“A stay beyond expectation”

Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 1,356 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I just stayed at Pullman Oceanview for 3D2N with my family (total 3) in August. I was the one who chose this resort based on price, location and tripadvisor's comments'. It turned out that we all loved this so-what 4-star but indeed belonging to 5-star resort.

Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and immediately arranged to a room with ocean view at 11th floor. The room was spacious and conveniently designed into three parts: bathroom, sleeping and balcony. The bed settings were clean and tidy. Plugs were within easy reach and unlimited wifi.

The great joy here was swimming or simply lying at the pool. We loved the rectangular pool. For those who disliked swimming, just lied on the hanging net and had a good nap.

The next was on food. The western and Chinese restaurant (The One) were absolutely fine. The buffet breakfast were great with varieties of choices. The Red Sun Bar occupied the best beach view and we enjoyed an afternoon tea there. It was a pity that only a few guests were with us at that time.

Another credit went to porter, concierge, check-in and tourist information desk. It was your well-mannered professional staff who spoke exceptional good English and mandarin impressed us most. You really brought your resort to international level. With you all around, we had an enjoyable and luxurious stay and certainly will highly recommend Pullman to all my friends.

Lastly, I would like to thank all your staff ranging from porter, concierge, check-in desk, tourist information desk, The One, Western Restaurant, Red sun bar to cleaning team, operator (0) and swimming pool. I specially thank Sabrina, Justine, Shirley, Jerry and Leo.

Room Tip: Higher floor over 10 with ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Pauline L

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at the Pullman Sanya Bay for 2 nights with my family (couple + 1 kid) in August 2013. The overall impression of this hotel is wonderful for vacation. We visited the chineses restaurant for all our meals except breakfast. The restaurant provides good services & food. The swimming pool (1.5m) is superb!!

The most important problem for our stay is the behaviour of other guests. My daughter who is 13 can hardly get the food she wants from the breakfast buffet as she is too polite. Her manner is normal in Hong Kong, but sorry not applied in PRC. Most of other guests are mainlanders who possess the consistent character - never give way to others. We were also awaken by other guests including adults & kids, no matter it was early at 6:00am or late at 12:00 mid-night. It was not only a sudden shout but consistently for 10 to 15 minutes which you could hardly bear.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We really want to congratulate this hotel.
In july 2013 we stayed 5 days in this Pullman and we were really happily surprised about the quality of all services and the hotel.
We've had a room facing the Ocean (as all the room are), very conveniently designed. The bathroom and the room can be separated or, by moving a wall, become one open space, which is very romantic and convenient.
All off the staff were friendly, smiling and professional. Every staff members speak English very well even the pool and beach staff and the housekeeping staff.
We are working in hospitality industry so we naturally expect a lot from luxury hotels, and we have been fulfilled during this stay. This hotel is perfectly located, the private beach is wonderful, everything is clean (swimming pool, room, common area). "The One" restaurant is excellent, offering a wide range of food and not pricy. The Room service is very good and efficient (less than 20 min to get our dishes), and the RoofTop bar is offering a great view, the cocktails are great and not pricy for such a hotel.
The front desk staff is nice, smiling and really helpful in all situations, specially Jeffer, Coco and Jessica and one of the housekeeper Eve was very professional and helpful when we had a problem with our room key she took care of it quickly.
Congratulation ad thank you for making our stay so perfect and luxurious !!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Manon D
H_Pran, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your kind words have been passed on to our teams and particularly to Jeffer, Coco,Jessica and Eve who made your stay a pleasant one. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

