“Great value hotel, large rooms, good amenities, terrible 'Irish' Bar”
Review of Holiday Inn Zhuhai

Holiday Inn Zhuhai
Ranked #9 of 549 Hotels in Zhuhai
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed for three nights at the Holiday Inn Zhuhai in September 2010.

Location

Because of the topography of Zhuhai (mountains and sea), the city is remarkably sprawling. The hotel is located away from the city centre (Macau customs area), which is a good thing - as this area is a chaotic and noisy.

The road network and taxi service in the city is excellent - even the the heaviest of rain, no more than a 20 minute taxi wait, usually no wait at all.

The hotel is about a 10 minute ride from the Macau border post, where the Coaches from Guanzhou and Shenzen airports drop you. From Zhuhai airport, the taxi ride is about 40 minutes, the gleaming airport being located the middle of nowhere. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Hong Kong sea-cat.

Welcome & Check-in

The hotel welcome is friendly and very efficient. The front desk and concierge are really friendly, and know what they are doing. They also speak some English, and remember your name, which is a novelty.

Rooms

The rooms in this hotel are huge. I was offered a paid-upgrade, which I didn't accept, and was very pleased with my basic room, which is the size of a studio apartment. The room had two large double beds, a desk, relaxing chair. It also had free cable internet.

The Beds were rock hard. I have a habit of launching myself onto a hotel bed after a long trip, and on this occasion nearly brusied myself. Chinese beds are harder than western, but this one was hard for Chinese standards. The Air Conditioning actually works here, which is a first for Chinese hotels.

Dining and Amenities

The cantonese restaurant was suprisingly good value for a hotel, offering good quality dishes (duck and ginger hotpot).

The Irish bar was only Irish in name, and was really lacking in atmosphere and style. Food in the Irish bar was from the room service and Pizza menu, and was really poor. I'm not a fan of Irish bars, and this one was a example of a badly run and supervised bar where someone is probably making money from the ladies of the night rather than providing food and beer.

The Lobby cafe is comfortable, has free wifi, and a good selection of cakes and teas.

Concierge is very helpful with maps, recommendations and directions.

I had time for a swim on the roof-top pool, which was perfectly clean, and whilst I was there a lifeguard stayed pool-side at all times. The changing areas were well appointed and spotless.

I didn't try the Business lounge or Business services.

Scoring - If you are looking for a western hotel brand, where service in English can be provided, this hotel ticks all the boxes. Nominally a five star hotel, its closer to a 4.5. With the exception of the Irish bar, it's well run.

Score 4 / 5.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank TheDiplomat
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Zhuhai

Reviewed September 29, 2010

The room is spacious with a warm tone - desk and chair in a separate area that make the room feel bigger. The hotel appears to be well-managed and well-organized overall. I check in late, my key is ready for me. I got a room in high floor as I requested in my reservation note. The staff opened the cab door for me, took my luggage and escort me to my room. The next morning when I open the floor to ceiling window, I have a pleasant surprise that I am able to see the ocean that is several blocks away. The breakfast buffet has a live egg station, seafood and steak, and sushi. I don't get big breakfast but it's always nice to have varieties. Zhuhai's most upscale shopping malls and restaurants are one block away and a harbourside park is another 3 minutes walk. Internet is fast and I can plug in and use without having to agree to any terms and agreement. I think previous review is right that this is probably the best business hotel you can get in this city.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank happyvaio
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We stayed in Holiday Inn in Zhuhai for 6 nights in July - August 2010.
The hotel was really nice in general and the service level was great.

There are few cons which we need to mention here. The hotel beds were extremely hard and our backs felt like we would have slept on the cement floor already after the first night. We kind of got used to the bed after staying here almost the whole week but still we find the bed really uncomfortable and not upto Western standards although Holiday Inn is informing travellers to be the only 'Western hotel' in Zhuhai.

The other con was the health center located on the 3rd floor. It is not run by Holiday Inn but this place is mention in the Holiday Inn manual and several other places inside the Hotel and the elevator goes directly there from rooms. Therefore we think that Holiday Inn has also resposibilty to check the quality of this place if they recommend their guests to go there. We decided to go this place for a manicure and a english speaking manager informed us that 30 minutes manicure would cause us 98 RMB/ person. We thought this was ok price although we got a 60 minutes pedicure in Shanghai in a luxury place next to East Nanjing road for a 75 RMB including upper back massage.
The manicure in this place was a joke !! The actual 'manicure' didn't last no more than 5 minutes and after this the masseuses proceeded with some kind of back massage and a quick cleaning of ears etc. We were really confused about this but though that they were included as we clearly informed the manager what we wanted. The whole treatment session lasted app. 30 minutes which was the same time that was agreed with the manager beforehand. When we got the bill all the short treatments were charged seperately and the total charge for was app. 400 RMB / person for 30 minutes !!!! We complaint to the manager and suddenly he didn't speak as fluent English as when we entered to the place and almost refused to understand what we were saying ??!! We end up paying 350 RMB/person and left this place really angry. We also complaint Holiday Inn assistant manager about this place but the answer was that it is a different company and Holiday Inn takes no responsibilty what they are doign there. We strongly recommend everyone to stay away from the 3rd floor !!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Nice stay---spacious rooms. A bit dated but very comfortable. The beds are hard but not exceedingly. Service was excellent and the buffet breakfast was amazing for a holiday inn. It was true buffet style with a huge selection. I got an excellent rate through the holiday inn website.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I have been regular to Piority Club hotel chain. Among the holiday Inn I stay this one is consider one of the best among the Holiday Inn in Asia. Due to I am platinum member and regular at Holiday Inn Zhuhai I was recognized and get free upgrade to suite room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed there for 10 days below are my comments

Good thing:
1) Hotel staff are very very helpfull & informative. Jason the bell boy was the best. Most of them speak english. They will give thir best tips for us to get aroung,buy,food this that & etc.
2) They can help you to get something ifrom outside 2am if you call front desk
3) My luggage bag were damage once I check out I ask the bell boy help to cover & stick it. He instead took iut to reoair it in 30 min.
4) Some staff have problem in english but theyw ill get an expert make sure we got what we want.
5) Very safe surrounding
6) they provide free shtutte to work
7) The rish bar was not bad. the singers are good & freindly

To imporove
1) Need to get a good map on zhuhai & with english word. The map there are very bad.
2) Some staff nottalyby on F & B need to be polish on service
3) Breakfast buffet need to have more asian variesty fron india, malaysia as there are ,many came from there.
4) MSGare very expensiive
5) Beers are expensive although it duty free

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Nice hotel and great service. The room i stayed is a standard but feel like the size of a suite. The shower has really good water pressure which is unnormal in China. A little too luxurious and wasteful.

Staffs are all helpful and buffet breakfast fits my appetite. The only drawback is they only have a outside pool which I didn't dare to try during a thunderstorm season. I would like to visit again in summer and get full service experience in that fitness center.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business