“Overall good value but definitely not a "5 star" hotel by Western standards”

Harbour View Hotel And Resort
Ranked #213 of 549 Hotels in Zhuhai
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed 4 nights.

Good:
- Location
- Value
- Free breakfast
- Free wifi
- Free bottled waters in my room everyday
- CNN and a few other English channels

Bad:
- Hard bed
- Breakfast buffet completely stops replenishing food/drinks by 9:00 am (or earlier) even though breakfast is supposed to be served until 10:00am.

Ugly:
- Upon check-in, I noticed some dried green (nasal or throat) mucous on the toilet seat!

- Guests around me were smoking in their rooms with their doors open even though there are signs (and I'm sure they were told upon check-in) it's a NON-SMOKING floor! The hallway to the elevator always smelled like cigarette smoke. I went to complain to front desk but they were useless in doing anything about it. It appears they know mainlander guests don't abide by rules so basically, I got the "oh well" look from the 2 ladies at front desk.

Not the experience I was expecting at a "5 star" hotel but good enough to recommend this place IF you are ok with my warnings above.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Yipstress
There are newer reviews for Harbour View Hotel And Resort

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We booked this hotel with some reservations due to mixed reviews. We got a room for 470 rmb via elong and then got upgraded. We decide to try the evening buffet for 225 inc taxs and wow what a feast. What we liked was there was loads of choice but only small amounts laid out, so food was fresh and not dried out. The chef (German I think) keeps checking all the time and empty trays were quickly refilled. Yummy and beer/wine included. Best buffet we have had in the 6 weeks we have been here in china. Room was also fine except for the usual smell of smoke, but not too bad.
Hotel seems to be very popular.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AcbMei
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've stayed here many times over the last 5 or 6 years and realize the property is now showing its age. Location is right across the street from the bay front and a little beach. Kids might like that. Next door to good dim sum and seafood restaurant (Mayflower 五月花) and a large legitimate massage establishment.

The hotel used to have a fabulous spa on the 5th floor, but to my disappointment, it closed down. The bellmen were less interested in carrying my bags than in furnishing me with ladies of the evening. It got annoying. They have turned into a squad of moderately aggressive pimps.

Huge breakfast spread served in the main floor restaurant. Food was still superb, prepared and served under the watchful eye of the same European chef who has been there all along. I didn't have the outdoor poolside BBQ this time because they were catering a private function.

It's a long way from Gongbei, but it's a short taxi ride to the main part of Jida district. The hotel isn't served by many bus lines and the bellmen just prefer to call you a taxi than explain the routes. It's also an easy walk to the heart of Jida, but you have to know how to wind around the small streets behind the hotel and ask for help along the way if you get lost.

Service was adequate, but nothing special. I don't plan to stay here any more, even though it was once one of my Zhuhai favorites. Afraid it must go into my "faded glory" file.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Its really a great hotel to stay at affordable price and location is really great and everything you can access from here just by walking like cool breeze, nice food and fisher girl statue etc. Its really great place to be for kids also as located near park and can have a view of big plane Xhuhai.......

Room Tip: Facing sea will be good idea and you can have view of swimming pool as well......
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MukeshGupta
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It was a good stay for the most part. The rooms were nice and clean. I was not particularly satisfied with the bed. It felt like i was sleeping on a piece of plywood. Most of my time was spent offsite, so I can't comment too much on the food. The only food I got to sample was breakfast, and it was decent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a grand looking hotel from the initial view when you approach it. It has probably been a great place to stay in the past and could very well be again with some TLC. As for most places in the area the staff are very nice. Generally cannot do enough for you. The room I had was very adequate for one night but I certainly would not like to spend much longer in a room with only 3/4 beds. The bathroom was small and the shower was over a bath, a good way to save space but not so good when the shower curtain is only just long enough to touch the rim of the bath. Wet floors are not so good, especially on tiled floors.

There was a musty smell in the corridor from the lift to the rooms. Reminded me of an hotel I stayed in, in West Africa.

We were quite late arriving in the hotel and by the time we got to the dining room the Buffet was almost done, not much left for hungry travelers. What I did have was pretty good, their sea food selection and a cold beer certainly did the trick for me!

Breakfast which for me was at 06:30 was not so good. The breakfast chef did not pitch up whilst I was there and so I had to be satisfied with some no doubt sufficient to accompany my meal.

Room Tip: I will be staying there again, next time I hope to arrive earlier and to be able to sample the buffe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night . Just passing through. Room was large and clean . Restaraunt was a buffet but with a lot of choices. Very central and close to the ferry terminal . Would stay here again if passing this way on business again.

• Stayed: July 2013