“Good hotel, poor service”

Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #30 of 2,840 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed January 7, 2012

The check-in was extremely slow. I asked for a non smoking room but was given a smoking room at first and had to go back to the front desk. Service in the restaurant was similar. Overal they are not rude, just slow and kind of useless.
Rooms and amenities are excellent, food at the lunch buffet was good. Fitness room and swimming pool were good too.
A very good hotel for business but would expect better of the service for the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
LynnXiao, Public Relations Manager at Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time to provide us your kind comments which are truly appreciated yet I am naturally concerned regarding the service issue you mentioned. I would like to take this opportunity to convey our most sincere apologies. It is certainly beneficial to receive such constructive comments. We sincerely trust the unfortunate experiences encountered during your recent stay with us will not deter you, or your colleagues, from choosing the Kempinski Shenzhen once again in the future so we may have the opportunity to provide you with the standard of service that hopefully, then, exceeds your expectations.

Dear valued guest, once again many thanks for your valued patronage and we look forward to welcoming you to the Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was my second stay at the Kempinski Shenzhen, and once again it was excellent.

One slight issue with my room, it smelled like mold, however when i explained this to the front desk, i was moved to a new room, and upgraded to a larger room.

Rooms are large, clean, and well appointed. Free internet connection in your room, no Wi Fi unfortunately, but no issues with the wired connection. Several TV channels in english to choose from.

The breakfast buffet is huge, with both Western and Asian choices, an omelet station, and waitstaff that serves you coffee or tea as soon as you sit down.

Taxi's are readily available should you need one, or the hotel can arrange for a car to take you where ever you need to go.

The location of the Kempinski is excellent as well, there is a large mall, Costal City, directly behind the hotel, and a Carefour right next to the hotel.

If you have stayed here in the past you will remember that there was construction all around the hotel, this is all completed now, and the area is much prettier now, and the traffic issues from the construction are now gone.

I will certainly stay at the Kempinski on my next trip to Shenzhen.

Dear Ms. CosmoKitty24,

It was indeed our great pleasure to have you stay with us again during your recent visit to Shenzhen and we thank you for choosing the Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen as your preferred choice of accommodation in this vibrant city.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your very nice comments. we are sincerely pleased that you were content with our services and wish to express that we shall endeavour to continuously improve towards exceeding your expectations in the future.

Once again, many thanks for your valued patronage and we look forward to welcoming you soon to the Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Horriable check in service I had ever met. Check in time was supposed to be 3 pm. I arrived with my family including 2 children at 3:15pm, the front desk staff said the room were not ready. After filling in the check in forms, we were told to wait till 4:30-5:00pm to get the room key. We then went back at 4:30, supposed to ger the keys right away, another front desk staff kept checking in the computers, telling us we still need to wait, saying there was another group of people waited for 4 hours already and didn't get the rooms yet. Am I supposed to wait for 4 hours for the rooms I reserved? Were the rooms supposed to be ready before I arrived? After struggling for awhile, they arranged smoking rooms ( I booked non-smoking rooms) for us, put down the key cards to us on the table, saying these are the keys, no eye contact, no smile, no direction to lift lobby, this was the worse service during my hotel stay in last 10 years. I definitely won't go there again.

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear valued guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us during your recent visit to Shenzhen. Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us your valuable comments. We are naturally concerned regarding the service defectives: slow check-in procedure and non-smoking room assignment for which I would like to take this opportunity to convey our most sincere apologies. It is certainly beneficial to receive such constructive comments and we can assure you we shall continuously endeavour to improve our services commensurate with a Kempinski Hotel.

Dear valued guest, once again our sincere apologies for the inconvenience during your recent stay and if we can be of any assistance, in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time of your convenience.

With best regards from Shenzhen

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I always stay there on business trips in Shenzhen. Very nice and large rooms. All the buildings around have been demolished to make way for new buildings including a very large public space lined with outdoor restaurants (a rare sight in China) and shops. There is also a 1km pedestrian elevated street (also lined with shops and restaurants).
The breakfast is good too.

