“Ritz at its best”

The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay
Ranked #3 of 1,356 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed July 31, 2014

What we liked :

- The beach front rooms were fantastic. To the highest level of quality and very well maintained.

- The beachfront bbq. A bit expensive but well worth the hassle

- The beach was great and very clean

What we didn't like :

- This place is great for families but the place dies down after 9pm or so.

- A little too many people for our liking, but i guess it is China. There are tons of people everywhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,997)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Since Sanya is a popular destinations for meetings, this was my fifth time to this island in 2 years. The Ritz Carlton Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in China, period.
First the positives: (1) Beach: it is sandy and one of the better locations along Yalong Bay for swimming (2) Food: there are quite a few restaurant at the resort with my favorite being SAND SEAFOOD AND BBQ along the beach, choice of breakfast offerings at FRESH 8 was over-the-top and a great start for each day (3) Rooms: my room with was spacious and lived up to Ritz Carlton standards, it also had a true ocean view.
Now the negatives: (1) Cost: get ready to open the wallet, being a Ritz Carlton this place is not for the spend thrift (2) Nightlife: the resort is geared for families and couples, the property becomes very quiet at night with few cocktail options after 8 pm.
Overall, I really enjoyed my five night stay at the Ritz Carlton. I would definitely choose this property when coming back to Sanya for personal trips.

Room Tip: The property is huge. If you do not wish to walk 15 minutes to your room every night ask for a room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our second time at the hotel. Staff is great, quality and the rooms and grounds are also great. The only question on whether to come back again or not are the service prices. 10usd for one scoop of ice cream at the lobby bar, are you kidding me?? Over 250usd for a very simple dinner for two at the beach front restaurant?? Two massages at 400usd? I would highly suggest they get a bit more realistic about their prices so guests do not feel taken advantage of.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank norbertghz
The Ritz-Carlto... S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Guest Norbertghz,

Thank you for taking your time to share your valuable feedback about your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Sanya.

I highly appreciate your positive comments about our ladies and gentlemen, service quality and condition of rooms as well as our grounds.

With regard to the pricing in our outlets and spa, in general our prices are aligned and competitive with other luxury hotels in Sanya. In order to give our guest the best possible dining experience we use a lot of high quality imported ingredients that have a higher cost attached.
However you are absolutely right that US$ 10 is too much for a scoop ice cream and I have asked my senior leadership team to look into this.

If you could afford the time I would be pleased to discuss this further with you. I may be reached directly at +86 898 8858 6869.

I look forward hearing from you.

Michel Goget, General Manager

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just back Hong Kong from Sanya Ritz Carlton.
We had a fantastic stay, Resort just beautiful, gardening, pools, beach, food & beverage outlet are six stars.
Started with warm welcome at the front, helpful staffs at reception, porter bring bags to our room, can see all are well train, big thanks to the managements.
We stayed in a normal deluxe room, surprised us was room is big, bathroom also large size, shower room is the biggest we been. Everyday after breakfast, we just relax & enjoy beside the pool.
Our first day afternoon at Scene, very relaxing, beach & sea view, food is good, burger good standard, dinner at Fresh 8, hot pot on Fri night, seafoods very fresh, beef can be improve.
Second night, dinner at Sofia Italian Restaurant, highly recommend Pumpkin Soup, & Pizza ,
other food items also very good, seafood soup can be hotter.
Our last night dinner at Pearl Chinese, Very good & delicious.
Tips- taxi fare from airport to hotel (RMB 100-120) must try Sofia, follow by Pearl. Buffet Breakfast stunning.
Sure we will go back to this heaven again in near future to try out Sands Restaurant & The Spa.

Room Tip: Stay Ocean view room or pool access room. Block 1 is a bit too far from main building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Fred N
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Ritz Carlton Sanya in December. I would like to say, without hesitation, that this hotel is among the elite hotels which set the standards for deluxe world class service. We travel extensively for both business and pleasure and frequently reside at those hotels known as the 6 stars of service.

The Ritz Carlton Sanya is exceptional. The staff is not only service oriented, but do everything possible to anticipate and meet the needs of every guest. And, they do so with a "can do" spirit combined with a warmth and friendliness not apparent in many places. Everything we experienced during our stay was outstanding including the restaurants and ESPA spa. We thank everyone there for making our holiday and our Christmas so far from home very special.

3  Thank traveleseeker
The Ritz-Carlto... S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Sanya, Yalong Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of our property with the Trip Advisory community. I am thrilled you enjoyed the amenities and services. We strive to be your “home away from home” when traveling and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This not just a Ritz Carlton Hotel, but a Beautiful Resort!!!!! Rooms and baths are huge and luxurious!!! But what stands out above all this is the service!!!! I hurt my foot during our stay and they took exceptional care of me!!! They drove us to hospital, stayed in the room as interpreters even while getting stiches, Came to our room every morning to change the dressing and best of all? Chauffeured me to the beach in one of their gators so I could still enjoy the beautiful sea! I was truly sad when we had to leave. Thank you Wit, May and all the rest whose names I have shamefully forgotten! You all made sure we could still enjoy our trip and I am forever grateful!!!!!! Mishelle and Sue

Room Tip: Club Level!!!!!!
1  Thank MishelleSerendipity
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Absolutely beautiful property, with spacious rooms. Was there for business meeting. Had been told Sanya is Asia's Hawaii. I have to say that the beaches and water do not compare in any way to Hawaii but if you find yourself in Sanya, this is the place to stay. No place to buy drinks/snacks other than the crazy expensive mini bar so bring some along if at all possible. Very good breakfast (western and Asian choices, with wonderful fresh fruit). Room service and restaurants fine, but not amazing (says this picky vegetarian). Decided to try the Chinese massage in the beautiful spa (when in China, right?). Well, there is a reason Chinese massages haven't taken the world by storm. I knew you wore loose clothes. I didn't expect the technique to be quite so grabby, choppy and unpredictable. So go to the spa but stick with aromatherapy or maybe Thai. The gym is well equipped but with no view, so I chose long walks on beach instead.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business