“a nice hideaway resort for a pool villa” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banyan Tree Sanya

Banyan Tree Sanya
Ranked #14 of 1,326 Hotels in Sanya
Bangkok, Thailand
“a nice hideaway resort for a pool villa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Thought about trying this resort because of its Thai name, but somehow the weather in Sanya seemed to be quite unstable in the summer time. So I made it in October. The first thing I had to say Hainanese people are pretty friendly in general, as compared to other cities in China.
The pool villa is pretty nice and I paid for a deluxe pool villa but I somehow prefer their standard pool villa as the living room is in a more open area that I like more sunshine in the villa.
All the staff in this resort are very friendly and helpful by giving tips about the restaurants and places to visit.
The restaurant's breakfast is not bad, but the a-la-carte menu for lunch and dinner time is somewhat quite pricey. Paid RMB148 for a stir fried noodle. It's a very small portion and at least the presentation should be better and the food isn't too good. I don't mind eating at the resort if the quality and portion are justified. So this is a minor for this resort.
As for the pool villa, everything is nice except the pool design doesn't let the upper level of water go and so quite dirty on the water surface. Hope the management can fix this. Other than this, it's perfect.
The beach seems to be not good for swimming. Quite a waste but not the problem of the resort as I notice there are quite many constructions nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kitty C, General Manager at Banyan Tree Sanya, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor readers. I am very pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff. Your comments will be shared with our team for their motivation and improvement. And the same time, I regret that our F&B offerings did not meet up to your expectations. Please accept my apologies. I believe you will see the improvement on your next visit; your feedback is very valuable to us as it helps us improve the quality of our offerings to better meet your needs. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon in Banyan Tree Sanya.
Tolga Unan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went here for a birthday party! The service is really good! Although we requested deliver things several times, staffs are very nice and try to meet our needs, we can feel their sincerely service and care! Especially F&B staffs who provide us glasses, plates and so on. Housekeeper is really friendly the name is Whilsy, sorry ,I forgot how to spell. Certainly, thanks FD and Concierge staffs, they gave us warm welcom while we stepped into your resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kitty C, General Manager at Banyan Tree Sanya, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip advisor readers.
I am very pleased to read that you appreciated the efficiency and the friendliness of our team. Indeed, with only 49 private pool villas sculpted in our tropical garden nested by our private beach, our aim is to make each guests feel special and appreciated throughout their journey with us.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Sanya.
With my best wishes,
Shanghai Region, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel is a nice place to stay in Sanya, the circular pool is great for kids - our 6-y old spent his days in the water. Beach is average but who needs it with such a pool! Food was good and prepared by the excellent Italian chef. The hotel has just a few villas so it never feels busy in any of the facilities. Villa was nicely decorated and had a private garden and pool. Garden is large and manicured. Best experience was a pique-nique breakfast on the beach organized by the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank stef-paris-shanghai
Kitty C, General Manager at Banyan Tree Sanya, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Trip advisor readers. In Banyan Tree Sanya, we strive to make each guest feel well cared for and appreciated. Our aim is to create an experience tailor made to each guest’s likings. I am glad to know that at this occasion you have enjoyed our unique picnic breakfast. Your comments will be shared with the rest of our team for their motivation. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Sunny Sanya.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

At this weekend, I’ve revised my photos from China and suddenly realized, that forgot to make my tourist’s duty - share hotel experience with other travellers 

Banyan Tree Sanya was our final destination at China trip in May. During this travel, I've visited Beijing (Mariott), Hong-Kong (Ritz-Carlton) and Shanghai (Waldorf Astoria) as well. All these cities (and hotels) were gorgeous and need to be described additionally.

Before arriving to Hainan, I made a huge work and checked almost every hotel at this island. After staying here, I can ensure you, that Banyan was the right decision.

Hotel has huge, picturesque and green territory, long river-pool and can supply comfortable villa for every guest.

Villas are also huge and all of them equipped by private pools, I'm pretty sure that you are well informed about that already )

Hotel has a lot of pluses and some minuses at the same time. I'll mention them below, but to sum up, I may ensure you, that Banyan at Sanya currently is the absolute leader in category Luxury / Price.

For the same prices which St.Regis or Ritz had for regular rooms, Banyan Tree will provide you private villa with the huge private pool and your own garden (270 meters for the smallest villa). That’s the ideal choice to stay in Sanya, so feel free to make reservation right now )

Let’s talk about strong and weak point, which I’ve found during my stay.

Plus:
- Gorgeous private villa, own pool and garden, huge sunbed and two lounge beds with umbrella right near the pool. Terrace with a river view. All these features are yours )
- Large and picturesque hotel’s territory, long river-pool
- Hotel is very quiet, but allows children stay at the same time
- Friendly staff, whom is always trying to help
Minus:

- Sea is very bad, if you would like to swim a lot, Hainan already is a pretty bad place, but Banyan will be the worst variant ) Beach is pretty good, hotel has own luxury cabanas, but swimming here is a nightmare. For some reasons, sand in the sea will be very uncomfortable for you, that’s hard to explain, so just trust me and all speakers, whom told the same things below.
- Furniture at the hotel comfortable, but very old. A lot of places have to be renovated.
- Highly overpriced food. Diner, Lunch, pool bar, everywhere. Guys, I’ve stayed at Ritz in Hong Hong and it was really cheaper!
Dear Hotel team, think about it. 35$ for sandwich and coke in China.. wow.
Okay, if you decided to sell such pricy food, no problem. But for this price you have to provide excellent service, new and comfortable furniture at restaurants and make any visit for lunch or diner doesn’t matter, for any guest - unforgettable. For now, that’s not true.
- Location is pretty far away from the nearest shops and city advantages. Closest food shop near the Intercontinental hotel, 15-25 minutes walk. City center ~15-20 minutes by car.
So, my recommendations for the hotel team.

1) Continue you work with the staff. As far as I understand, you already made a huge job with them. Almost all employees are very friendly and trying to help, but at the same time, sometime it’s not enough.. For example, we arrived from the city at 9 P.M two or three times and nobody welcomed us at the hotel.. really nobody. That’s pretty strange for any high-end hotel.
Also, when we left the hotel, our manager was the one only person at reception desk and had to welcome another guest. He took the car and drove him to the villa. We were left to wait for the car at the entrance. Alone.
2) Let’s try to do smth with the old hotel furniture. You really need new ones.

All other things are perfect. You have all chances to be the best Banyan globally. That’s the first time, when I see such a huge villas and pools at your hotel chain. Hope that my wishes to you will come true.

All other travellers.. feel free to stay here. This place can exceed your expectations )
Have a good vacation!

Alexander
Villa 2305

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sayrus07
Dear guest:
Thank you for sharing your Banyan Tree experience with Trip advisor readers. It is feedback such as yours that enables us to adjust and better our services and facilities to meet the discerning needs of our guests. I am very pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff and enjoyed your visit in our hotel. Your comments and suggestions will be shared with our team for their motivation and improvement. Thank you also for recommending our resort. Indeed, with only 49 private pool villas sculpted in our tropical garden nested by our private beach, we are able to provide our guests with utmost privacy and a personalized service. Our aim is to make each guests feel special and appreciated throughout their journey with us. And the same time, I regret that our F&B offerings did not meet up to your expectations. Please accept my apologies. Rest assured, we are currently in the process of updating our new menus, I believe you will see the improvement on your next visit; your feedback is very valuable to us as it helps us improve the quality of our offerings to better meet your needs. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon in Banyan Tree Sanya.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

i needed to leave shanghai few days to rest and relax.
banyan tree was the best option and i really appreciated it.. private villa. i could work , read and relax from everywhere, from my villa or from the beach, everywhere wifi was fast.
chef Massimo provided me any kind of food, real italian taste! probably the only real italian food on the island.

staff took much care of all my needs, super friendly.

thanks and see you very soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MISTER C
Dear guest:
I’m happy to hear that you had a great vacation with us; indeed, we provide exclusive vacations for guests who are seeking privacy and yet want to be close to attractions in town. Even when the property is fully occupied, the layout and large size of our resort enables us to provide each of our guests with a personalized service away from big crowds and hassles of mass holiday resorts. Your review has been shared with the team and your compliments have been transmitted to Massimo. We thank you for choosing to stay with us; we would love to welcome you back to this sanctuary of senses.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had an amazing weekend, escaping from the heat of Shanghai we have found a very cozy atmosphere in our own private villa, the kids could play in the pool while I was working in the living room. With the newly arrived chef Massimo, we've been able to eat delicious italian food and experienced the in Villa barbecue that was superb.
Overall I think it is a must if you want to enjoy privacy in a luxury and natural environment.

Room Tip: We've been in Villa 2201 which is near the main pool, beach bar and beach, it is a good choice a...