“Very nice resort, quality service, spacious rooms, worth to stay”

InterContinental Sanya Resort
Ranked #20 of 1,329 Hotels in Sanya
Beijing, China
“Very nice resort, quality service, spacious rooms, worth to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is one of the flagship resorts of Intercontinental's resorts in Asia, the resort occupies over 130k square meters and has its own beaches and a number of beach restaurants, the resort even has a Chinese restaurant built on the piers extending to the sea.

We have stayed two nights at this resort. The resort offered special discount for ambassador members to upgrade to the club room, so we upgraded our room to the club floor with less than US$100 per day. The club lounge of this resort is worthy, the breakfast and happy hours are better than the club lounge of many other IHG hotels. In addition, the lounge is around the beach but also in a quiet area, thus making the lounge a very cozy place.

Although the resort has been built for years, the rooms are still well furnished, especially the balcony and the bathroom are very spacious. We even had a Jacuzzi pool at the balcony though it was too cold when we were there.

The location of the resort is relatively isolated so that the beaches are mainly for resort guests, whilst the resort is also not far from the Sanya downtown.

In all, we have stayed a very wonderful two days at the resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank popodino
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear popodino
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. As an Intercontinental Ambassador member it is our pleasure to have you staying with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, the Club Intercontinental benefits and the serenity of our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was really a fantastic resort, my 5-year-old son is very happy with the pool and kids club, especially entertainment room. This was a very relaxing stay which was made by the pleasant staff and the comfortable rooms and hotel facilities.

Upon check in, the staff were very pleasant to provide welcome drinks and candy for kids. The room was quite big and clean, private and homelike. The kids club provide many attractive activities, my son loves all of them. The free shuttle bus service to Dadonghai area and duty free shop made it convenient to see different parts of Sanya. There was also a small supermarket within a very short walking distance, convenient for buying some snacks when necessary.

Breakfast is very good and delicious, there are so many fresh fruits and many kinds of food, you could also sit outdoors, facing the sea to enjoy a sumptuous breakfast with your family.

I will strongly recommend not just only my friends, even those who is looking for quite place to relax.

2 Thank Nancy Z
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Nancy Z
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and the service. It was great to see your 5 year old enjoying the kids club and the games room. I will pass on your kind feedback to our team and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pleasantly surprised even we expected the consistent intercontinental service but still must admit that this particular resort excelled. On its own private beach with different areas with resaurants and bars, pools and spa catered for every need. Only downside was the other guests seemed too excited running around shouting loudly spoilt the place could be a piece of paradise on the island.

Room Tip: Those water rooms overlooking the pound with huge verandah could be very relaxing without noisy neig...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Ynhchina
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and Resort facilities. I apologise for the unruly behavior of some guests. If we know about this we speak to these guests and ask them to be more considerate of others. Happy Chinese New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Four magic days in paradise, arriving Christmas day and leaving on 29th December. My family of three stayed in a Club room, which provided generously for breakfast, late lunch, and dinner/drinks - all included in the club room rate.

Billy in the Mediterraneano Restaurant (I think he was the manager) couldn't do enough for us - the service all around was exactly what you'd expect of a 5-star Hotel of this calibre.

Used most of the facilities including the Gym (pretty decent selection of new cardio equipment), and a couple of fun evenings in the Beer Factory where they brew beer on site (try the lager!). Some pool tables on the 3rd floor which I think few people had discovered because they looked brand new.

Best of all - plenty for the kids to do while Mum and Dad enjoy of coffee or sleep in. Hot pool, games room, and kids activities on all day.

Combining this great resort with the first-class golf courses available on the island made for a magic time in paradise.

An unforgettable family holiday experience. Will definitely be back in 2014.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Seaview room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear NigelC497

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the room and facilities of Club Intercontinental. Thank you also for your kind comments about our team and in particular Billy Zhu our Restaurant Manager. I will pass on your appreciation. Happy New Year and we hope to spend Christmas with you and your family again this year.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Every winter, we are all going to Sanya for a few days, lived almost all of Sanya's five Stars Hotel, but almost only select this hotel for recent two years, since the rooms are very large, hotel is beautiful, the staff were warm and friendly, the food is also very good. In order to avoid the serious air pollution in Shanghai this year, I was alone with my two babies lives in the past two weeks, one year old daughter and three years old son, in those two weeks, hotel staff gave me a great help, to remember everything I need, offering to help look after the children, the children to drink milk, i need extra water, are all available. Lunch at the restaurant, though on the menu I'd like porridge for breakfast is provided, but the restaurant chef is still cooked for my baby. Kids very happy playing here.my son was crying the day we have to leave, and I promise I'll bring them back soon, to play in the kids's Club, went swimming in the heated swimming pool, you can also go to the beach playing in the sand, Yes, we will be back soon!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Jingduval
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort.
We are very happy to welcome you and your lovely family back each winter. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our facilities and our team. Sanya has the freshest air in China and it is a very healthy place for your young children to enjoy their holidays. We look forward to seeing your young family return very soon.
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I will start off by saying that the exterior of the hotel is reasonably well maintained with a good selection of pools (included a heated pool) to choose from. The hotel rooms however are a hit and miss. We had to change rooms during our 3 night stay so got to compare the rooms. Parts of the room looks tired and needs upkeep especially the bathroom. Silicon waterproofing were flaking off and mould build up is apparent. The bathroom however is spacious with dual basins.

