“Get away in luxury”
Review of Banyan Tree Sanya

Banyan Tree Sanya
Ranked #9 of 1,356 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Before visiting the BT in Sanya I read many of the reviews on this site. I gotta tell ya, some of them are missing the point of this place.

The grounds are impeccable and beautifully designed. The common spaces allow the sense of relative privacy and there is never a sense of crowding. The dining rooms are equally spacious and impeccably designed. The size of the property relative to the number of villas and guests transcends spaciousness.

Our villa was lovely, and clean, and the attention from the staff to maintenance was top notch. We could have used a bit more explanation concerning the use of the electronics and hot tub, but had everything figured out through some simple trial and error. The spa was nice, and the Thai massage a delight. My wife had a facial which wasn't the best she ever had, but pleasurable nonetheless.

Here's what you need to remember:
1.) You're in China.
2.) You're in China.

We've visited a number of cities in China, and stayed in only top notch hotels, including BTs. What the staff here MAY lack in training, they make up for in willingness to please. Treat the staff respectfully and a little patience, and you will be repaid with unlimited effort.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 31, 2009

it was our first experience with the Banyan resort so I must say the family (of 7) were pretty impressed with the beautiful villas and the private pools (we occupied a 2-bedroom and a single room pool villas). i do agree that there weren't a lot to see in sanya but since we were a group of decent size and all adults we came up with gd enuf activities to entertain ourselves. actually we were happy to be 'left alone' and just relax the time in the resort. staff was accomodating with good attitude although service was a little slow at checkins and by the pool. also more training is still needed (e.g. forgot to serve tablewares and napkins with food). the spa was very nice - soothing almost zen felt ambience with good massages... mind you sanya was known to be a city of cheaters from taxi drivers to restaurants so better pre-arrange transports and do enuf homework if you do plan to venture out of the resort/hotel for some city sighting.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ShhConnie
Reviewed January 15, 2009

1. Upon arrival at Sanya Airport at around 8:30 pm, we (2 adults & 2 teenage children) were hounded by intimidating looking taxi drivers soliciting for business. I called Banyan Tree Sanya (BTS) to arrange a hotel limousine to fetch us on an emergency basis. By 9:00 pm, Sanya Airport closed for business, and switched off all lights in the Arrival Hall. We had to wait there for the driver in darkness.

2. On our way to BTS, we realized that the driver was a contractor, and charged RMB200 (cheaper than the hotel limousine's RMB520). Sanya looked very ordinary, and soon, we decided that there was nothing pretty to look at. My wife (from Kota Kinabalu) was surprised to find Sanya looked so much like Sabbah.

3. As we entered the BTS front gate, the resort looked really impressive and exclusive. At night, the Central Quad (around which the Reception, Lounges, Restaurants, Bars, Souvenir Shop clustered) looked palatial and had an Oriental feel to it. The reception staff made us feel like VIPs. A buggy took us to our 2 Bedroom Villa (one of 61 villas), through winding paths & tropical garden landscapes, and over wooden bridges.

4. On arrival at our Villa, our 2 chidren were thrilled by everything in sight:
(1) a Garden with a Swimming Pool, 2 deck chairs and an outdoor Jaccuzzi (though unheated);
(2) a master bedroom with direct and immediate access to the Pool through a sliding glass door, and equiped with an LCD TV, a DVD Player, and Ethernet chord and socket;
(3) a huge Ensuite Toilet with a Shower-Steam Room;
(4) an outdoor Lotus Pond adjoining the Toilet; the Pond's centre piece is a huge Bathtub big enough to easily contain Yao Ming;
(5) an ensuite Upper Bedroom, accessible via outdoor Steps from the Garden;
(6) a Sitting-Dinning room (across the garden) with an Opium Bed, a round 4 seater dining table and an LCD TV;

5. But we found some shortcomings in our Villa that the Management should hopefully eradicate:
(1) stubborn deposits on the marble floor tiles in the bedrooms and toilets, due probably to their never being scrubbed (although they were wiped or mopped);
(2) the TV menus in both LCD TVs only showed Chinese language and had no language select;
(3) the outdoor Pond and Bathtub, though confined within an Enclosure alongside the master Toilet, is visible from the Garden Steps and Upper Bedroom;

6. The Breakfast Buffets (Chinese and Western) were adequately varied and quite sumptuous. The pastry was truly fantastic, and as good as any you can get in quality pastry shops in Europe. But the A La Carte items for luncheons and dinners fell short of our expectations. The culinery standard for Thai, Chinese and Western Food in the 2 Restaurants there ranged from poor to okay, over our 4 tries;

7. The service from every staff (Concierge, Front Desk, Reception, Buggy Drivers, Poolside Lounge, Souvenir Shop, Bar, House Keeping, Room Service etc) was excellent. They were all likeable, charming, appealing to talk to, and looked happy doing their job. On average, they all have 2 days off every week, and live in Dorms in the Resort. BTS treats them well apparently. The most admirable thing for me was that none ever gave me any impression of rendering such good services wih an eye to tipping.