H. Pranata

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in one of the villas with my husband, my 10 month-old-son and helper. The three floor villa is excellent, private pool, marble floors, very high and nice ceilings, two living rooms, three bedrooms (each room had a big flat screen TV and even bigger TVs in the living room). Two families can comfortably stay without disturbing each other.
It has a kitchen (oddly the kitchen is not mentioned in the description so we had to call and verify whether it exists), no microwave, no dishwasher (there was an electrical dish dryer though) and no kitchenware (only glasses). When we asked about it, the staff told us we can rent the kitchenware for 150Yuan/day which I found odd and expensive. These things usually comes with the apartment. Instead we took a taxi to downtown to a big supermarket and bought a cheap pan for 50yuan, some bowls (10yuan each) and a kitchen knife (for 10yuan).
There are four other very nice pools in the resort,one with a sand beach which my son really enjoyed. There is one indoor and one outdoor play are for kids. We were then in late June so it was terribly hot, my son only could play in the outdoor play area btw 6am-9am. Strangely, the outdoor play area was not child proof, it was surrounded my at least half a meter water (that looked dirty) and there were no barriers on the sides of the play area. A running child could easily run over and fall in the dirty water. Unfortunately the indoor play area had a terrible air conditioning: it seemed to be set too low and we were sweating inside. We asked the staff about it but it was the same so my son could not enjoy his time in the indoor play area in the afternoon when it gets hot. Our villa has perfect air conditioning and was much more comfortable. The western restaurant where you eat the breakfast had the same problem too, the AC was set too low.
The food at western restaurant was average but I liked the papaya-asparagus soup, we did not try the Chinese restaurant. There is another restaurant at the top with a magnificent view, top notch design but no customer. We asked about the menu but they said they do not serve food only drinks, so in the end we did not going there as well.
There is a private access to the beach area but we did not use the beach it was too wavy for my son and too hot though some used it in the early morning before it gets hot.
The number one rated restaurant is an Italian restaurant, great food with reasonable prices, is only five minute taxi ride. At the back entrance, you can find many taxis on the road passing or there are pirate taxis waiting to take you. Ask the taxis to put the meter on, they try to bargain with you asking for double, triple the price but there are still honest taxi drivers out there. Simply refuse that taxi and look for an honest one. We also took the pirate taxis but bargained the same amount a taxi would charge, they were very happy with the deal.
In sum, we enjoyed our holiday at our villa and resort. The resort and our villa had excellent facilities. The service is average (well, I guess this is the best you can get in China), they are trying to be helpful (sometimes taking shortcuts instead of doing their job perfectly) but most don't speak the language. So you have to look for the one that speaks well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gulseren M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort and Spa!

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We will share your information with our staff.

We glad that you satisfied with our villa and swimming pools, as well as our Red Sun Bar. Now we also serve food in Red Sun Bar which located in the 17th floor, to provide guest with different choices of restaurants (in additional of our western restaurant, Chinese restaurant, and Sea Food BBQ dinner by the pools)

In the same time, please allow me to express my sincerest apologize for any inconvenient during your stay in our hotel. Please rest assured that our Engineering department already re-set the Air Conditioning temperature to meet guest expectation.

Our Management team are considering about the additional fee for the kitchenware.

Our Public Area Manager and Recreation Manager will adjust the setting and lay out design of our playground to provide a safe environment for our young guest to play.

Our English teacher will enhance English training for our staff, to ensure a smooth communication with our guest.

At the same time we will improve the drawback and current shortcomings of hotel through improving hardware and software facilities so that we can provide an unforgettable experience for guests who stay in our hotel.

We appreciate your valuable concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

H. Pranata

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I spent 4 nights here attending a conference. This was in early summer, so it was muggy-hot-miserable around Sanya at the time. I've stayed at a Sanya resort before, so I knew what to expect. Lots of piped music and oppressed gardeners, pool cleaners, maids, etc. toiling in the heat. The short story here is that it's a nice hotel with good facilities, but the level of training (and English) of the staff is so dismal staying here was hard to enjoy. My room was fine, and since the conference organizer prepaid it, I don't really know how much it cost. Others who had to add a day or two told me they paid only in the 1,000 RMB/night range, which is good for this quality of resort. My room was fine. It had a balcony overlooking the pools and the ocean, and was well-equipped with all the usual modern upscale hotel stuff, balcony, glass bathroom with center-room tub and electric modesty curtain, complex lighting system, iron & board, monster TV you can't seem to keep off, minibar, and safe. Actually, the latter was my first problem. Roughly a hundred times, I followed the instructions to set a combination and failed every single time. I first reported this to the maid, which was utterly fruitless. Then I moved up the chain to the housekeeping supervisor. Still no joy. This was a backbreaking, not to say somewhat embarrassing, experience. I had two laptops and miscellaneous other valuables with me that I just couldn't risk leaving in my insecure room. This was all made worse because I lost my room key and had to get a replacement. Somebody somewhere had my room key. Now, not only was I afraid to leave valuables in my room, I was paranoid about everything. OK, I didn't expect anyone to steal my dirty underwear, but I wondered about books, shoes, mobile phone chargers, etc. I was walking around in the sweltering heat with all my stuff, clothes, electronics, bathroom kit! I was reduced to a sweaty beast of burden. By my third day, I was desperate. and ultimately reported the problem to the desk clerk. I was not optimistic here. Checking in had taken a full frustrating half-hour. How hard could it be? The room had been reserved by the conference organizer, I arrived just as the conference check-in process was starting up with several of their staff on hand, and I had no "special needs." As it turned out, I was wrong, depending on how you classify paranoid fear of petty hotel room theft. Later that day, an efficient young lady arrived with a remote device that opened up the safe. Great. It worked! Others with the same problem were not as lucky, so I heard. Some had to have their safes replaced. Not a trivial proposition. Anyway, finally able to think of other things, I realized the breakfasts were fine. Definitely not in the first tier of Chinese hotels, but quite OK. The beach is also nice, and quite lively in the evenings. There are several bars nearby that put out chairs and tables, and it becomes something of a local hotspot. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but fine by me. I have to observe however, there is a notable shortage of hotel bars. None of its own on the beach, one by pool and one on the 17th floor with a spectacular view that shuts up around 9 pm. They're not trying to create a party atmosphere for sure. Like many resorts in Sanya, Russian women spa-goers are literally and figuratively heavy on the ground. Get between one and the breakfast bacon tray and you won't stand a chance. I was here on a weekend, when families took over. Swarms of squealing kiddie winks everywhere being amused by men doing their sweaty duty in giant panda suits. Tough duty. The most irritating aspect of the place overall was the taxi and hire car system. To get a cab, you have to register with the bell hop. There's a grid of waiting taxis around the corner who he calls up as guests request one. Problem is, they charge roughly double the going taxi tariff. Yes double! Im not exaggerating. When a hotel bellman tells you what a cab fare should be, you tend to assume he has your, as a hotel guest, interests in mind. Not so here it seems. At first I thought this was some kind of scam. The bellman gives you an inflated fare estimate, which you believe and willingly pay. Then he gets a kick-back from the cab driver. Later I changed my mind, and now think perhaps this is actually how the hotel wants its guests treated. I also got the impression the cabbies don't like this arrangement much either. The one who took me to the airport seemed to be saying "sorry I have to shake you down but I've waited all morning to get a fare." To avoid this rip-off, you can haggle, which probably won't get you very far, or maybe just walk out to the street and hail a cab there. This isn't a remote location, after all. I had no problem with taxis I found myself. All drivers used their meters and were courteous and efficient. Well, maybe the haggling might work. I wasn't able to successfully do it for a taxi, but when I needed to hire a hotel car, the posted 700 RMB/day rate sank to 560. On the hired driven car,… This worked out well. It sounds like a lot of money, but it was very comfortable even with wifi, which worked fine, and the driver was friendly and helpful. In fact, the hire car wifi far outperformed the internet service in my room, which basically sucked. I was able to connect easily, but the performance was miserable overall and nonexistent at times. Overall, if you're looking for a nice hotel with modern amenities at a reasonable price, this Pullman might meet your requirements, but if you expect minimal staff competence and fair respectful treatment, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: View of the pool is nice, but the squealing kids can get wearing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank TravelIsWork
H_Pran, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa.

We are very pleased to read that you appreciated our hotel facilities, breakfast, and hotel’s car. As for the Bar, the normal closing time for Red Sun Bar (on the 17th floor) is actually 11.30 pm. Our FB Manager are investigating on the matter that it was closed at 9 pm during your stay.

Your feedback is very important to us. We will share your information with our staff. Please rest assured that the following action has been taken:
1.Our English teacher has enhanced English training for the staff, according to their English level and department.
2.Our Executive Housekeeper has checked the safe in all guest rooms, and in the same time, ensure that the room attendant will call the duty manager directly when there is a problem with the safe, so the problem will be handled straight away.
3.About the taxi, we signed a contract with the taxi company to be available in our hotel. The price is higher than the public taxi, but in return, we could provide a safe and reliable taxi for our guest without waiting too long for public taxi.
4.Our IT Manager already contact the internet company and we installed wifi in all guest room with the normal speed internet conection for China.

At the same time we will improve products and service so that we can provide an unforgettable experience for guests who stay in our hotel.

Thanks again for your kind feedback. We expecting your next journey in Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort and Spa.

Helen Pranata

Reviewed July 1, 2013

loved this hotel, We stayed for 6 nights. The gardens and pools are so well looked after, the quality of the hotel is excellent, i had to score the breakfast down because the HOT breakfast foods were COLD, on the last day i was there i asked if they could heat my plate in the microwave. The only other thing that let the place down was the "pool guys" they were not welcoming or friendly AT ALL, unlike all the other staff in the hotel, they wouldnt even say hello to you, they just stood there and glared at you with attitude.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

With my wife we spent 2 nights in may (mid-season) and enjoy a really perfect stay in this Pullman resort.
Building and facilities are still brand new and with nice modern asian style for all the decoration. Bedrooms all get wide sea view, complete bathroom equipment as excellent bedding.
Staff at the lobby, the restaurant and at the roof bar were all smiling and very polite as doing their job on a very professional way... it'first time i see that in China !
Location is also not too bad : sea is ok, beach private installation are perfect and, 100m west from the hotel, you have a good restaurant on the beach (10 RMB the long neck beer !... not to expensive for Sanya)
We also enjoy huge breakfast buffet (western & chinese) and a night barbecue in the gardens of the Pullman with great staff for cooking and serving us.
Really a good experience, making time and stress to stop and taking the good side of Sanya, with only good treatment for us. We,ll go there again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple