“Helpful staff and nice villas”

Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay
Ranked #25 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Shanghai, China
“Helpful staff and nice villas”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at the villa for two nights, it left us a very beatiful memory. For family stay, strongly recommend two bedroom villa with private heated-pool, it is probably the best choice for family travelling with kids. Breakfast was awesome, staff at Teatro were very friendly and helpful, they made smile face pancakde for my daughter everyday which was very service oriented. A special thank you to Alan Zhao at frond desk, he helped us with the early check-in in a very efficient way.

Room Tip: two bedroom villa is the best choice for a family stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick H
wang a, Public Relations Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Nick

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It’s our pleasure to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay.

Distinguished by its contemporary architecture styled on the French Riviera, this Conrad hotel has the 101 luxurious villas and rooms overlooking the blue ocean, lagoons or gardens. Each villa boasts a private pool, sun lounger, cabana, and is circled by vibrant foliage for complete privacy. With additionally access to two large outdoor pools, one located right on the beach, you’re invited to discover the luxury of being yourself.

Thanks again for your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to this family friendly villa resort!

Emily Wang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

The overall experience was great. At first I wasn't very satisfy due to multiple issues with the check-in process, the privacy in the room for three adults, etc. As diamond member within the Hilton family and being a "Conrad", I had very high standards for this hotel. Thank god, the general manager Markus Kosch was absolutely amazing! He fixed all the problems and accommodated all my needs. The property was amazing, words can't even describe... You just have to see it in person. The staff tries the best they can to understand what I was trying to get across... Maybe my needs are a bit different than other people? The breakfast was great, huge selection, fresh squeezed OJ! They also serve afternoon tea and cocktails in the vue lounge. I spent most of my time at the pool area and in my room and pool, since my whole point to come here was to get away from the world. The spa was awesome... One of the best massages ever! It's known to be world famous, and it lives up to its name! I LOVE CONRAD SANYA!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ada H
wang a, Public Relations Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Ada
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you had a great getaway here at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay.

Thanks again for your stay and we looking forward to welcoming you again in this stunning beachfront resort!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this resort during the Easter break and enjoyed our stay. The room is large and clean with its private pool. The Chinese restaurant is pricy but the food is of top quality. Senses was also good. We did not eat out of the resort as we are more confident with the food in the hotel than travelling miles away to the city for meals. We love the beach around the resort its very clean.The hot water in the shower was very weak so hope they can improve on this.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SimoneYK
Dear Simone

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you had a relaxing break here at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay.

Boasting 4 restaurants and bars, Tthe all-day dining restaurant offers the best in international cuisine, Teatro provides Asian and Western dishes from an open show kitchen, La Chine serves contemporary Hainan and Cantonese cuisine in a luxurious setting whilst the popular Senses Specialty Restaurant features Mediterranean food . The laid back Vue Lounge offers an open air oasis of tranquility with fantastic panoramic ocean views, the Vue Lounge is also the ideal place for guests to enjoy afternoon tea or exotic evening cocktails.

Thanks again for your stay and we’re looking forwarding to welcoming you again in this stunning beachfront resort!

Toronto
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We checked into the hotel on Mar 10, as a family of 4 with one teenager and one preteen. While there were some technical diificulties in the beginning involving the booking and the plunge pool, we would still recommend the hotel. I would start with the pros first because I am afraid the readers would all got turn off by the cons.
- Lovely maintained resort, beautiful and quiet beach, although the sea were wavely, did not stop us Canadians to swim.
- Very good buffet breakfast, best deal in the hotel with all you can drink fruit juices, although the selection was a bit limited, but every thing was done perfectly, one daughters loved the fried dumplings, muffins, pastries, egg tarts and we loved the ordered to make noodles. There were also dishes on menu and daily special (tried the truffle scrample eggs which was delicious).
-There was practically no one in the gym whenever I used it.
- Super helpful staff. Special thanks to Linda at front office, who went after work to buy phone sim cards for us and delivered them in person afterwards. Also Service Manager, Michael Liu for fixing a couple of problems for us. And the girl who standed at the entrance day and night to arrange transportation for the guests.
And the following are the cons:
- Upon check in, we found that Conrad did not receive the booking confirmation from Expedia, and it seemed that the local Conrad could not reach Expedia nor its own main office because it was a Sunday (Strange since we thought both offices work 24/7). But it did observe the same rate on Expedia confirmation and gave us an upgraded room (probably because my husband believed the problem would eventually be resolved and he is a Hilton gold member and also promptly gave his credit card for a large deposit when requested). We were assured the probelm would be resolved the next day, but no one contacted us Monday, until I showed up at the office for a different matter, and the front office representative told me he was just going to call us and let us know all matter resolved. However, I found out later from my husband that it was him who spent an hour with Expedia on the phone (with an agent by the name of Lorraine Steed, who was highly effective and competent), during which time the Expedia agent contacted the Conrad which still had difficulty finding my husband's name and reservation and could not locate the room number. (Which was strange because by that time we were quite famous in the hotel)
- We were given an upgrade to a plunge pool room in mid afternoon, which was great, but were told initially the pool was not ready. We checked the pool and it was somewhat dirty and water level was low, thinking the front office already knew the problem and would fix it soon, we left it as it was. We noticed the situation with the pool had not changed after dinner, so I complained to front office again, at least 3 front office employees were present and promised it would be fixed and they sent house keeping person to check the pool. He told me it was too late to drain the water and clean and refill the pool, and I was OK to wait till tomorrow. By mid afternoon the next day, the pool was in the same condition, and when I complained again, this time I was told that it was normal for the pool to have some dirts on the surface and water level low, but I pointed out the water level was more than 2 ft lower than the other pools, they said they would send someone over to check. When my husband finally lost patience and went to front office himself to rant and got the attention of the service manager, it was then that we were told there was a leak on the pool and pool maintanance people gone for the day and management offered to change our room. They could have done so much sooner.
- No review ever mentioned about the design of the washroom which we found strange, there were 2 sets of glass doors separating the bedroom from the washroom, and 1/3 of the separate toilet room and all of the shower stall are glass walls, meaning it is quite difficult to have complete privacy when you are doing your business.I guess it may be OK if you are with family.
All in all, we still love the Conrad, all waiting staff are friendly and helpful. My younger daughter thinks it is "awesome". My husband, after all the complaints and ranting, still thinks it is a gorgeous resort and wish we stayed longer. Will go back, this time make sure we have the booking sent before arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
wang a, Public Relations Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear valued guest

