“Question to Management Replying to Reviews”

Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen
Ranked #3 of 2,786 Hotels in Shenzhen
New York, NY
“Question to Management Replying to Reviews”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I will be arriving this property in Dec with my family of 8, ages ranging from 4 to 70. I have not stayed at this hotel but after reading all the reviews, I have some concerns about the service we will receive. It is obvious that this property's management is aware of all the service issues raised by the reviewers and has taken the time to address them but I can't help but notice that guests continue to complain about similar issues (unhelpful staff, poor maintenance of public areas, inattentive service, etc). I'm sure this is not a good forum for discussion but I want to make sure management reads this and addresses future guests' concerns and reservations about staying at this property. Have all of these issues really been addressed and how is it addressed?

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bl181

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bavaria
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We were there from Nov 1st. till Nov 4 th for relaxing some days after a long business trip through China.

Our experience:

Positiv:
- very good location
- nice poolarea, nice beach
- very clean (except deckchairs)
- very good Italian restaurant
- very close to HKG and Shenzhen

negativ:
- 95 % of the staff is not able to speak and to understand enough English to serve foreign guests
- most of the staff are not motivated to do a good job
- no WLAN-WIFI in the room, only cable, so no iPhone use was possible with foreign SIMcard.
- no or too low A/C inside the hotel as lobby, floor outside of the rooms, elevators.
- no service at the beach and on the pool or only after especially asking in the restaurant (pool bar was closed). After 2 days we resigned and brought the water from the room with us.
- no towel service in the pool and beach area. Only after several asking we got the information, that we have to pick up the towels by ourselfes in the gym (long ways)
- partialy very dirty cushions (old dirt and dried up food) on the deck-chairs

- dirty plates and glases are not moved away from the pool area within 2 days

-------------------------------------------------

But they can show, that a perfect service is possible too!!!
Go to the Italian restaurant CAPRI. Food is very good but the best is the service there. On 2 days we had dinner there the waitress made an excellent service. We could see, that they were very well trainded by the restaurant manger Svetlana Persova! Congratulations to such staff! If all the staff would have this level the 5 stars would be OK for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jumah
Daisy_wt, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Greetings from Sheraton Dameisha Resort!
We like to thank you for spending your valuable time to provide us feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are indeed pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and the services at our Capri Italian restaurant have met your expectation. We will certainly convey your kind compliments to Svetlana and her team.

However, we regret to learn some of the inconvenience caused to you which we like to apologize. It is through such feedback that we are able to identify areas for improvement and deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect of a Sheraton hotel. We will certainly take the necessary steps to rectify the issues you have raised.

Once again, thank you for your time and we look forward to having you back soon at the Sheraton Dameisha Resort.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed here over 5 days and it was a great hotel. Breakfast was wonderful, and the hotel grounds, pools and facilities were top notch.
However and this is a problem I think with most asian hotels. Why dont they aircondition the hallways lifts and lobbies. Our room was fine, (once you put the card in.) but getting in and out of lifts and around the public areas was painfull. I understand its to save power but its a comfort thing and for the room rate I belive this is below par.
Room service, cleaning and laundry services were great.
Also my access cards never worked longer than 2 uses. I needed the reception to fix it at least 5 times.
Cheers

Room Tip: ask for an extra card so you can leave your room air con and fridges on. If you like cold beer it wi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Daisy_wt, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen, responded to this review, November 13, 2011

Greetings from Sheraton Dameisha Resort!

We like to thank you for spending your valuable time to provide us feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are indeed pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities, Sheraton signature sweet-sleeper bed, the room views and good food at our restaurants.

However, we regret to learn some of the inconvenience caused to you which we like to apologize. Please be assured you that we will take the necessary steps to rectify the issues you have raised. We certainly believe that through such feedback, we are able to identify areas for improvement and deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect of a Sheraton hotel.

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is probably the lowest quality / price ratio of SPG hotel in China or in this world. Majority of the staff including management was not pleasant and helpful.
Although the hardware of the hotel was contemporary and nicely built, they were poorly managed:

1. 3 light bulbs out of 10 were burnt out with nobody cared.
2. Two clocks in the swimming pool were stopped running.
3. And the most unbearable, the pool water was like vegetable soup with thousands of tiny fragmented leaves. My daughter then suffered skin allergy. When I reflected this major problem to the top management, he did not care to investigate but bluntly replied that they made no compromise in the quality of swimming pool water. A fool never learns and I could understand why the management was so poor.
4. They were terribly lean and mean and tended to offer no extra benefits to loyal customers of SPG like platinum member. When I first asked for extended check out time, they "generously" offered the standard platinum member's privilege of 4 pm check out.
5. The central HVAC was powerful enought but this beast was out of control. I was an HVAC engineer and could not control the room temperature to a comfortable level and liked staying in a freezer.
6. The elevators were over duty and my experience record high was waiting for over ten minutes. Your room card in triggering your buttom push to reach your room never work well, dumb stupid!

Yet the occupancy rate was high because of the summer vacation season. I guess that this was one of the reason why the management was so arrogant and indifferent to customers' satisfactions as they have bottom line to report anyway. I am curious to know their occupancy during winter time when their selling point, the private beach is out of question.
If you have a choice in other hotel in Dameisha, avoid this SPG hotel being the worst SPG hotel I have ever stayed worldwide. While I have written good and commendable reviews on other hotels in SPG like Rome St Regis and Paris Le Meridiesn Etoile, this SPG hotel is a rotten egg in SPG basket and a shame too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank VTSM
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I have been traveling consistently for the last six months and staying at SPG hotels the entire time. I thought a beach weekend would be a good idea... and then I stayed here. The property itself is very pretty and, the weekend I was there, there were very few people staying, so it was like having the place to myself.

Unfortunately, the service was awful. If I didn't know SPG hotels to consistently have good service at other properties, I would never stay at another Sheraton again.

I called before my arrival to confirm how to best get to the hotel and was given terrible advice (although I was offered a car service that was TWICE the rate from other drivers). When I arrived, the desk attendant had no idea what he was doing and was basically asleep when I came to the desk. In addition to that a very large, very intimidating man took my luggage and would not let me take it up to my room myself because he wanted a tip. Each time I ordered room service, there were several issues in ordering, including having to repeat a very simple order (eggs, bacon, mushrooms) several times and still getting the wrong meal delivered. When I sat by the pool, although there were many, many people working not one came by in the 12 hours I spent at the pool to check on me. I had to go to the bar and still get a woman's attention (who was actively reading a binder). There are many more examples... and I am not really sure if they were just having a really terrible weekend, but it seems like much more than that. If you don't mind terrible service, go ahead and stay here.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are very nice, but very bright to wake up to.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Erica319
sabrina_ztt, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Greetings from Sheraton Dameisha Resort!

We like to thank you for spending your valuable time to provide us with feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the overall hotel facilities. However, it is with regret to hear about the service that you have encountered which we like to apologize. We certainly appreciate your constructive comments as it is through such feedback that we are able to monitor and improve the consistency of our services.

We hope to win back your confidence if we could be given another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel. Thank you.
HK
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed there with my husband and my 4 years old daughter for 3 days! The hotel was no doubt the best in dameisha! Huge Pool and private beach which was great fun for my daughter! Service were really average, few good and bad points!
Good:
- Upon arrival, long queue at the reception (it was a friday) and we were quickly diverted to the 2nd floor 'VIPs 'members' check in area and were shown to the room in no time.

-the Chinese restaurant was fantastic with both food and service quality.

-The room was beautiful and has a great view. Beds were really comfortable and the choice of tv channel was good in china standard.

-long queue again for check out (Sunday), but were told we can check out at the VIP area, the lady there was nice and friendly and out in no time!

-the bellboy were very nice and helpful for locating our pre-booked car, big thank you to them!

Bad points:
However, service received from some of the staff were really not up to a five star standard! In fact, it was really poor !

- our room was not clean even after we turned on the cleaning request light for 6 hours! (there was a button at the door if you want your room to be clean) And when I called the front desk, the lady on the phone was so rude, I asked her to send me some clean towel ( came back after a swim) and clean my room later as my daughter needed a nap, all she said was 'ok ok '! Not even a sorry from her! A very polite housekeeping lady came and apologised profusely and told me she was really busy, i was completely fine and happy until ....... when called the front desk again and tell them to come and clean my room later on, it was the same lady who picked up the phone and as soon as I told her the room number and she went ' yeh yeh yeh I know I know!'
There is no way to talk to a hotel guest like this in a 3 star hotel but from a 5 star Sheraton, unbelievable! I will have to say the housekeeping lady can do a better job than her for customer service and maybe the management should consider to do a swap for them!

- the life guard (not sure if they were or just staff walking around the pool) working both indoor and outdoor were wearing shoes! It was worst that to see those working in the indoor swimming pool with shoes on was really off putting, we can see them leaving black water marks when hopping on the stones between the hot tub and the pool. If they really were life guard, are they going to jump into the pool for a rescue with their shoes on or will they have to take time to take them off??? Even if they have to wear shoes for some reasons, can they walk all the way round the pool instead of hopping between the stones as a short cut because that is the place where the swimmer will sit on for a rest! I have to stopped my daughter several times when she tried to sit on it!

-while we were in the hot tub, one parents let their daughter 'wee' on the ground right next to the hot tub and we were absolutely horrified and none of those 'life guard' were around for at least 10 mins and when they eventually shown up, they were at the very far end of the pool!

-we went to the reception in person the night before we leave and requested for a late check out ( 1:00pm, as our pick up was 1:20pm) we got an ok from the gentlemen at the reception but still got a call at 12:00 on the day and reminded us we were well overdue the check out time!

The hotel was great with its hardware but were completely let down by the management and the poorly trained staff! We had a great time and would love to go back to this hotel again but the management will really have to work hard on improving their customer service!

Room Tip: As high as you can!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DWANL
sabrina_ztt, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 3, 2011

Greetings from Sheraton Dameisha Resort!

We like to thank you for spending your valuable time to provide us feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are indeed pleased to hear that you and your family have enjoyed the hotel facilities, Sheraton signature sweet-sleeper bed, the room views and good food at our restaurants.

However, we regret to learn some of the inconvenience caused to you which we like to apologize. Please be assured you that we will take the necessary steps to rectify the issues you have raised, and enhance guest service experience. We certainly believe that through such feedback, we are able to identify areas for improvement and deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect of a Sheraton hotel.

Once again, thank you for your comments.
China
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort for 2 nights. First off, when we pulled up to the main entrance, no one came out to open our doors or ask if we needed help with our luggage. I had to get out of my car and go inside the lobby to find someone to help us. Check-in was routine, yet the staff did not seem overly friendly, like someone else wrote, 'functional'.

When we got up to our room the first thing we noticed was a musty odor. The ceiling had mildew all over it and I found mold on parts of the wooden furniture. The bedding was also quite dirty with various stains...same goes for the carpeting. This is totally unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber. We called down to ask for a different room and the manager upgraded our room to a suite (free of charge). This was the only thing the staff did that I considered high quality.

The suite was gigantic! Two bathrooms and a living room with a separate bedroom. The bathroom and adjoining walk-in closet were also quite large. All-in-all, the suite was very nice. Oddly, there was no odor in the suite and I didn't find any mold. There were still several stains on the carpets, though.

Room service was horrible! Staff were impolite and even forgot to bring half the order (a plate of nachos and 'cheese' - I'll get to the cheese part in a moment). When asked to bring sour cream, they informed us they didn't have any. No sour cream? Wow! Either the chef is clueless, or they need to do some grocery shopping! Back to the cheese. They only put cheese on the very top, so basically 75% of the chips didn't have cheese! Unbelievable considering the price! I wanted to call down and complain, but my wife said to let it go.

Basically this is a resort geared towards mainland Chinese. The service was pretty horrible considering the brand. There's nothing worse than an unfriendly and unprofessional hotel staff. I will never go back to this hotel and I will advise all my colleagues and friends to avoid this place.

One last note. I usually stay at Marriott hotels when I travel. This is the third Sheraton I have stayed at, and funnily enough, all of them lacked professional hotel staff and quality service. That's it for me! No more Sheraton!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChinaFencesitter
sabrina_ztt, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dameisha Resort, Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 12, 2011

Greetings from Sheraton Dameisha Resort!

We regret to learn of the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. Please be assured that these matters are being looked into so that we can better serve you and other guests.