The service standard for a 5 star establishment was inconsistent across the staff at the hotel. The service desk was friendly and accommodating to our needs and requirements. English competency levels needs to improve. We were referred to the desk manager whenever a questioned was asked in English. Other ground service staff however were less than desirable. It would be fair to say that some can be considered rude. Culturally I can concede that people in this country are loud and comes across harsh toned. Maybe because they need to talk over the noise. But there is no place for this when you are working in the hospitality industry. Our experience of this rudeness comes when Daniel Han, our buggy driver, was called upon to drive us from our room to the hotel restaurant. This is necessary as the hotel covered a lot of ground and the front desk had suggested we use this service as an alternative to walking. Daniel proceeded to ask us where we were going. We responded with "The Mediterranean". He then grunted "in mandarin". Baring in mind our Mandarin skills are limited and the restaurant had no Chinese equivalent that we could have conveyed to him. It took a little while before he got the idea of where this restaurant was supposed to be. Mind you there are only 3 eateries at this premise and I find it amusing that the hotel staff are unaware of the English names of these restaurants. We were rather unfortunate to come across Daniel again after dinner. Once again grunting. Hotel management needs to have this addressed with him. Totally unacceptable!!!!!

As this is categorised under a "resort" one would expect it to be exclusive especially when it carries the Intercontinental brand. This is not the case at Sanya. The resort is open to random locals of Sanya who are here for a day visit. The place looks and feels like a local park. Comparable to the local park at Peoples Square in Shanghai!!!!!

All in all we are less than impressed with our stay here. Will not come back! For those who are consider in stating here, please make sure you do your research thoroughly!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in December, having stayed at Conrad Haitang Bay for 3 nights prior (separate review: Conrad is a real 5 star hotel). I used an annual certificate redemption. I am IHG platinum.

Positives:

1. Staff did allow an extension of 2pm check out, since I had a 6pm outbound flight.
2. A plate of fruits was brought to my room acknowledging plat status.
3. Free transportation was provided to the airport. Clean van. Now crowded. I was the only passenger.

Now my many complaints:

1. First impression when approaching hotel lobby: vast grounds but poorly designed (the comment on design is subjective) and poorly maintained property. Landscaping not in good shape. Furnishing outdated and not clean.

2. Once in the room, my disappointment increases. Again, old and poorly maintained. Furniture battered and not clean. Low quality bedding. It does not look like an IC property at all. There is an outdoor shower without a practice purpose, since people can see you from outside, and there is a shower inside already.

3. I strolled around the property. The pool is plain looking without any amenities. It was empty actually, I think it's because it doesn't look inviting at all. Beach is dirty with construction going on, and the chairs are crowded with loud guests with no manners, which brings to my next criticism

4. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is this hotel appears to attract a group of uneducated clients with no manners. Loud, spitting in public places, allowing kids to pee in public, smoking, singing & yelling in the corridor in the middle of the night. It's just bad.

5. Treatment of platinum members: at check in, I was told by staff, quite rudely, that my room won't be upgraded (I don't mind this much), and no breakfast will be offered, because I used an award redemption. I was told this is the uniform policy for all China IC properties. I mentioned my previous stay at IC Shanghai Puxi, where plat status was honored, but staff sounded doubtful and held on to the No. Later a supervisor called my room and offered 20% off breakfast. By then I already looked around the entire property and did not feel like eating in any restaurant on site.

6. Service: staff were behaving OK, but carry an undertone of distrust. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that they deal with customers with no manner all the time. IC should really do something to discourage bad behavior, because it causes the general atmosphere to suffer.

7. Location: not too far from town, but there are no food choices within easy walking distance (there are a few eateries across the street in the condo area but they are almost vacant and barely open).

Overall impression: price is quite high but poorly maintained and does not qualify as a 5-star beach resort. You can find much better value in Sanya!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RaindropOC
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Irvine92606
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and your feedback will assist us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. My sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience as a Platinum member and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future . Thank you