“Well-built property with average services”

InterContinental Shenzhen
Ranked #5 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I booked two nights using the Ambassador Weekend Voucher. As per instructions from the reservation, If I wanted 1 King Club Premier Suite with Club Access therefore I was recommended to book 1 King Premier Suite (without Club Access). I booked it for 3 persons.

The Suite is huge, beautiful, luxury...can't complaint at all. There is also TV in bathroom if you are just want to wasting your time in the bathroom. The whole hotel is also luxurious and beautiful. The hotel sent anniversary cake for my parents anniversary which is very nice. The Galleon bar looks terrific too. The swimming pool is also beautiful, it seems like a white sandy beach with a giant ship on it.

However, there are some points to be improved :
- I asked to the reservation regarding to Shenzhen Visa but the hotel fails to provide information regarding to the Shenzhen Visa on Arrival. When I booked Intercontinental, it means that I expect high standard of services but they couldn't provide information regarding to SEZ Visa On Arrival and asked me to apply Chinese visa in Chinese embassy. Fortunately, Novotel Hong Kong Citygate surprisingly could provide all the information that I need eventhough they are not based in Shenzhen.
- I booked for 3 persons and there was charge for the 3rd persons on my rate. However, when I entered the lounge for the first time, I was told that there are only 2 persons in the room rate and I would be charged for the 3rd person. Then I refuse to enter the lounge at all and went down to Guest Service and told that my reservation is for 3 persons. The Guest Service quickly checked my booking and then apologized for what happened since it is true that actually my reservation is for 3 persons. It seems that the reservation team made a wrong note that my room is only for 2 persons eventhough it specifies that there is 3rd person charge on the room rate details. That's explaining why there is no extra bed in the room since the hotel thought that there are only two persons in the room.

However, we still enjoyed the hotel very much despite those issues. The concierge also helpful and speaks English fluently. I asked how to get to OCT east Theme Park and he provides me the information that we wanted; he also informed us that the owner of IC Shenzhen and OCT East are same. We enjoyed our time in OCT East too and it is highly recommended if you would like to see some alternative rather than Window of the world. Just be prepared that no one speaks English in OCT East. Too bad that I can't recall the concierge's name.

Room Tip: Book their suite, it is awesome !!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank virtualaris
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with InterContinental Shenzhen. It was a pity that you were not able to have a perfect experience with us due to some communication issues, which we will soon take actions to enhance as much as we can. Kindly accept our sincere apology and we do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We planned a weekend away with 4 families, all young kids to Shenzhen. For the convenience we all booked Executive rooms with Club access as the weather forecast was not that great so we would spend most of the time in the hotel. Welcome was great; door staff and porters were really friendly. Upon check-in it took some time to understand that we were all travelling together as the level of English was very poor. We eventually ended up in the Club Lounge for check-in and after almost 2 hours (!) since we entered through the main door, we got 4 rooms on the same floor. Much of the delay was that after all the effort in allocating the rooms we were told that kids are not allowed in the Club Lounge as it is a Business hotel. Needless to say we were surprised and annoyed as it is not shown anywhere on the website room type description and the confirmation. After the really painful check-in process the rest of the stay was great. Staff was friendly and attentive. The location, swimming pool are awesome. The food in the main dining restaurant is not too great, but service and clown / kids area make up for it. Still unlogical that the whole Club Lounge no-go for kids, but the swimming facilities are super kids friendly as well as the entertainment in the all day dining restaurant. Additionally the hotel charges for an extra bed regardless if it is for children under 3 or for adults. This was also very strange as the extra bed charge is usually for 12 years and older. All in all, we eventually enjoyed the stay, and we might consider returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank DutchieLa
Alfred Z, Director of Marketing and Communications at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for letting us know about the problem that caused inconveniences to you. The hotel will certainly take actions to enhance the English proficiency of our staff so to bring ease and efficency to our guests. Meanwhile, you can be assured that InterContinental Shenzhen is dedicated to deliver excepitonal service to our guest and will do our best to continously enhance your experience when staying with us. Kindly accept our apology again and we do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am not going to type all the details on how great the hotel is in terms of size, location, decoration etc. It was my second stay there and trust me, because I had a great time during my first visit, I returned; but also because of my very nice experience before that perhaps had led me to a higher expectation which turned out to be a complete disappointment.

It meant to be a birthday celebration with my boyfriend and some other friends. The six of us booked 3 rooms and checked in together. While there wasn't any guests at the front desk, the two girls keep chit-chat and to my surprise, they didn't acknowledge our arrival. (Six people in the empty lobby at 6pm, easy to spot right?) Never mind.

We approached the counter to ask for check in, the girl gave us a jeer saying that we have to check in separately. (Alright, it does make sense if it can help speed up the process, but NO ONE is in que and NOT that when we check in separately, you gave us 3 rooms in 3 different floors)

And here comes the most horrible part that I have to explain a little. I ordered a birthday cake with reservation and have all my payment made before my trip. Upon my check in, the girl checked my passport and asked "it's said here it's birthday celebrate, how come your birthday is not today" (Honestly, it's that a questions to be asked? If someone, someone has a little common sense would have known it meant to be a little surprise, and just a small effort, if she is willing to open to second passport, she would then knew the second guest's birthday. BUT NO, she didn't bother to check, instead, she chose to gave us all a hard time since we approach the counter)

I hope she is a trainee that's why everything I encountered was an accident, the normal staff are not like this. It ruined my entire stay because of her. Please, get someone who know how to serve in your hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank SieSieC

Kindly accept our sincere apology for uncomfortable experience that you encountered during your stay with us. We understand that it was an important date for you, however the attitude that you encountered couldn't make you feel happy. You can be assured that investigation will be taken to ensure that all our staff could deliver exceptional experience to our guests. Please accept our apology again and we do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I’d like to mention how much I enjoy the duet who performs at the Alenha steakhouse.
I regularly enjoy their music so much, but last night at Galleon they had to substitute for a band that dropped out last minute.
They were playing rock n roll hits from the 90’s 2000's that I loved and I was in HEAVEN (family and work is my life, but music is my passion)
After their short set, the duo were nice enough to come and introduce themselves.
Felix and Gaby are both such nice people and talented artists, (Felix is a very talented guitarist and Gaby has the voice of an angel.) I LOVE live music.
I was happy tonight to hear them in the lobby just now when I got back from my long day.

I look forward to hearing them every night.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank PAUL_HEWS0N
Liz W, PR Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for your commnets, it's very encouraging and I will share your compliments with Felix & Gaby. We are honored to provide the best service to every guest to make their journey in Shenzhen extraodinary.
Thanks again! Look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I am very amazed to find that Shenzhen can be so green. The hotel is in the OCT area and right next to an underground station. But it is so secluded that you won't feel the busy world outside.

It covers a very large area with a outdoor swimmimg pool that looks like a waterpark and a indoor standard size pool as well. All bedrooms have balcony and it's hugh. The bath tub is about the size of a double bed and I can actually stretch my legs.

It's only 5 mins taxi to OCT-Loft where all the artistics stuff and hip things are happening. Good food too.

Overall, very very impressed. Will be back in May.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Uffizi930
Liz W, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank’s for your comments, we are pleased that you had a good time with InterContinental Shenzhen.
The Hotel is situated amidst the Overseas Chinese Town wherein lies a cultural, artistic and financial center. Within walking distance are the popular cluster of attractions such as cultural parks, art museum and shopping mall.
The outdoor swimming pool you mentioned is 2000 sqm and it's a part of our 10,000 sqm landscaped Caribbean garden. It's regarded by many guests, we are happy that you enjoy it.
We do look forward to your next visit in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is my 3rd visit to the hotel. I write in the comment box about the special occasion of my stay during online booking. The GSM Joyce has noted our need and has prepared the room much in advance. The hotel also upgraded me to a suite for the ocassion and the membership and granted club access. Thanks again for the arrangement of the intercontinental.

Everything just perfect with the hotel, very nice room and it is close to o-city and subway station. It also has a wonderful ship bar so that you can have some local made beer which taste so good. Except the breakfast isn't taste so good (the variety of food is okay). I've no hesitation to recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: if you're going on special occasion, remember to let the hotel know in advance so that they can...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joejoejoehk
Liz W, PR Officer at InterContinental Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased that you spent a good time with InterContinental Shenzhen.
We never stop working on improving our food qality, and bring entire new products continually, hope you can find it different from the last experience.
Look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are ample and very comfortable, service for the most is good, efficient and friendly. The hotel does have 5 star facilities with a nice option of both indoor and an outdoor pool. But small attention to detail is a bit lacking in certain areas. Cutlery in the buffet restaurant needed polishing, some old and bent.

On the whole a pleasant stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your comment. For the point you mentioned we reflected to operations department for improvement. InterContinental Shenzhen is dedicated to deliver exceptional service to every guest. You will be expected to see further enhanced service during your next visit. Look forward to your return in the future.