1  Thank Congo41
LynnXiao, Public Relations Manager at Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

Dear Congo41,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your recent visit to Shenzhen.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your time to share with us your valued feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoy your stay with us. Many thanks for your valued patronage and we look forward to welcoming you once again to the Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen.

With best regards

Reviewed November 14, 2011

My first business trip to Asia included a trip to Shenzhen. Unfortunately there isn't a rating between poor and average, bc it's not that the hotel is poor, it's just that the amenities for business travel aren't the best.

There is no wireless internet connection in the rooms. On long trips, I don't want to sit at a desk in order for me to hook up by a cable to access my work network. The only place I could get wireless service was on the 25th floor - the executive floor.

They reprimanded me for taking pictures in the lobby. Not sure why.

I reserved a non-smoking room, and the first room I got smelled like people were in there smoking. I was able to get another room that didn't smell smoky.

Both visits to this hotel in 2 weeks, my reservation was incorrect. The first time was the smoking incident listed above, and the other was the hotel not giving me my company's corporate rate. I showed the concierge on the 25th floor my receipt from the week before which had my company's corporate rate and they wouldn't change the rate.

The lights in my bathroom are really dim, even with all the lights on (room 1211). I also stayed in room 1701 last week, and that room's lighting was 100% better, however, that was a salon suite I think.

The buffet restaurant is fine with a good selection. The guys behind the grill are not attentive, even with 7 people waiting in line for grilled meat. The wait staff is great - very attentive.

The pictures on the website make it look like a really incredible hotel - and it really is beautiful, however, the services and amenities are lacking.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
LynnXiao, Public Relations Manager at Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Ms. Sfilipski,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us during your recent visit to Shenzhen. Thank you for taking your valuable time to help us write up a very detail review . We are naturally concerned regarding the service defectives: non-smoking room assignment, corporate rate issue and the service problem of the restaurant grill staff for which we would like to take this opportunity to convey our most sincere apologies. It is certainly beneficial to receive such constructive comments and we can assure you we shall continuously endeavour to improve our services commensurate with a Kempinski Hotel.

Moreover, we will look into solutions to improve the hardware standard i.e: the in-room wireless internet connection and the brighter bathroom lighting system. Since it shall be a big project, we might need a relativlly long time to carefully plan and then implement.

We are very sorry that our staff stop you for taking pictue in the hotel lobby. However please undersand we apply this policy equally to every guests. By doing this, we protect the privacy of our guests and ensure that none of our guests are taken into other guest's photo by accident.

Ms. Sfilipski, once again our sincere apologies for the inconvenience during your recent stay and if we can be of any assistance, in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time of your convenience.

With many thanks and best personal regards

Reviewed November 1, 2011

The name attracts you a lot but starting with check in the headaches starts. Long, long, long. No explanation and no questions regarding what they are looking for. The rooms are fine. The amenities are enough. The chinese restaurant's service is extremely slow. The communication is difficult at all levels. The breakfast menu was excellent. If you are lucky to stay during low season you can enjoy the breakfast at main restaurant but if it is high season the alternative place is :(
It is recommended due to location but search for other alterntiez.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear Mr. Laquila,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.Naturally, we are concerned with respect to the checkin processure and the slow service in Chinese Restaurant that were not to the required standard. We assure you that your comments shall be appropriately addressed so we may continuously improve our operating standards.

Mr. Laquila please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience during your recent stay We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

With best regards

Reviewed October 15, 2011

I usually stay somewhere else in Shezhen, but not after staying at the Kempinski - this is my new choice! The hotel is good value for money and the very immediate area are tons of restaurants, cafes, and shopping. The rooms are big and ammenities are good.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
LynnXiao, Public Relations Manager at Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear 2travelingbugs,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your positive feedback. Your wonderful comments makes our day! We shall endeavour to continuously improve our service and standard towards exceeding your expectations in the future.

We are looking much forward to welcoming you once again to Kempinski Hotel Shenzhen !