“Not Ritz Standards”

Ranked #3 of 1,329 Hotels in Sanya
Hong Kong, China
“Not Ritz Standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

-Family weekend getaway with my wife and my daughter (aged 2). Traveled together with 2 other families with young kids (aged 1-3).

Thumbs Ups:
-Ocean View Suite was large, though decor is nothing special
-Choice of swimming pool and kid's pool is great
-Kids club is good for kids under 5,

-Despite requesting to have rooms together at the time of booking, my room was 2 floors above my friends, which made it very inconvenient. Staff claimed they couldn't find 3 room available on the same level at time of check in
-Check-in area was small, and check-in/check out was painfully slow
-Kid's cot finally arrived having had to follow up twice
-Room smelled of cigarette, despite being a Non-smoking room. Since no room was available, only thing they did was to offer to open balcony doors for us.
-Bathroom scale wasn't working
-Breakfast buffet; quality was overly sacrificed over quantity/variety

Overall:
-Quality of service is not up to the level of a normal 5 star hotel, nevermind Ritz.
-Most staff seemed untrained
-Nothing Special, not memorable, not at the price charge, only Ritz Carlton by name.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chengdu,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Sanya was a quite familliar place for me due to my frequently visit of every year. Even many people crisised its low value, but for people like me, who don't have long vacations (i.e 7-15 days+), Sanya is a choice.

Hilton is the choice always for me before Ritz and MO's opening, and every time in Hilon, is a good time. Anyway, when there is new player, I'd like to try. But, some place, once you tried, never be second time, what I mean is, the Rtiz, is just a place like that.

Before I make a decision between Ritz and MO, I chosed Ritz because of the trust of Ritz's high standard of service in other place I ever expirenced. but this time, I totally wrong.

Arrived at 3:00 pm, no one welcome you because they are busy, as to the special welcome drink they described on their web-site is just exsit in your imagination. the front desk is in a small room without any sinage, you can't find it till you ask. people crowed in the room and every body was eager to check-in or check-out, but one thing is the same, no matter you are IN or OUT, it could be slow, very very slow. After waiting for half an hour, its my turn to check in, and I was told that my room was not ready, they'd like me to wait. Okay, since its vacation, I have time. about 45 minutes later, i was escort to my room, and you will read a 'fantastic' story as below.

I booked a ocean view room, so, once the staff leaving and closed the door, I was eagerly to check my view as usal. For god sake, I can only see the bulding opposite instead of my ocean view. As angery as every body would do, I called the front desk to complain on this, 20 minutes later, a staff came. After took my complain, the most rediculours thing of my life happend: the staff walk to the balcony and said: sir, if you go to this point and stick out your head, you could see the sea. Alas, I think you can feel my angary. immeidaly, I told him when I was booking, their photos are not like this, and there is no any notice for this 'balcony ocean view', all my requirement is just a room as they said or I wll call 12315 (consumer complain hot line of national business administation in china) for their cheating, 5 minutes later, they agree to change room for me but still warned me ahead of time, 'all our ocean view room is like that, don't have high expectation, and the one we re-offered to you is the best among them', Okay, I only can blame my own judgement of hotel chosing after heared this. In fact, the new room is really have better sea view than first one, but don't be happy, you can just see a corner of the sea on the bed instead of a full screen as usual. anyway, i have to peace myself, but, the Ritz won't let you do that. A sick smell came from my toillite, I was awaered that the hose must have some problem according to my prior experience, so, i made the call to front desk again, and they say they will send a staff ASAP. and in Ritz, ASAP means half an hour not showing anybody(even I made 2 calls to front desk during it), I was rage again and can't help shout in the phone to front desk, at this point, they just awared they were really wrong, the shift manager came to my room directly and re-offered me a really ocean view roon at their executive floor, finally, at 6:15 pm, i can realse my package in my room.

But, the bas things are not finished yet. the next evening, I visisted their italian rest. and oredered a steak for half cooking, after 4 times of complain and 40 minutes (during that, even i made a call to my friends to tell my bad experience), the steak was in front of me but over coocked. Rage again, I told the shif supervisor it was over cooked, but the answer is, THIS IS OUR HALF COOK AS USAL, OMG, is this the Ritz i ever trusted? And, at this time, I shouted again, this the only useful weapon in this hotel, about 15 miutes later, the right steak finally came, the rest. manager said sorry and offering me a free meal for next dinner, but, you don't have the willing at all.

Generally, the rooms and facility of this hotel is quite new and fine. Room is big and well decorated, clean is clean, no differ. with other 5 star hotles in Yalong Bay. But the key is, there is NO service at all, when you sit beside the pool, no staff provide you towers and ice cold water automatically as other hotels did; when you eat or drink some thing beside the pool, the staff came quikly when you ordering, but no one took the bottle or plate away then you finished. in one word, robbery is the key.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MCJChengdu_
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

After our stay in HK, the Ritz was our next stop to unwind and unwind we did. Pina Colada’s out of fresh Coconuts by the pool with tunes by Bernie (who sounds like John Mayer – AMAZING) was just the thing to do it.

The Ritz is meticulously maintained inside the rooms and the grounds around the resort. The staff members are very helpful and it was an absolute treat to stay there.

Only Hotel food available, which isn’t a bad thing given the 8 different restaurants allows you to try everything. The biggest breakfast I have ever seen..! It actually becomes confusing on what to eat for breakfast.

The perfect place if you looking to unwind and relax for a few days.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

The rooms at the Ritz were way too expensive for my budget, but still managed to zip over for drinks and dinner by the beach at a place called 'Sand'. It was for my spouse's birthday so I went early to make sure that everything looked good. Visited their Italian restaurant to make dessert arrangements and once they learned of the occasion, it was comforting to be reassured that they would know what to do.

When we arrived for dinner we were very pleasantly surprised by a bouquet of roses waiting for us at the table. Very noticeable but not loud, so it was low-key and EXACTLY what I wanted - I had previously asked around the hotels in the area trying to arrange last-minute flowers to no avail, so this surprise really hit the spot! Little touches like this make all the difference.

Was slightly irked by the waitress' reconfirmation of the dessert arrangements in front of my spouse as it was supposed to be a surprise, but otherwise the food and service were very good, and so was the two-man Filipino band who were VERY good in English, Mandarin, and the occasional Tagalog classic!

Will certainly come back when chance allows.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

This hotel is simply beautiful, definitly a 5 stars for installation, pool, beach, food...
But really not appropriate for singles.... you will be very disapointed! and not the best for couples either...
There were kids everywhere... the hotel was fully booked and we were the only couple without kids...
The rooms are amazing, beautiful, clean and fully equiped...
We switched for a lagoon room (access to private pool from your deck) it was extraordinary...
The restaurants are very classy and foods amazing... italian restaurant is really great... breakfast is dreammy!... But you are at the ritz carlton so expect to pay minimum 50$ per person for meal... and 12 $ for drinks... and a maximum price on all possible things...
Service is a bit slow sometimes and little above what a five stars usually provides. If compared with others Ritz Carlton around the world
Location of the Ritz is perfect, the last hotel on the beach so quiet, clean and beautiful...
We absolutly adored our week at the ritz carlton... we even stayed longer than expected.... its a paradise!..

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

The service lets this place down very badly. The welcome in the lobby was good and we were directed to checkin at the lobby area where there was a big queue. We had to tell the staff that actually we were on a Club level so can they take us there to check in instead - they did this with no problem but I had my reservation in my hand and they could have checked it over instead of me having to say actually we should be checking in at the Club Level. Check in at the club level was pleasant enough but we arrived at 3pm and our room was not going to be ready for an hour and a half. No clue why because this was the first day of the easter holidays so i cant believe the hotel was full of guests on the thursday night that were checking out on friday morning. We had booked a non smoking room so we asked the check in girl to see if there were any smoking rooms available right away - there was so that speeded things up and stopped us from having to wait until 4.30 to checkin and start our holiday. Room is fantastic - very large, great view, big balcony, lovely big bathroom, super comfortable bed.
After unpacking we went back to the Club lounge for something to eat and a beer. The club lounge is fantastic in that essentially from breakfast right through to 10.30 there is always food on offer plus alcoholic (and soft) drinks. I have stayed in many club/exec levels of hotels in Asia and normally 'cocktail time' is limited to 1 or 2 hours in the evening. Obviously the club level rooms are more expensive but we were eating and drinking at least CNY1000 worth per day as we had breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner in there plus beers/wine/champagne so it was well worth the extra money.
The pools are good and the beach area is pretty nice with very clear water. We hired a couple of segways (highly recommended but quite expensive) and had a great time bombing up and down the beach. Not much else to do but we went there specifically to do not alot. In the evening we went to the Sand bar where we loved listening to the band. If you go then you have to get them to sing Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) - Bernie is so funny.
The negative things are basically the service is just not up to standard. I have never stayed in any Ritz Carltons before but I have stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels including the Mandarin Oriental in Sanya. I had the impression that Ritz Carltons service standards would be second to none but this is where I was left sadly disappointed. The staff are all lovely and always smiling but thats pretty much all you can get out of them. For example, we swam up to the pool bar and asked for 2 tsing taos (chinese beer) and the staff had not got a clue what we were asking for. i mean, come on. we said it lots of different ways and then just ended up pointing. its chinese beer for goodness sake - with a chinese name. Another example of poor service levels is that we must have used the pool bar at least 3 times a day for all 4 days we were there and it was pretty much the same staff there each time but there was so recognition or remembering us from yesterday (or even an hour ago). We would have to go through the same beer ordering palava each time plus we had to ask for an ash tray every single time even though it was blatantly obvious that we were smoking. No initiative or thinking ahead was shown by any of the staff.
Another example of poor service is that when you are lounging around the pool, there is no water offered. You have to be lucky and catch someone walking past, get them to understand that you want water, pray that they remember and then be satisfied with warm water when it finally gets brought to you. I know this sounds a bit pathetic of me to complain about but its not what you expect in a 5 star resort. Other places (such as the Mandarin in Sanya) automatically bring you water, cold face cloth when you arrive at the pool and then bring you things throughout the rest of the day without you having to ask.
The service was pretty poor in the Club lounge too. In many club lounges all the drinks are laid out for you to help yourself but in the Ritz you need to ask for refills.....constantly. No initiative is taken to note that you have an empty glass and ask if you would like another one. The only time the staff come near you is to clear empty plates away so if you arent eating then good luck with getting another drink. I went for breakfast on 2 out of the 4 days and had to ask 3 times both mornings for coffee. The staff seat you, take your drink order then notice plates that need clearing and completely forget your coffee. I am not sure why they have been trained to think that clearing plates away is more important than looking after guests.
Anyway, if I ever went back to Sanya then I would probably stay at the Mandarin - the Mandarins club lounge is pretty rubbish but their service is much better and their pools and grounds are much nicer too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Muiriel77
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

Great hotel. Expensive food at hotel nearby. Not conv to town.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with family