“Good value for money”

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed June 18, 2009

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Lovely hotel, beach and pools. The beach is metres away from a very busy pier with large tour groups strolling through the beach area nearly all day. I have no idea if the people using the hotel beach deck chairs are guests or not due to this. I doubt it. Did not bother us, as a stroll up the beach will find a very quiet area if you enjoy a lie on the perfect white sand.
The pool set-up is 5 star and very peaceful. If you have young kids on the hotel beach, be prepared to have them photographed often by the tour groups. If i was a kid, i would go back up to the pool as i noticed it was never ending!
Rooms are splendid all round, as with the views, and the balcony spa which did have hot water. Staff were fine, no problems. Some more variety in fruit for breakfast is needed. It's a tropical island, where was the fresh coconut!
Bus car park across the road is unfortunate, the very loud bus horns are common all day, so if your on that side of the hotel, get ready or get out. This hotel location does have maybe one of the best views on the bay though.
The taxi drivers, real and fake, are an annoyance on the driveway of this hotel. For the most part, be careful there. Big tip** Take the public bus that goes directly past the hotel. One of them is double decker open air and goes all the way into town for 7 yuan and do not listen to those taxi drivers.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Australian74
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Overall I really enjoyed this resort. There isn't much to do other than sleep, lounge on the beach, dip in the pool, massage, and eat. But that's exactly what I wanted for my quick 4 day / 3 night getaway (from crazy Hong Kong) with my girlfriend and our friends. For this time of year, it was rainy at night, but beautifully sunny for the whole day.

The Room:
The four of us shared a 2-bedroom flat. It had 2 bathrooms (1 is ensuite). Both bedrooms are comparable in size. The one bathroom (not the ensuite) is a bit smaller in contrast. But accommodations were very generous - top quality linens, furnitures, giant 42" television in the living room, and also 32" televisions in each bedroom. There is also a kitchen (though we didn't cook) and a washer/dryer (which was handy).

My only complaint is the toiletries provided were a bit below standard for this sort of establishment. From my previous trips to Thailand, I was expecting higher quality spa products, as opposed to cheap shampoo with funky colouring.

On the plus side, I loved the quiet and cold a/c. It's dead quiet in the room - so peaceful. The mattress and linens are also very comfortable. I never slept so well!

The room also had a spacious balcony with a cold jacuzzi for two. Though there isn't much sunlight on the balcony, nor where the jacuzzi is situated. But the view from our room of the resort and the ocean was spectacular. If you leave your balcony doors open, you can hear the sound of the ocean from your living room. I liked it!

The Facilities:
1. Pools - there are 3 pools, including one which has an "in water" pool bar. There is enough water real estate such that you don't feel cramped. I enjoyed the infinity style edges overlooking the ocean. I also liked the pool side cabanas for lounging and suntanning.

2. Beach - is seconds from the pool. It's a private beach and not a lot of people. I was surprised by the soft sand and cleanliness (comparable to Phuket). There are also private lounge chairs with umbrellas on the beach. Though for food/drinks, you will need to venture to the public side of the beach (2min away), or bring stuff down from the hotel pool side.

I'd recommend buying food/drinks from local supermarket (so much cheaper - like 1/3 the price of hotel), then just cool that in your kitchen, and bring it down to the beach. I did this with loads of beer, it worked great.

3. Restaurant - there is just one. It offers international/chinese buffet. Overall I didn't think it was that great. It's also pretty expensive. But for one or two nights, it's ok.

Alternatively, I would suggest going into town if you're adventurous. Or better yet, just take a 3min taxi to the Crown Hotel, located in a large complex with shops/ restaurants/ supermarket. You can eat there, or pick up groceries and cook for yourself in your kitchen.

4. Spa - it's located underground, with the entrance next to a pool. The bunker feel to it is quite neat. I should disclaim that I'm not a spa guru. Nonetheless, I opted for a 90 min Thai massage. For the price I've had better in Phuket. But it was still very good quality.

Conclusion:
If you're looking for a quiet resort escape - lounging, pool side cabanas, infinity pools, and beaches, then this is the place for you.

I recommend going with friends, and sharing the 2-bedroom suite. With the large living room and enormous TV, you can have your own party in your suite, while relaxing during the day.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank MRCarrot
Reviewed October 25, 2008

This hotel has an extremely bad location right next to the main street that takes the millions of tourist to what seems like the only pier in this area. The fact that it's just along the main road doesn't help with the noise and the chinese bus drivers are under the impression that the more they toot their horns, the faster things move.

