We went on a 5 day golfing holiday to Mission Hills, Haikou, expecting a great golfing experience but we were disappointed.
The hotel was adequate, but the check in would be difficult as the staff spoke little English. The main dialect was Mandarin.
The rooms are large and roomy with tea & coffee making facilities. There was an iron and ironing board. The bathroom was spacious with a large sink and the usual amenities including razor and toothbrush. There was also plenty Iof complementary water.
Free Wireless Internet was available through out the hotel.
Breakfast was good and there was a wide selection of food.
We ate mainly at the Chinese restaurant as it was well priced and the food was good.
Lunch at the Golf Club Cafe was expensive mainly because a pot of tea cost ¥73/- for a pot compared to ¥88/- for a plate of fried noodles!
We were very disappointed with the golfing experience. On the first day we played at the Blackstone course (for a Premium). The course was officially closed for maintenance, but we were required to play the course as we had pre-booked the game only 1 week previously. We could not change! The fairway was in poor condition with lots of bare patches.The greens were terrible, there was hardly any grass (only tuffs here and there) on the greens and were mainly sanded. Although we protested to the starters and pro-shop we were told - sorry no refunds.
Sorry, you pay, you play.
The next course, the Lava course was in a similar state of disrepair. Their excuse was that they had a recent tournament and was undergoing maintenance work. This is no excuse for selling games for play on a course under maintenance! This is not a member's golf club, it is a corporation bent on making money. So players beware. We had telephoned the management the week before to check on the state of the courses and they had the audacity to confirm that the course were in good state and playable.
The Sand Belt and Meadows course was in a better condition. The fairways were reasonable and the greens in a reasonable condition.
However, the tendency is to push through a lot of players. There is poor golfing etiquette and one has to display extreme restrain. There was slow play in front and the guys from behind kept hitting up on us! Complains to the marshal was fruitless as he did nothing.
I had previously played in these courses 2 years ago and had found them good and up to expectation. This time around, they are in a terrible state of disrepair. I believe that there has been a management change and the place has been let to run down.
Stay away. If you must, expect to be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amid the grandeur of the island’s tropical volcanic landscape, Mission Hills Resort ▪ Haikou features an 18-storey luxurious hotel and annex with breathtaking panoramic golf course views. The complex also houses numerous world-class sports, leisure, entertainment and dining facilities, an executive lounge, and a panoramic gallery, establishing itself as one of the most sought-after leisure destinations in China. Free parking on site and free Wi-Fi in public areas and rooms are both provided.Conveniently located in Haikou city, the administrative and legislative hub of Hainan, Mission Hills Resort ▪ Haikou is just 15 minutes from the city center and from the Haikou Meilan International Airport.Positioned as one of the finest luxury hotels on Hainan Island, Mission Hills Resort ▪ Haikou comprises 539 spacious guest rooms and suites. All these tastefully appointed rooms and suites celebrate Hainan’s environment with unique designs and amenities to ensure guests enjoy the highest level of comfort. Each guest room or suite features a balcony with an unobstructed view of the panoramic golf course and the resort’s natural greenery. Interactive HD TV system with cable, pay-per-view programs, and minibar are provided for your entertainment. Special inter-connecting rooms are also available - ideal for families and friends alike.Guests have access to the recreation center and spa center for leisure and relaxation. Facilities include an indoor swimming pool, an outdoor swimming pool with fun-filled obstacle water park, a man-made beach, a gym, a foot reflexology center, a Kids’ Club, games rooms, and much more. In addition, Mission Hills Resort ▪ Haikou features 168 hot and cold mineral spring pools, making it the “World’s Largest Mineral Springs Resort” accredited by Guinness World Records. The grand ballroom at the resort caters up to 1,600 delegates. The 13 spacious functions rooms and media center feature floor-to-ceiling windows with breathtaking views, creating an exceptional backdrop for any event.Mission Hills Resort ▪ Haikou offers a wide selection of international cuisines in the most refined ambiance. Silver Moon Chinese Restaurant features Cantonese specialties and local dishes from Hainan while Ukiyo offers a variety of Japanese cuisine. Come and enjoy a divine and exquisite dining experience that will impress the most discerning taste buds. What's more, the hugely popular Mission Hills ▪ Huayi Brothers ▪ Feng Xiaogang Movie Town which features 1942 Republican China Street, Socialism Street, Nanyang Street, memorable Movie Set and Landscape Districts; the Mission Hills ▪ Lan Kwai Fong where the "World's No. 1 Golf Club" joins the globally-renowned entertainment brand to create "LKF Entertainment Zone", "Fashion Avenue", "China Grove", Village Lane" and "Quarry Lake"; and the Duty Free Center, a true shopping paradise with endless opportunities for retail therapy - are due to open throughout 2014 within Mission Hills ▪ Haikou, to offer each and everyone of us an array of international brands, gourmet cuisine, fine dining, entertainment, shopping, cinemas, cafes, music stores, wine cellars, souvenir shops and boutique hotels all in one location (due to open throughout 2014). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Mission Hills Resort Haikou reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mission Hills Hotel Haikou
- Mission Hills Resort Haikou Hainan, China