, but well prepared and presented. Afternoon tea and evening cocktail offered in a lovely venue overlooking the ocean. Beach is quiet and not crowded.

The hotel has shuttle that picks up from and sends to the airport, and it also goes to couple designated places near town center. Please prebook a few days early if possible because the shuttle is shared with Doubletree next door and we were unable to get seats the next day.

Staff at this hotel are professional and very warm. Lovely luxury property. Expertly run. We had a lovely stay. Highly recommend. Perfect getaway. Will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear guest

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful 3-night stay with us. All facilities and services provided at this Conrad hotel is to make all our guests feel the atmosphere of “the luxury of being yourself“. I will definitely share your nice comments with the entire team and I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed at Conrad Haitang Bay for 3nights with my wife last week. This was our third time to stay there. Typhoon Haiyan hit Sanya 2weeks prior to our visit. The hotel had been damaged to some extent but they had dealt with aftermath very quickly. So we were able to relax and enjoy our stay as usual.
All staff members were very friendly and kind. Their warm hospitality relaxed us.
Whenever we asked them something, they respond quickly.
We stayed at a king garden plunge pool villa. It was spacious and gorgeous.
Each villa is surrounded by high walls and privacy is not disturbed.

Moreover, food was great.
We had breakfast at "Teatro" every morning. They had wide selection. It was buffet style but many of them were cooked on demand. They were nice.
We had dinner at chinese restaurant and we enjoyed chinese food and Hainan local food a lot.
We went to the mediterranean restaurant, which was renovated recently, and had paella.It was very good.Located near the public pool, the ambience was also nice.

There were some staff members who spoke English and helped us in each restaurant.
Especially, the manager Jamel helped us very often. He was well-informed about food and wine.
We would like to express our appreciation to him.

We enjoyed "afternoon tea" and "cocktail time" at the lobby. The view from the Lobby was so nice.
We would like to stay at Conrad Haitang Bay again in near future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Yamamoto-san,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and it was a pleasure meeting you in the resort. As a HHonros Diamond member, I also wanted to thank you for your continuous support and patronage to all Hilton Worldwide Hotels & Resorts around the world.

It’s my pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay. Your positive comments will certainly motivate the entire team in our aim to strive for excellence.

The team and myself will indeed look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Best Regards