8. Security should not realistically be a problem. There are 2 Presidential Suites (one with 28 bedrooms and the other 22), probably designed with the top Chinese leadership and their entourage in mind. One evening, while cyling on the resort grounds, I saw about a dozen uniformed soldiers of the Peoples Liberation Army being mustered for a march; certain paths were even out of bounds to me, guarded by uniformed guards/soldiers. No burglars with local knowledge ought to dare to breakin, I would have thought.

9. But there were no organized activities or watersport programs/facilities, unlike some other 5-star resorts. So there was nothing to do outside the villas other than cycling (only 4-5 bicycles, free for 2 hrs), tennis, swimming (in the large outdoor pool); and poolside sunbathing, lounging and dining.

10. There is however, a deck-chaired private beach with a very good size, and a bar/eatery conveniently located between beach and pool. This private and secluded setting is far more enjoyable, in my view, than Yalong Beach (Sanya's most famous public beach) along which many international hotels are located (Ritz Carlton, Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Sheraton etc). Some segments of Yalong, such as those occupied by the Water Spot Centre (just in front of Holiday Inn), can be crowded, noisy and smelly with barbecue smoke and vapourized grease.

11. So, my verdict is that in a place as uninteresting looking as Sanya is, no resorts can beat Banyan Tree Sanya for comfort, tranquility, seclusion, privacy, and romance.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MAUNICHRISTIA
Reviewed January 6, 2009

First, some context to inform the review: my girlfriend (Sydney native) and I (New York native) live in Hong Kong and travel extensively in Asia for business for our respective investment firms. We also have had the pleasure of traveling several times per year in Asia for leisure. I speak Mandarin (proficiently, but not natively), while my girlfriend does not speak any Mandarin at all.

Let me start with some positives: First, the villas (we stayed in a deluxe pool villa) are very spacious and clean. The Banyan Tree Sanya appears to have resolved some of the more glaring service problems that colored the experiences of some of the earlier reviews. The fitness center is modern and well equipped, and the restaurants are quite good.

I will echo a previous reviewer by saying that the most salient benefit -- or detriment, depending on your point of view -- is the extreme tranquility (see review there; we stayed at the Ritz Carlton during the same trip to Sanya). The only time we ever even saw more than two other guests was during the check in and check out processes (the other time was during the buffet breakfast). I suppose that this should be expected, given that you are paying a premium for the privacy and all-inclusiveness, so to speak, of a private villa. If you are looking for anything other than the private villa experience at this price point, I would strongly suggest the Ritz Carlton.

The staff is very accommodating, although the quality of training and the English proficiency of the average staff member is noticeably lower than that at the Ritz Carlton, which is at a similar price point. The minor service issues that we encountered included: (i) we asked for certain dishes that we ordered for the in-room hot pot meal (a nice experience, by the way) to be prepared without mushrooms; this was not done) and (ii) when we wished to have a drink after dinner at the bar, the bar had closed early (the bar counter was literally covered) and the (very accommodating) waitress at the restaurant could not find the bartender. I suspect that these cut service corners is a function of how quiet the common areas of the Banyan Tree get.

The non-villa restaurant offerings are a bit limited at the Banyan Tree. There is a Chinese and a Thai restaurant, but the dearth of other diners at both of those restaurants makes for a somewhat self-conscious ambience. Unfortunately, the nearby towns leave a lot to be desired in terms of alternate dining options and the Yalong Bay resorts are thirty minutes away by taxi, so longer term visitors to the Banyan Tree are forewarned.

Note also that the location is somewhat remote, and taxicabs need to be called 15-20 minutes in advance. Additionally, the beach is not quite as compelling as that at Yalong Bay.

