“Don't do it”

Ranked #50 of 618 Hotels in Haikou
Melbourne
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

On arrival we were efficiently transfered to our room although the reception staff had limited English. The room smelt smusty and had cables hanging out of an airconditioner to a power point some 4 metres away. We asked for a transfer to another room and although we thought they understood we waited for some time before asking again. This time someone came to the room and we made them understand what the problem was. They said we could transfer to another room however they would have to make to room up. We waited for about 45 minutes before ringing again and they said they would ring us when it was ready. Instead we had someone come to the room and show us our new room. In retrospect all of this seemed strange as the hotel was almost empty. The new room was okay as it did not smell and had a queen size bed. As it turned out, the bed was rock hard which did not help with the back problems my wife had.
On investigation of the hotel it looked fairly run down, the two apartment blocks next door to the main hotel were derelict and some parts of the hotel had tiles that had come off the roof. The pools looked okay from a distance however on close inspection there was a considerable amount of mould around the edges and grime on the glassed areas.
It didn't help that it was blowing a gale the whole time we were there. So we looked for other options, there was a pool table in the Lobby Bar, which we decided to use. As we begain to play we were informed it would cost 40 yuan to play a game. What the hay we played anyway.
One day we decided to go for a walk along the beach which is right in front of the hotel. Even though it is clean directly in front of the hotel, as soon as you get past the hotel there is rubbish for as far as you can see. The rubbish was diverse from a dead dog to a manikin's leg to bottles and casts from a shoe stamping process. When we arrived back at the hotel we found that, although we didn't notice it we had a layer of thick black oil encrusted into our shoes. It took well over an hour to remove the oil with sticks and the tooth brushes the hotel supplied.
The food was very ordinary. Apart from the fact the hotel was vertually empty. Some restaurants were closed so the options were limited. One night just the noodle bar and the Chinese restaurants were open. I know it's China and they have some strange food however this is suppose to be an international resort. Pigs intestines, ears, blood. and all sorts of other strange stuff. I like to be adverturous when it comes to food but on these menus I played it safe.
We had booked for a week, as it turned out we bailed out after four days and caught the next available plane back to Hong Kong.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WineloverMelbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

This was my second visit to The Crown Spa Resort; my first visit was in November 2008. Both visits were most memorable.

For this late May visit I stayed for 14 days. The beachside resort is a short distance from from the city so you are away from distractions. You really have the opportunity to unwind and slow down your pace to a Hainan Island / Beach level of enjoyment. I am a Tax Accountant and this was perfect for me after a stressful Tax Season in the USA.

I am American and my Chinese language skills are limited. Most staff have basic English language knowledge and communication skills; many speak English very well. So, there was never a communication problem during my stay. The staff reached out to me to assure that my visit was memorable and pleasant.

The Resort is elegant and its architecture is based upon a French Baroque Revival style. The architects gave great attention to many details in the construction of this resort, and you will find yourself enjoying the beauty of the stonework in the walkways, and the details of all the buildings. Many of the interior spaces are of marble or of fine wood.

Our room was spacious, and lovely. We enjoyed a wonderful view of the South China Sea and the pool area. The view was so nice that I photographed it many times! The room amenities were first class.

The resort has a great Gym in the Spa Building. We worked out here a number of times and found the equipment up-to-date and inclusive. Like all aspects of this resort everything was well maintained.

The resort has a number of restaurants, and each focuses on a different cuisine. I especially enjoyed the seaside, outdoor restaurant. The oysters grilled in their half-shell on the open barbeque are "heaven", here. This is a definite must-eat food! The chefs in the Noodle Bar were outstanding in their skills of working with dough and knives in making the noodles from scratch for each person.

In the evening the resort has live entertainment with a duo who sing a repertoire of International Music. They remind me of the entertainment at the Bali Hyatt in Indonesia and are uniquely warm and enjoyable.

While staying here I visited the nearby city of Haikou on a few occasions. The resort has a courtesy shuttle service to the city center. The staff at the resort introduced me to the Tailor District in a great alley in an old Portuguese section of the city. Here I had custom silk gaments made. I got two robes; 4 shirts and some wonderful pajamas made for me. The tailor I used helped me select some great silk fabrics in this same district that look good in the USA and also have some Chinese character about them. The cost was very, very reasonable.

The resort is noted for its First Class Spa. I did not avail myself of these services, but enjoyed the beach and pools every day. The pool area is surrounded by lovely palms. When I envision heaven, I am at the Crown Spa Resort poolside with oysters on the grille nearby! Don't miss this wonderful hotel and resort.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Endurant
Gold Coast Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

stayed ten days , hotel was having renovations, painting outside of the hotel .but did not affect us , good bus service to town ,a 25 minute trip one way , no shops or restaurant `s to walk to,a long way from any thing this was only thing against this hotel . staff ,were very friendly ,beach and pool were nice, hot pool was great was in centre or normal pool so could go from one to the other . the BBQ is really good , Robin in management spoke good english and was a great help to us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Parso
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

Very great hotel located just at the beach, very conventient for families. Value for money. Rooms are excellent, clean and nice. The service is perfect. B/F is good as well. Not comments for any bad experience.

It has a spa and a big outdoor swimming pool for kids. Not far away from city, I will consider to stay here again in my futrue visit.

• Liked — Near beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Payoh
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

We arrived at the Crowne Hainan having driven miles away from civilisation. The entrance was nice as you drive in and the staff are reasonably helpful, though their level of English comprehension was very limited.

The interior of the resort looks like it came from the 1980's while the exterior of the main building appears unmaintained for the past 20 years, with yellow stains all over. The two large apartment blocks aside the hotel appeared to be derelict and in decay. The rooms themselves were reasonably large and clean and gave no problems. Unfortunately there were events in the main courtyard which were incredibly noisy.

The problems began when checking the prices for any services. Apart from the gym which was free, if you wanted to do play tennis, go to the spa, etc., the prices were astronomical given the 2 Star environment that the hotel clearly portrayed. In the main lobby, there is a upmarket-style store that sells 'Aqounsenton' branded clothing/handbags/shoes at full London Aquascutum prices.

In summary, since we arrived in the early evening we stayed overnight and the next morning checked into the Sheraton Haikou for the rest of the trip. The prices for services were similar, but the environment and location was many classes above the Crowne, and thus well worth the additional price.

Good points: Large rooms, well specified gym, decent beach, helpful staff.
Bad points: Many miles from anything, ugly everywhere except for the beach, extras are expensive, derelict surrounding buildings, poor lighting, generally poor management.

• Liked — Good size room, clean, reasonable gym.
  • Disliked — Derelict surrounding buildings, the constant feeling of being ripped off.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FrequentTraveller039
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

Crown Spa Review
My husband and I traded our Tahoe Time Share for a week at the Crown Spa. Not being Spa-people, we didn’t even visit the spa. So I can’t speak to that. We focused on the resort. The resort was incredible and one of the best experiences we have had traveling. We are American and consequently don’t speak Chinese. Most guests are Chinese or foreigners living in China as near as I can tell. The resort staff was fabulous and if you needed to speak to someone about something in English, they simply went and found you an English speaking employee. The biggest problem we had was in getting from the airport to the resort. Taxi drivers want to double-triple charge you. You need to know (and show them the address in Chinese) and know that it should only cost 80 RMB or less. And you need to tell them that you want them to use the meter (there are signs at the airport telling you this).
The Resort: The pool area is spectacular and although we were there in the fall (which is technically typhoon season), we had great weather and could swim 5 of 7 days and play tennis most days and rent bikes to tour the surrounding area (bike rental was 30 RMB per hour which is extremely reasonable). We wanted to play tennis one day after a rain and the security guard and an employee from the front office helped us dry the courts with mops and towels. They were so accommodating. The pool area at this time of year is in “dormant” mode. The pool bar was closed (but was really nice and I can imagine what it looks like in July/August). There is always someone in the pool area with fresh towels and the “nature pool” which is translated to Hot Tub, was always clean, empty and ready for us! The rooms were stellar – really wonderful. Cleaned every day, beds turned down at night with fresh flowers on the pulled down part. We felt very pampered. We had a lovely sea view room (and yes, during Typhoon season, the sea is brown, not blue – storms do that).
The restaurants at the resort are wonderful – there is a western restaurant called the “Coffee Corner” that serves western food – we didn’t try it. We did eat at the Chinese restaurant and had a buffet one night that is basically southern Chinese food and very good (if you like it…lots of fish and fish parts) and a sort of Brazilian BBQ where they chop meat off of bar-b-qued meats onto your plate. We were very, very fond of the Noodle bar and had lunch there every day. One went in, ordered from a “noodle” menu and the noodle chef made your noodles in front of you and served you. It was fabulous. We got quite attached to the noodle chef! I even learned to order my favorite in Chinese (Sichuan dan dan mian—spicy pork over noodles). It was WONDERFUL and I wish I could make it. The resort offers a bus to Haikou (the nearest town) 6 times a day and we went to Haikou most days for dinner. It was very convenient. There is a bit of a pick-pocket problem in town though (we did have a bad experience or two with that), but other than that, we really enjoyed being in town for a part of each day. We found lots of restaurants – but funnily enough it wasn’t obvious at first that there were restaurants! Turns out – restaurants are almost always on the 2nd floor or a commercial section and one needs to locate the up-escalators to the restaurants. Restaurants in Haikou are fun to visit – westerners arriving at their door step put all hostesses in a fit of giggles and then there is a rash of competition between the waiters/waitresses on who has to serve them.
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and DID end up with what we wanted no matter how long it took to communicate (but that’s our fault). Fun things to note about the resort are that photographers bring brides and grooms in groups to have photo shoots. We probably witnessed about 30 beautiful brides having their wedding pictures taken – although no weddings were performed there. The grounds/gardens/beach area of this resort are incredible. We also saw a “fashion” photo shoot – all while we were relaxing at the pool. Renting bikes allows you to go to local villages which were also fun to visit and caused rashes of giggles from everyone under 18. For sure. We could not recommend this place more. It was one of the highlights of our lives. Really.
Steve and Cindy

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank pvfamily
hainan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

I have been working in Hainan from Sep 2006 - June 2008, and treated myself and my GF to two weekends away here.

Price wise, I would suggest NOT booking this hotel from your own country. One of my weekend trips here was during a Chinese National Holiday, yet we still only paid 666RMB, for an upgraded sea view room, two free spa treatments, two buffet breakfasts, and a BBQ all you can eat and drink. (cost is for one night - two people)

I also cant believe the spa is the biggest in China, let alone the world as claimed. The indoor spa itself only has a few pools, and none with coconut milk and so on as you may find in other resorts in Hainan.

The hotel itself is nice enough, and the food was good. A close inspection of the hotel and you will notice peeling paints etc.

Also, each time I have been here...the KTV rooms, bar, and swim up bar was closed, and the pool looks like it should be cleaned a little more often.

Its location is fairly remote...if you come here for a week, there really isnt anything to walk to from here...no shops, no other entertainment...but they do run a courtesy bus to Haikou.

For me, a resident for some time on the Island...its a nice place to visit for a night or two...but any discerning travellers fro EU or USA would be very upset to have paid a lot of money and travelled here I think...there just isnt enough to do, and its very average compared to the beauty of the Med for example.

And the spa massage treatments are wildly over-priced I think...A decent foot massage for an hour in Haikou would be around 30RMB...its 300 at the hotel!

If you live/work in Hainan...yeah go there...but dont travel 6000 miles to this place for your once in a lifetime holiday...

• Liked — For me, its locality as a Hainan resident, its price and the great breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Its just a little dull, and dont believe the fotos showing blue seas! Its all thanks to photoshop
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple