“Could be easier”

Ranked #19 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
shanghai
“Could be easier”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I think I would have really liked this place had our room not been such a walk to everything. The place is so huge that you need to hitch rides with the golf carts to get from A to B. Plus our room took 3 flights of stairs to get to, so it really was tiring even going out for meals! In addition, ordering was a complete nightmare. Every single time we ordered ( at 3 different places), our order was wrong. The vegetarian risotto on the menu turned out to be rice with seafood and meat when received. I ordered 2 different entrees, one never came, and the other received was totally different. It just always seemed that whatever ingredients listed on the menu, were never quite the same when we got it. Rosemary potatoes arrived with bacon, the 'green' salad that said there was asparagus didn't come with it, yet had red tomatoes. This is speaking in Chinese, English, and pointing at the item on the menu! Anyhow, I do have to note though that the food at the Cantonese restaurant is very good. The other venues served pretty average food and the pizza is way too sweet (although I'm told the locals like it sweet)
Our room was very nice and comfortable though and staff on the whole were incredibly cordial.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear sjhou1
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff friendliness. Your feedback regarding some of the menu items has been forwarded to our Culinary team for their attention and rectification. Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding your visit to our over the sea Chinese Restaurant. We appreciate your comments and will continue to pay attention to our continuous improvement and guest service . With best regards Geoffrey Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 25, 2012

After two nights at the St Regis Sanya we moved to the Inter-Continental by the Xiaodonghai Bay. It looks like the whole beach is taken up by a huge property development with many high-rise blocks of residential buildings plus two hotels, one being the Inter-Continental and the being Serenity Coast Resort, a local brand.

I picked this hotel mainly because of my Starwood membership and also because I had had very good experiences at other Inter-Continental properties. Unfortunately, I didn’t look at the hotel websites’ pictures closely, and therefore did not realise that the hotel was built in the minimalist style. It was therefore a great disappointment for all of us when we got to the hotel. Somehow, we expect the “sun and beach” resort hotels to be built in tropical styles, whereas the minimalist style is probably more suited to business hotels in big cities. This is of course entirely personal.

We bought a club package which included access to the club lounge for breakfast and happy-hour snacks, an afternoon tea set for two, a dim-sum lunch set for two, cash coupons worth 500 yuan (about US$78) for food and beverages, plus free wi-fi in our room and the lounge. This was really great value, for it turned out that we didn’t need to spend any money on food and drinks at all in those two nights. The cash coupons were enough to pay for our son’s food bill.

While there were not too many choices for breakfasts, everything was so well done that we really could not complain. The cold dishes, juices, bread, yogurt, fruits and deserts were presented in a buffet style, but you could also order things like eggs and meat cooked to your liking, including eggs benedict, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes.

The happy-hour snacks from 5-7pm were even better. There was unlimited supply of alcoholic beverages (from champagne to wine and whisky), plus different kinds of snacks (including smoked salmon) and light meals (such as pastas, pies and soup) every night. For us, there was absolutely no need for dinner after the snacks.

Our Cantonese dim sum set lunch took us to the Chinese restaurant located about 100 metres offshore in a series of houses built on water. It turned out to be an all-you-can-eat lunch, each dish prepared to order. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent quality of food, which compared favourably with that at the fine restaurants in Hong Kong where we live.

Finally, a few words about the rooms. The hotel’s main building is a high-rise (probably 12 storeys) with hundreds of rooms right behind the beach. There are two swimming pools that are open to all guests, one is a small rectangular lap pool next to the coffee shop, while the other is a huge fun pool with water slides and other facilities for the kids. Unfortunately the fun pool was closed for maintenance when we were there. The club section is located to the left of the main building near the far end of the beach. It is a sprawling two-storey structure that encircles a huge garden with numerous trees and lotus ponds. The upper-floor rooms come with balconies, while the lower-floor rooms have their private outdoor soaking pool about the size of a single bed. The view from the room is therefore very pleasant, even though the architectural style is not my cup of tea. Next to the club lounge is a sandy pool for club guests only. The problem with this pool is that you only need a few people to kick up a sandstorm, and you just cannot see anything when you’re in the water. I much prefer a crystal-clear pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank allanng2004
Dear AllenNg2004,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate your detailed review of your visit as it will help our team to improve our services. Your comments regarding our different architectural design are noted and I agree that this is subjective. Our resort has received numerous awards for design and style and is generally well received due to its originality and spacious contemporary feel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Summer holiday package with all the food coupons. Our Dim Sum lunch at our over the sea Chinese Restaurant is extremely popular and the Dim Sum is fresh and delicious. Our Club pool has a sand bottom which is different from our other large pools which have a tiled bottom.
Again I thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you back at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Singapore
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We selected this resort for its architectural design and stayed for 2 nights in a villa.

Location: Relatively near town. Unfortunately, this part of the beach isn't the prettiest especially during low tide.

Service: Efficient but cool.

Room: Clean but there's some wear & tear.

Food: Breakfast was fine. Buffet dinner was ok except that the seafood BBQ station was so crowded. We had to queue & wait for our lobster which turned out to be half-cooked.

There's nothing really bad about this resort but with the kind of options we have in Sanya, it's unlikely we will return.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had somewhat high expectations on the property given that it was ranked top 5 in Sanya and the pictures we saw online lifted our hopes high. We even convinced 2 other families to stay here with us despite they strong inclination to stay in the 2 other best properties in this area - the Mandarin and Ritz. We actually felt sorry that they had to join us in part of the below expectation experience.

We didn't recalled being introduced to any facilities or opening hours during the check-in. Given the extensive area of the property, we actually had to look around or ask proactively where all the facilities were. The signages are so unclear and incontinuous that they won't really guide you to the destination. There was the option of buggy car transfer around the property, but the chauffeurs hardly slowed down at bumps even when kids were onboard.

We requested for a baby cot upon reservations but not until the third time we reminded them after check-in that they deliver the cot. Also, of the 4 nights we stayed, we only noticed one night of turn-down service. On the day we arrived, a chambermaid actually came after we checked into the room, confessing that the fruit plate was for the previous guest and they had forgotten to change it. Unfortunately, I already had a few bites in one of them.

My friends came a couple of days after us, but failed to locate us at the front desk because they had forgotten to put our name in the system, ie our room was still under the previous guests' name!

The property looks impressively huge in the morning, but after sunset, it transformed into a cold castle because there was hardly enough lighting around the hotel. The main hallway connecting the front office and main wing, and even the narrow and steep spiral staircase leading down to the children's playground had completely NO lighting!

Menu items were at hotel price point but street stall standard. One could immediately tell the low food cost here because most dishes were either vegetarian or made with meagre frozen seafood. Service was either laxed or inexperienced even during breakfast rush. Both the waiting staff and chefs had poor knowledge of the menu. For example questions about ingredients could not be answered with certainty and my friend had an order of eggs benedict without hollandais sauce.

At the pool and beach, only one pool attendant at the family lagoon out of the 3 pools we used in 4 days actually came proactively to offer towels or set the chairs.

In terms of housekeeping, they were stingy in offering towels and bottled water (maybe being environmental was the excuse). For the first two nights, the three of us in a room only had 2 big bath towels and 2 smaller face towels.

When asked if there were any local restaurants or markets outside the hotel, different staff members gave varying directions to the same destination, leaving us very confused. We actually repeated one of the instructions given by the hotel to the taxi driver but could not reach the destination because it was ambiguous. Yet another staff member actually discouraged us from eating out and dine in the hotel instead. If the hotel had better value for money food, we of course were willing to dine in.

All in all, there were many mishaps here and there that made our experience not perfectly 5 star. One could tell some staff members have tried very hard to offer good service. However, due to poor management and training (we actually hardly notice any managers in the restaurants or public areas!), this hotel still has a long way to become a real top 5 star property. Not to mention all the complexity of service consistency, just the fact that relatively low cost internet access was not offered is already a big demerit.

The only plus is perhaps the spaciousness and view from the rooms.

Room Tip: Book only packages through travel agents. NEVER book directly from hotel and it tends to offer very...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LOSIR
Dear Losir
Thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for your recent vacation. I also thank you for taking the time to share your disappointments with your detailed feedback. After examining your comments with our team we have put together an action plan to rectify the areas you have highlighted. We are focused on rectifying these challenges quickly to ensure our guests receive the highest quality service in our luxury resort. With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 25, 2012

It is definately worth to get a sea view room. These rooms have the entire view of the bay. Get a room higher than 6th floor.
The pools are great. The free form pools are huge and the beach is very private indeed.
Game rooms and planet trakkers are a great place to go if it is raining or you are tired of swimming.
You need to get club intercontinental if possible. When we were there they have a singer there and the mood was great.
Breakfast at the mediterano restaurant was of high quality, worth every penny.
Service is impecable, staff is friendly and always willing to help.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms a must. Splurge on club intercontinental.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Chow Tien W
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the views from the room and the Resort facilities. As you say we have one of the best Club Intercontinentals in Asia and I am glad that you enjoyed the live music and atmosphere. I will pass on your comments to our team regarding the friendly and enthusiastic service you experienced. Again thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Sanya Resort and we hope to welcome you back soon. Geoffrey Ryan
macau
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at IC Sanya from May 20 to 22nd.
I am a regular client of Intercontinental Hotels, especially in China, where I live for the last 11 years, and hotels matching professional service and attitude are not easy to find, out of Shanghai or Beijing.
From the 21 Intercontinental Hotels in China, I already stayed with 14,some newer, other older, but the same consistency in service,... except this IC Sanya.
I have mixed feelings about my stay, as I met some very attentive and professional staff, but also the very opposite!!
Following some troubles we had during our short stay, Mr Geoffrey Ryan, General Manager of the property, came to inquire about it ,and we had a nice talk.
I thank Mr Geoffrey Ryan for his attentive kindness, and , to send us back to the airport with his car.
As I mentioned, I found little or no consistency on services and staff attitude, and poor English understanding in general.
We booked a rate called” IN THE KNOW PACKAGE”, from the IC website.
The rate description itself is rather confusing, not to mention the name!!!