Some other general points/warnings to note: on each of the four trips that I have made to Sanya, I have made it a point to go into the nearby towns and try the local restaurants. The towns have an odd 1980s Russian feel to them and do not offer much of interest for the weekend visitor to Sanya. As in other cities in Hainan Province (and elsewhere in China for that matter), the streets leading into and out of these towns are lined with karaoke (KTV) bars, nightclubs and other neon-lit institutions of questionable repute. The local seafood restaurants are passable, but you will find better "local" Chinese food elsewhere in China; additionally, the local restaurants that I have visited have a tendency to overcharge to the point where you are probably better off financially eating in the resorts.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bk400
Reviewed January 6, 2009

This was the first time we went to a Banyan tree resort but below our expectation overall.we went there when the hotel was still undergoing its soft opening. the hotel was evidently under-staffed. the beach was not ready to be used. the pool was dirty with lots of dead bugs in it and needed constant cleaning. This was a big disappointment because there was nothing to do in the resort other than to enjoy the pool. staff including technicians were not properly trained to open the doors to the bath and the pool; we watsed almost an hour trying to figure out with the staff including their technicians on how to open the doors. selection of food on the menu and breakfast buffet was poor.

the bathroom is spacious and nice but the outdoor bathtub was filled with dust.

the living area is separate from the bedroom and is a big drawback as there is no toilet there whilst kids are supposed to sleep there by themselves at night as there is no space in the bedroom for them. also, because it is separate from the bedroom, it was hardly used and smelled

compared to the price we paid, this resort is definitely overpriced

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank hotelgoer168
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Hello all. I am a Canadian expat working in China. I travel often and I recently chose the Sanya Banyan Tree, on Hainan Island in southern China, as my holiday destination for my family and I. I have a wife and two children aged 8 and 10.

The conditions this year for booking my holiday vacation where last minute and the destination changed several times. I came close to re-booking in Bali but opted for something closer as my kids suffered last year from the full day of flying it took to get there. So I choose the Sanya Banyan Tree.

First I must say that I am a fan of Banyan Tree. I love their resorts and I enjoy their spa treatments. I recently visited the Banyan Tree in Lijiang, China a few months back and had a wonderful time.

Secondly I must say that I really dislike Hainan Island, and in general China, as a holiday destination for anyone with children. Sanya has no tourist attractions, no water park, an average beach, no great restaurants and the general atmosphere of the place is horrid at best. I live in China and I can't stress this enough, there is little to do with kids in this country. Be very aware of that fact.

Now, that I've told you that I enjoy the Banyan Tree resorts and I hate Sanya let me tell you a little about my experience. The Banyan Tree is Sanya is a shadow of itself and it doesn't match the quality that Banyan Tree is known for. The food choices are minimal, the buffet breakfast is poor and the staff is inexperienced but accommodating. While the hotel has some short comings it was more than bearable. We had a 2 bedroom family suite and it had a private pool.

The thing that I couldn't handle was that there was nothing to do, and I really mean nothing. The resort has nothing to keep the kids busy, no program and the tourist office useless. Most Banyan Tree's have extensive private tours that are available from the resort and they are often wonderful experiences (as in Lijiang), but in Sanya they don't even have that. So there was nothing in the hotel or in and around Sanya - mild nightmare. My kids are active and having them bounce off the walls in our villa all day was menacing. Sure there is a pool, and a beach but no activities, no other kids. Now sure, I deserve some of the blame for putting faith in Banya Tree - but I didn't expect it to be so bleak.

My kids enjoyed the pool and the beach (poor waves) but after a day or two of that they needed something more stimulating, and there just weren't any options. Banyan Tree is for couples not families and best if taken only in small doses.

If anyone reading this has found a great solution for keeping expat kids in Asia busy over the xmas holidays I would love to hear from you. Clearly I'm struggling.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank Ryan P
Reviewed December 15, 2008

The private villa where I stayed last fall was the most wondrous place I have ever stayed. We stayed in a private villa that include two buildings, a private pool looking out onto a lagoon, private jacuzzi, and a lotus pond. The spa/masseusse staff were the best I have encountered.

All around, Banyan Tree Sanya is an incredible place. At the same time, there is still something missing here. Inside the villa, it is a wonderland, but the beach is not yet ready for tourism. The bar at the hotel is dead, and the drinks are good but not great. Banyan Tree excels at peace and tranquility, but do not come here expecting any sort of nightlife.

I would return here again for a quiet weekend of seclusion and tranquility. For what one gets here, the price is a steal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple