“Very Average and Expensive”

Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #576 of 4,149 Restaurants in Shenzhen
Cuisines: German
Shanghai, China
“Very Average and Expensive”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

When I look for good, authentic cuisine, one of the things I look for when entering an eatery is how many people from the country or region eat there. There is a Turkish place in town that always has eastern Mediterranean men and women eating there and it is great. In America, I want to eat in a Mexican place that has Mexicans eating in it and the same goes for Chinese, German, Italian, etc., The website informs the reader that the mission of the Brotzeit Shenzhen restaurant is to introduce German food to Chinese and seeing that we were the only Westerners in the place, I suppose they succeeded.

We wanted good German food but got just so-so food. The salad was terrible to the point that even though we split it, we did not finish it. The Knoblauchwurst was decent, but a bit overcooked and the sour kraut was awful. We picked at the potatoes, but did not eat them.

Toward the end of our meal a Canadian woman walked in and asked about the fare, knowing that we would tell her straight. We did and encouraged her to food other food choices. The food was not worth what we paid and the service was below average (even for China) as well. We won't go back and hate that as we love German food. There is a great place in Nanshan, but it is too far to go there often from Luohu and so, I'll buy the stuff and cook my own. I hope the place changes it's focus and becomes a real foodies place where one walks away satisfied and happy.

• Visited August 2013