"Free daily breakfast for 2 adults One noontime dimsum taste at sea pavilionor one set dinner in Beer Factory with 48 hour in advance for reservation One afternoon tea in Hai Lounge Offer voucher of RMB 500 as credit in food and beverage use but consumption RMB300 can use one coupon value at RMB100 ".....confusing!!

With this rate we get 5 RMB 100, coupons, each for more than RMB 300 F&B consumption.
I tried to use it at the Sea Pavilion Chinese restaurant, and it was refused.
As nobody speaks a word of English in this restaurant, and the restaurant is far from the main building I had to wait someone with English knowledge to claim, that finally arrived and confirmed I was right.
But then gave me to sign, the bill without the coupon rebate amount, kept the coupon with her, and said I would later find the coupon deducted at check-out. I insisted on the nonsense of that, as in such situation,as rebate was not in the bill, I only had to show the coupons at check-out, and rebate on total F&B consumption amount, not case by case.
She was confused, insisted that I should sign, which again I refused, so she printed another bill without any description but the total amount, as street food stalls do.
How to use these coupons must be clear both for customers and staff.
The darkest episode of my stay. We ordered a taxi to go to a restaurant at Dadonghai Bay, we where given an hotel card, with the name of the restaurant in Chinese but no address or Phone number.
On the way ,the taxi driver, received a call, stopped and push us out, not unusual in Sanya (I can’t see how China will turn Hainan into a serious International Resort with this general dishonest attitudes of tourism industry players, such as taxis, restaurants,guides and others).
As nobody knew the restaurant address, I called the hotel to asked for the restaurant’s phone number.
Firstly, I couldn’t find anybody with reasonable English. Then I received a call back, from the Duty Manager , with a not proper attitude, also very common in China, of not admitting the hotel didn’t have the said number, pushing me to come back the hotel, with a taxi he would send me, losing my time, with the classic “please wait a moment”, calling again and again and finally an hour later send me an hotel car to take me to restaurant. When we arrived they asked the restaurant for their phone number!!
They offered to come again and pick us up, but I was not happy and refused it, so we went back by taxi.
In China I’ve seen big changes and gigantic improving, everywhere.
I stay an average of 4/5 nights a month at the Intercontinental Shanghai Expo, a hotel that turned into Ghost, at the end of the Expo 2010, despite of the incredible location and facilities.
Today is one of the busiest Luxury Hotels in Shanghai.
I praise Mr Larry Lv, Executive Assistant Manager of IC Shanghai Expo,for the amazing job he did with the staff attitude, pride and motivation, that made this true.
I’m sure Mr Geoffrey Ryan, is working hard on this, as indeed IC Sanya is nice Hotel in a beautiful location, with very tasty food, excellent resort facilities, but still lacks of professional “software”.

Mario Costa

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mariomacau
Dear Mr Costa
Thank you choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner and to receive your feedback regarding your stay. It is through loyal and concerned guests like yourself that help our team to improve our services. As you point out you experienced some challenges with our recent promotional package. We have since doubled our training to ensure there are no further misunderstandings. I have also increased training with our Concierge team so that all our guests are given full details of the external restaurants they are visiting. We appreciate your nice comments about our Resorts's beautiful location , tasty food and excellent facilities. I hope to welcome you and Elena back to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. Thank you again .Geoffrey Ryan
NJ
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This property is great, though unfortunately not located at the prettiest stretch of the ocean beach front in Sanya. Multiple restaurants/bars, different pool areas (one is heated), a game room, and various room types/configurations, a resort representative of the Intercontinental name. We were generously upgraded to a club villa (though it may not be as exclusive or private as some sophisticated resort travelers may be used to) as a PCR Royal Ambassador, which afforded us an outdoor patio area complete with a cabana, shower head, and a small square pool. We had some issues with the outdoor lighting in our unit, but the maintenance crews worked hard to correct the deficiencies, though it took a long time. The Club space and food offerings in the evening (made-to-order pasta) were excellent, too bad my travel companion insisted on going to the regular buffet for breakfast (which was quite disappointing in terms of service and selection). The feel of this resort was entirely different than that of the Sanya Renaissance, the sense of grandeur does not exist here and there are rocky patches along most of the shallow beach areas out front, so if your primary focus is on the sand/beach, then perhaps there are other hotels more suited for that.

Room Tip: the villa is nice but is not a true single detached private space
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GeoffreyDalian, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear RM_1272

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort for your recent vacation. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed all the benefits from your Ambassador status , in particular our Club Intercontinental. We have noted your comments regarding our breakfast restaurant and will continue to improve as you have suggested. We very much appreciate your feedback and hope that you return to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort soon. Geoffrey Ryan