First of all, please allow us to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen to stay with us for your family holiday, and thank you very much for your recommendation on us.

We are sorry to learn the disappointing experience regarding the private pool you encountered in our resort. Please accept our sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences that caused during your stay. We’ve conducted necessary trainings to ensure this case won’t happen again in the future.

Moreover, we highly appreciate your comments as it is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improve both our products and quality of services. We sincerely hope that on your next visit we will deliver our promised service.

Look forward to welcoming you back and having the opportunity to serve you and your family again!

Ulaanbaatar
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It was wonderful hotel. If you want to relax, forgot about all your problems, be calm and happy this place is for you . Very good environment,it was like we're living inside of park.Excellent staff,many of them speak english ,and very very kind.Especially thanks to general manager Marcus,and Sertac,Mandy,Snow, and all other staff.They're very polite good organized and kind people.Thank you a lot. Service,staff,beach,swimming pool,fitness center,room was soo nice.Especially fitness room is very good for real man who do sports. And we liked very much sea,it was very clean and wild.And we liked that classical and relaxing guitar music is always playing in hotel.We'll come back again as soon as possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
wang a, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Amina

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had a great time at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay.

I will definitely share your good comments with my team, which will encourage us to continuously deliver our Conrad service of the highest quality.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future!

Markus Kosch
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We had actually booked to go to the Hilton, but were upgraded as the Hilton was full, to its sister hotel the Conrad. And what an upgrade! The facilities were amazing, we had our own private villa and pool, and access to all the swimming pools (Conrad and Hilton) and the Hilton's kids club. So we started over at the kids swimming pool where my children (9, 7 and 5) loved the water slides, and then progressed to the slightly quieter and more adult pools overlooking the beach. The facilities in the villas are great. They are very well organised and spacious, and there are nice personal touches, like the blow-up crocodiles for the kids to play with in the pool, and a free mini bar! The staff were also fabulous. All spoke great English, they seemed to come from all over the world, and they were so kind to the kids, even making them extra pancakes one morning because the buffet had run out. The food options are good: there's a pasta/pizza/steak/salad place in the Conrad, plus a noodle place in the Hilton, and both hotels have an extensive buffet, with the Conrad offering a traditional Chinese hotpot in the evenings. We had such as relaxing long weekend. Didn't want to go home! Only real downside was the sea. The beach was clean and sandy and the kids loved building sandcastles etc. but we couldn't swim as the sea was too rough. Would recommend this hotel/villa complex to anyone (who can afford it!)

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
wang a, Public Relations Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Joanna

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you and your family had an enjoyable and relaxing time with us and would like to thank you for your kind recommendations.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort in the near future!

Ningbo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This trip is my second time to this hotel, it is not as good as last time I come. They reduced something for some reason.

One thing I met is for my son's breakfast, they asked me to pay for my son (9 years old) breakfast, because they told me only 6 or below can have free breakfast. I told them I had seen it should be 10 or 11 in the condition when I made this reservation from Hilton.com. They told me it is not possible, maybe I made a mistake, So I come to the receiption to check, they said they could not find the condition for me. I also called the reservation number in their hotel, they also told me they could not find it. Finally I called the telephone number of Hilton.com, asked them to send me e-mail which can be printed to show them. I showed them this printing, they said they found this condition in their system. I do not why I should spend so much time to do this and this hotel think it is not their work? They had not do anything to try to find this condition, only after I get printing from Hilton.com, they started to do it. When they got this printing, they still did not let me go and let me wait until they finished their investigation( I think they can call me when they get result, Why I should wait in the receiption?)

I also think the pool in the villa without warm is not good, we can not swim in it during the winter.

I think the service is not good enough for this hotel, they should improve not reduce their service for the customers who will come again. I also think they do not expected returned customer,they just want to find new customer and there is too much Chinese who will come to Sanya.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Zhangyun

Thank you again for taking time to share your experiences about your recent stay with us. We are sorry to read that your second stay was not as interesting as expected. We have shared your comments with the team and your valuable feedback will certainly help us to improve on the areas you felt we didn’t meet your expectations.