“Charming? Not sure if I'd call it that, but it's nice enough”

Zhuhai Charming Holiday Hotel
Ranked #6 of 549 Hotels in Zhuhai
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Gotta love how the words translate / are translated into English! The gentleman working the front desk when I checked-in was named 'Desire'.

Anyway, I stayed at the Charming Holiday Hotel earlier this year in March and it was very nice "Westernized" hotel with some interesting quirks but nothing that was detrimental to my stay.

Service (4 stars):

Front desk and other staff are friendly enough. Their level of English is very basic for the most part (to be fair, it is China!) but it didn't cause any problems.

Value (4 stars):

I can't mark up or down for this as the company I was visiting also paid for my hotel stay.

Sleep quality (4 stars):

Beds were nice although no, I didn't sleep well. It's hard to be fair when you are jet-lagged and are working or are out to dinner from 7 AM to 10 PM.

Cleanliness (5 stars):

The hotel is very clean, especially when judging by Guangdong standards. Westerners, fear not.

Location (5 stars):

To be honest with you, the location was somewhat inconvenient for me for business reasons as the company I was visiting was an hour away by car, but I can see why they had me stay at this hotel. The hotel is literally right next to the border crossing with Macau and you can walk across - just be aware that the border is not open 24 hours. The area around the hotel is bustling with people and I felt relatively safe walking around when compared to other parts of (mainland) China. The waterfront, which looks like it was just redone/revitalized, is a few blocks east and is really nice for a walk/jog.

Rooms (4 stars):

Rooms were very nice and "Westernized" although the bathroom situation is quite odd as it isn't a separate room (yes, the toilet and the shower are part of the main room, too, with just a partial divider separating them from the rest of the room, which I assume would make things a little awkward if you are traveling with someone).

Breakfast (4 stars):

The breakfast buffet was good, and, as always when in China, make sure to get your fill of the breakfast because you never know what you're going to be eating later!!!

Additional information/tips:

- I wish I would have had more of a chance to explore the area around the hotel as it seemed very pretty during the day and very lively at night

- As mentioned, staff does not excel at the English language, but don't hold that against them - they are friendly and helpful, just be patient

Not sure if I'll ever get a chance to go back to Zhuhai, but if I do, I'll try to stay here if I can.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor facing east/south!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jason_r_smith
There are newer reviews for Zhuhai Charming Holiday Hotel

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed here in April for a night. Centrally located, it is pretty much right beside Gongbei which is one reason we chose this, and the other reason is that the other hotel we wanted to stay at Guotai was all booked up doh. What i found was the room is...small, guess they try to cram in all the rooms as much as possible. Do not lose your hotel key, they will charge you for that! hotel room was quite cramped as it was me and my brother in two twins. there was literally 4 inches seperating his bed and mine. Otherwise, wifi is free which is nice. I would have rather stayed at Guotai as it was cheaper and closer to food, shopping.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before and we chose to return to this hotel this trip is because 1)great location right next to the border of Hong Kong and Macau, walking distant about 10 minutes to the train station and a few seconds walking to the huge underground shopping complex that has everything including nail salons/facial spa not to mention countless clothing stores. One can spend a whole day just doing window shopping. You just can't find a better location than this hotel especially for those who want to spend a day trip to Macau from Zhuhai you really can't beat this location. You merely walk no more than 10 minutes to the border bldg and thru customs and immigration and cross into Macau. Also behind the hotel there are couple of banks with ATM machines that you can easily withdraw local money with your bank card or the bank located inside the hotel building can exchange money at a fairly good rate also. 2)Nice clean room with comfortable bed. The only complaint is in general the room is small but has all the conveniences though and we like the modern decor. 3)Hotel staff are helpful but spotty, is a hit and miss type of thing. Despite we've stayed at this hotel twice but yet to try the hotel restaurant since there are so many good restaurants out there, our favorite is Jin Yue Xuan Cantonese Cusine on So Lover St. The food and service there is excellent like a 5 stars hotel. The hotel buffet breakfast was plentiful in selections and very delicious and not only that the dishes changed daily which is really nice. Overall our experience at this hotel has been positive and I would give them a 4 stars rating.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelwonders1234
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This hotel are perfect located at Gongbei Port to Macau. There is a huge underground system with small shopping stores that sells almost everything.
Hotel reception with very friendly staff always help you with a smile. Rooms are very big and clean. I had a De Luxe room with Seaview against Gongbei Port. Nice view from room.

Room description say this room is 52 sqm, but I think maybe around 35 sqm is more right.
Hotel breakfast was great with many choices.

Very helpful staff at this hotel.

Will stay in this hotel next time I visit Zhuhai again.

Room Tip: De Luxe room with seaview. Non smoking.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

We took a ferry from hk central to macau then took bus to zhuhai after immigration clearance with only 5 mins walking distance and reached zhuhai charming holiday hotel. We book thrus booking.con so we approach the front desk counter for check in one of the girl (forgotten to take dw her name) I ask some simple questions like what time does the connecting lift to basement underground shopping close and does they offer 24 hrs fnb room service she reply with 'you check in stay and you will know' argh !!! super rude... After Getting the keys we check in to our room 17 floor superior room facing the seaview gongbei custom we stay for 2 nitez 19-20 April. Yes I'm really in love with the open concept bathtub, the shower n toilet are seperated with a sliding door (no worries can't glance through) all the neccesities are in the room, we spend whole day at the underground mall and spend another day at lian hua road which is 10 mins walk from hotel (things r cheaper there) if u r a Singaporean please remember to have yr money changed in local b4 u go cos they do nt accept our currency. We have to go to the bank which took us 3 hrs waiting for q numbers to have our money changed to Ren Ming Bi... ok lastly we purchase our ferry ticket from hotel business center Ms Mary is nice n patience she explain to us very detailed on the ferry tickets price and timin, conceige is nice because it's raining he borrow us 2 umbrealla, biggest thanks to the 2 housekeeping girl who tidy up our messy room

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Nice rooms, comfortable beds, great service at a good rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chdave
Reviewed February 24, 2012

very convenient location. just few minutes walk to the border and shopping mall. Clean and nice design room.
Don' lose your room key card. They charged $50. The first hotel i have stayed have this charge.

Room Tip: spend a bit more for a sew view room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple