“Minsk Russian aircraft carrier” 4 of 5 bubbles

Minsk World
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dismissed by the Russian navy, USSR aircraft carrier Minsk is part of a military theme park.
North Palm Beach, Florida
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Minsk Russian aircraft carrier”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

If you have any interest in military hardware, this is worth seeing. Take tourist bus #1(5yuan) on Shennan Rd, make sure you ask the ticket girl to tell U when to get off. There are about 8 Migs and an interesting aircraft carrier from the USSR heydays. Not cheap, about $20..

Visited October 2011
5 Thank CaptErnie

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 294 helpful votes
“Not the greatest military vessel to wander around in the world...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

Various other reviewers have paid 100 RMB for a taxi from Lo Wu - I'd recommend you save some money and get the bus (205), although this does take about half an hour and if our bad-tempered driver was anything to go by, you might be unlucky and miss your stop.
Anyway, it's ok. Not awful. If you're a native English speaker, you'll either derive great amusement from the terrible signs posted around, or be depressed that having bought this great big ship, the owners have done ,,, precisely nothing for its upkeep. Everything is rusting or paint is flaking off - I know it's not a working ship, but it feels like a dead one.
You might also get worn out wandering from gift shop to gift shop to gift shop - how many times are you going to want to look at novelty Sukhoi shaped paperweights?
The positives: it's a really big boat. Really big. Maybe that's why they can't afford to paint it - not like HMS Belfast in London. On the other hand, you don't get to wander around so much of the ship as the Belfast - although I don't know if anyone really wants to get that close to a decommissioned nuclear reactor. The war simulation is quite fun, and the staff are all very friendly and happy to see you - almost as if you were the only people visiting the ship that day...
There's a very cheap noodle shop down the street from Minsk World - 5 RMB for a bowl of freshly made noodles, and two doors down you could get your hair cut, so I suppose it's a full day of entertainment and fun. I can't help but think you'd get your money's worth proportionate to how fast you walked around the main "attraction"

5 Thank MrCushtie
SG
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Warship in Shenzhen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

We intended to spend a few hours exploring Shenzhen, and decided to head to the Minsk after reading about the theme park on Wikitravel.

Getting to the theme park was relatively convenient, as we managed to flag a cab near the Luo Wu MTR station.

After forking out HK$100 for the taxi charge, we arrived at the main entrance of the park. Unfortunately, the ticketing counter at the park did not accept HK dollars, so we had no choice but to change some Renminbi.

Apart from some stationary exhibits near the entrance, the key attraction of the park was a Russian aircraft carrier, which has been docked at that location for 8 years.

After being greeted by the friendly crew at the main entrance of the ship, we made our way towards the flight deck, passing by pictures depicting the ship's history, and some of the warheads used by the ship in the past.

We were just in time to catch the drill and dance performance on the flight deck, which was quite entertaining. Plenty of good photo opportunities were available on the flight deck, with the helicopters and fighter jets on display.

After exploring the flight deck, we made our way to the control bridge of the ship, where a multi-sensory experience awaited us. As a war video plays on the widescreen, visitors are treated to realistic sound effects and a vibrating bridge that rocks with the action on screen.

The rest of the time is spent exploring the huge ship, including the crew quarters, warhead holding areas and tank deck.

There are two main dance performances for visitors to the ship, which are well-scheduled throughout the day. The second dance performance is actually a musical of the adventures of the Minsk crew as they explore faraway lands, and visitors get to watch it at the tank deck of the ship, just before exiting. I would consider this fantastic performance the highlight of the visit.

Overall, it was a worthwhile attraction, and I would recommend it to anyone with a few hours to spare in Shenzhen.

6 Thank ckwongb
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Be aware of transportation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

I enjoyed visiting Minsk World. Like others have said, the park is not really geared for non-Chinese speakers, but you can enjoy the sites and plenty of English language signs and articles.

At Lo Wu station I got a booklet that had the address in Chinese. I took a cab and it is about 10-15 miles from the station.

When I was finished at the park, I noticed there were no taxi cabs. I walked a few blocks down the street and realized I could not even read bus schedules since it was all in Mandarin. Luckily I saw a cab and hailed it a few blocks later. I would advise going in a tour or have arranged transport.

I really enjoyed touring the ship and it is worth seeing.

4 Thank river_plate_94
Romford, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Worth a look”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

I went to Minsk World after spending a week in Hong Kong and just needed to fill a day before I went home. I had already gone to Shenzhen earlier in the week to see an artist village and also for cheap shopping and was keen to explore more of the place.

The ship looks fantastic as you walk up to it. Very grand and large. It is however disappointing in that most of the ship not just gutted but mostly a shell. There are however some great exhibitions to still be seen. The dancing on board by Russian dancers are amazing and the chinese dancing is worth a look too. They also have some dancing on the deck as well. There was a simulation of an attack which although in Chinese was possible to get the gist.

The disappointing thing is this place is geared for the Chinese not the caucasions. Although I was made very welcome if I was intersted in a particular aspect I could ask nobody for additonal information whereas this was available for the Chinese.

However, this was not a major deal for me. I relished being in such unfamiliar cultural terrain. A russion ship in the middle of China!!!! There was enough English signs for me to navigate myself around and also I was able to communicate well enough by sign language to get around.

All in all, I thought although it was a bit kitsch it was still a very fun day out for me.

5 Thank gordi_graham