“Not bad, not memorable either.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Queen Spa

Queen Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Spas & Wellness in Shenzhen
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Yes, it is a little quirky (casino meets theme park meets spa) but that’s what makes this destination so interesting. Relax and have a massage and a unique cultural experience at one of the city’s most popular spas.
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not bad, not memorable either.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I went to Queen Spa with my sister. We both got full body Chinese massages and she got a foot massage while I got a manicure. We got there in the afternoon, stayed the night, and then left around noon.

The way the staff seems to get paid is off tips-- I imagine it's similar to the waiter/waitress wages in the U.S. where you get paid dirt low, and make up the rest through guest tipping. With that said, expect the staff to milk you for tips as much as possible. My sister and I were generous tippers, but it is important that you go into Queen Spa with a very good idea of how much you are willing to pay because all the numbers add up quickly. The services aren't too expensive if you keep converting in your head how much it is in USD (i.e. a 90-minute full body Chinese massage was 168 cny, which equates to about $27 USD) but it definitely isn't the cheapest massage you can get in Shenzhen. As for whether or not it was worth it, I'd say the services were so-so. I wasn't impressed, but I'm not asking for my money back either.

The facilities for the most part are nice. Like other reviewers mentioned, it's reminiscent of a casino, but instead of slot machines, replace it with things like reclining chairs and the such. There is a smoking section and a non-smoking section but they are so close together it might as well be one large smoking section. Had to smell smoke all night while I was sleeping. Also, for some reason, it gets really loud around midnight so you might not have that restful a sleep if you don't plan on sleeping in the accommodations section of Queen Spa.

Fruits, snacks like peanuts, and drinks from the self-service machine are free and you can order them directly from your seat in the rest area without worrying about paying. I do suggest you get the fruits yourself though, so you can request the guy behind the fruit counter to wash the fruits (we saw some flies buzzing around the fruits that didn't have a cover over them once or twice).

The restrooms in the female lockers and rest areas are equipped with western-style toilets and are clean, however, I would not recommend using the pool on the 5th floor or the restrooms on the 5th floor locker rooms-- they don't smell very good, and the pool doesn't look all that nice to swim in either. The women's locker rooms come with complimentary hair ties, shower caps, toothpaste/toothbrushes, shampoo, and body wash. It is very easy to access your locker (which is large enough to fit a backpack with room for a little extra), and other than the staff hovering around you while you go through items you need, it's relatively painless.

If you're Asian-American, speak *only* English. Even if you do speak some Chinese, I highly recommend you speak *only* English, because if you let them have even an idea that you speak Chinese (even if it's just a little), it'll make things very difficult for you because they'll think you're messing with them and will look down on you, speak very fast Chinese, and not help you as well as they could. We were lucky to have two staff members who spoke English very well, one of them, Bryan, was very funny and made us feel more at home than any other of the staff.

We ate at the restaurant and the staff there were the most accommodating, but it may have been because we were there for breakfast well before any other clientele were even awake so they had more time to attend to us. The food itself was average-- again, wasn't impressed but am not asking for my money back. If anything, it was the nice staff in the restaurant that made the experience worthwhile.

TL;DR / summary:
Pros: Majority clean facilities, western toilets, free snacks and self-serve drinks, nice restaurant, free overnight accommodation

Cons: Non-smoking area still smelled like smoking area, loud, have to request for fruits to be washed, hard to communicate (but insist on speaking to an English-speaking staff member), pool plus its facilities not recommended

Recommend?: No. Not very foreigner friendly. I encourage you to look elsewhere. If you do decide to go though, stay for at least one night and get your money's worth. Overnight accommodation is free.

1 Thank yoshi09

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Might not be the place for a total zen, but relaxing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was definitely a new and a different experience for me! I would go back again for sure though! Just go with the flow and you will have a great time. The best deal is to take treatments enough so that it costs more than 168Y and then you do not need to pay the 98Y entrance. On top of this you need to pay service charge and some tips as the people working there mainly live on those tips! We gave 30Y for each and had 3 different massages. On this price you get to enjoy unlimited free fresh fruits, some drinks and ice-cream! :)

Most of the staff do not speak a word of English, but they have one or two english speakers going around helping you all the time!

1 Thank VeeraBianca
Shenzhen, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dingy facilities and AWFUL personnel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We did not have a pleasant experience - definitely not living up to the great reviews.

The facilities were dark and dingy, first we went for a swim and the pool was downright disgusting. The pool showers were even worse, reminded me of public bathrooms at gas stations.

We had some smaller treatments that were nice enough, but my friend who got a massage said it was really bad.

Worst was probably the personnel. You can't get in to your locker without the attendants opening it for you, and they were extremely pushy and boarder-line perverts. They constantly wanted to dress and undress us, and when we wouldn't let them they just sat around staring at us and asking us awkward questions about our workouts and stuff.

They acted like they never seen a foreigner before, and really didn't know how to behave.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Swedeattack
Hong Kong
“Gungy and dark”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been to many spas in Shenzhen and this one really isn't at all good. The decor was dark and old. The service was bad cus you are looking for a place and no one is around to help you. The oil massage was forgettable. I would not recommend to anyone.

3 Thank WellTravelled604
“Good massage but quite expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The leg massage is good but the value is quite expensive.The place has 7levels and that's cool.I enjoy the massage