The staff barely have a decent command of English and honestly, I have met friendlier bears.

Breakfast has got everything for the mainland folks but not much really for people who looking for a savoury meal.

We have a little son and he had trouble sleeping during the day because of the noise (read bus drivers and road proximity). To make matters worst, The hotel stuff refused to give us another room because we were not "booked in a Seaview Suite". Not something that one did expect from a 5 start hotel and especially not one that was doing its pre-opening.

Beach, is very close to the Jetty that takes off to one of the other outlying islands so expect another million Chinese to come along and gawk. You did think that the pool would be better. Think again. Even local hotel Chinese guests being who they are make you feel like some specimen in the zoo. Go at the wrong time and you will understand what sardines in a can feel like.

We are staying in this hotel here right now and even after the first day we were looking forward to going home. All in all as cliche as this may sound, this is my first time in China and in this hotel and it will definitely be my last.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank sonja01
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Overall, my 4 day, 3 night stay was really enjoyable. We had a twin "garden view" room but were upgraded to Ocean View. Given that the hotel is located just off the white, powdery beach it was brilliant. Am in the restaurant industry myself , travelling with a chef, and was pleasantly surprised by hotel's food - expected inedible dishes but they did simple things quite well. Prices were expensive for Sanya, but about average for nice beach resorts in Asia. Hotel was rather full during my stay - their restaurant is not equipped to deal with such high volume. Make the effort to go early as it turns into a zoo after 9.30am.

As with most Sanya hotels, English proficiency was poor throughout. Was travelling with two kiwis and they wouldn't have been able to get by without my basic mandarin. The general clientele consisted of abrasive Chinese families and their famous manners (screaming children, loud parents, generally unpleasant company for those used to pristine resort islands like Bali), and a very small propotion of young to middle aged Russians.

The rooms were comfortable and very modern, I am really picky about bathrooms and it was a good one. The cold water only jacuzzi was actually pleasant given my sunburn. Nice plasma TV with cable, comfy couches. Didn't like that our twin room had single beds as opposed to twin ones - that seems to be common in China as a whole though.

Concierge was rather disappointing - didn't expect much to begin with but there were absolutely zero useful suggestions and recommendations of food places. They tended to pack you up to the closest tourist trap even though I spoke mandarin. Definitely look up reviews, addresses and maps online because they are little help, not even stocking maps of the city or knowledgeable about the more well known dining locations in town.

Pool was fantastic. Really comfortable deck chairs and cabanas. Bring a ton of sunblock, the pool itself lacks any shady spots and the sun is brutal.

For fellow foodies, do stop in the following as we had very good experiences, even though we weren't that adventurous and just visited the bigger, more famous restaurants that I'd seen reviews of:

Dongjiao yelin seafood - reviews all say it was very expensive but I found it more than reasonable for its food quality. Beautiful steamed fish. In dadong hai.

Mediterranea - Surprisingly good babaganoush, hummus, pizza and pasta. Had a shisha which was well prepared by the owner himself. Located along the Sanya river.

Grilled food stalls - just out from Aegean, walk left on the beach. There is one particular food stall that has fridges for all its products and barbeques a variety of items to order. It's dingy, but delicious. Chicken and corn on the cob were brilliant.

Dumpling House - Located inside the mall connected to Crowne Plaza (2 minutes cab ride from Aegean). Their pan fried Chicken and Mushroom dumplings and the pork and chive steamed dumplings were really tasty. Packed the leftovers and microwaved them at the hotel the next day for a really satisfying snack.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank foodbuzz
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband and I had a very enjoyable 3 night stay at this new resort hotel. We secured some good off-season rates from an on-line Sanya travel agent.

Although we booked a mountain view room, we were given a ground floor room adjacent to one of the three pools - hardly anyone used this pool, so it was nice and private. ( a mountain view room may have looked on to the road).

We agree with all the positive comments by travelsnob1. The jetty did not cause us a problem, the water was hot enough, and while the internet was a little slow, it was free of charge. We also welcomed the clothes washer that was provided in the room, however we were surprised to see that there was no iron supplied.

The decor, fittings and finishes in the room and in the hotel were all first class.

We only had breakfast and one buffet dinner at the hotel - both were very good. The breakfast buffet offered a good mix of Asian and Western food. The only problem we found with the restaurant was that the air-conditioning was not coping with the hot weather and also doors opened to the outside which would not have helped.

If you are looking for a relaxing beachside holiday, then this resort at Yalong Bay is the place to go. Just remember to take the sunscreen and umbrella during the summer season.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple