“Great hotel and value for money”

Sunshine Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #42 of 2,844 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was pleasantly suprised at how nice this hotel was. Beautiful lobby with the wow factor and the rooms are a decent size, not huge but certainly larger than a normal hotel room. Seems like there has been upgrades to furnishings etc as it doesnt seem old even though it is an old hotel. Very clean and I found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and speak reasonable English. And they do a decent Western Breakfast. The buffest is a big expensive but you can choose different breakfast options from the room service menu and it's reasonable.
The location is also excellent, in a nice area, with nice shops around and feels safe. Beds are not that soft but it's China! I thought it was great value and would certainly come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank alacazam

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Hi I was in SZ for short holiday from 23 - 27 March 2014. Initially when I checked in, there was some hiccups. I have book thru the site with breakfast package. However it seems that the offer was not captured anywhere on the printout. I was offer the breakfast at additional price which I politely decline (When dealing with the Chinese, understanding and respect with them do pay off).

I further told them I would feedback to the site which I have booked. I was given a free upgrade facing the main road (the main attraction was the colorful water fountain which will open at night). After gaining access to my room which I was happy with, the phone rang and told me that breakfast as booked will be arrange for me. The receptionist was clear and concise and explained the deposit which was collected and exact charges to be incur at the end of the stay.

The hotel is entrance is designed with references made to fengshui. There are 2 elephant guarding the entrance and is fronted with a water fountain. In between the elephant is statue stone.

Being someone in security field, I could tell the hotel is built to specifications to guest safety in mind. There a big green pouch in front of the hotel entrance, which is border with lush vegetation perimeter. Public will not be able to access these areas as they have to access from the sides. This serve as some sort of emergency gathering point if there and evacuation.

Public cars are not allowed to park in front of the hotel. They can stop along the 1 way lane; drop their luggages and passengers. Only hotel guest car are allow use of car park in front of the entrance.

Car park in the basement are not directly below the hotel itself.

All rooms comes with water sprinklers and each room is equipped with portable mask fir use in case of fire emergency.

Noticeably good fire practice is that they build the green emergency signs at feet level and not eye level. This way, in event of smoke outbreak while you are crawling on the feet, you can still follow the signs.

Aside to these, the breakfast is simple and not so oily. Mix of Chinese and English breakfast are on the menu. There are also small area for vegetarian.

The hotel is ideally located just off the grid of hustle and bustle of busy human traffic which is around 25 minutes from Laojie and luowu. Something you will appreciate if you need silence to sleep.

Closest MTR is 10 minutes away. There is Fast Food Joint MacDonald and convenient store opposite diagonally across the hotel.

Overall, the housekeeping, rest staff did adopt a discreet posture and helpful when needed. Will return to this hotel if I am back in Shenzhen.

While I was there, I did not come across any vice or hanky panky substance around the hotel. So you can safely say it quite ok for kids and female guest to move around the hotel.

There a mini gold course at the lower floor.

The staff were professional. I have purposely left a can of beer in the bar fridge and they even offer to bring it to me while I was checking out.

For surrounding physical location, the security rate from hotel on foot walking to Laojie is safe. There are designated point along the road where the police officers are stationed to keep an lookout. Even in the Metro, at various cross intersection , security officers keep an eye on commuters safety.

Room Tip: I stay at room 719. Directly facing the main road and the billboards. It was great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank FanYongjie
Reviewed February 4, 2014

As I sit here in my hotel room, in the Sunshine Hotel in Shenzhen, China - I'm surprised at how nice this hotel is. From the hotel lobby, to the restaurants and lounge (haven't and don't plan to check out the gym or sauna/spa) to my room. I say this because I usually stay at other, bigger name, thus more expensive hotels when I travel to Asia.

The service was awesome as soon as I stepped foot into the main lobby. One of the staff took my luggage and waited with me while I checked in. Check in process was quick and simple and the front desk attendant who helped me, spoke enough English for me not to massacre the Mandarin language.

The room has everything you expect in a hotel. I have to admit, there's more amenities for sale, then complimentary ones - but I go to the local shop to stock up on things for when I'm in my room anyway.

The bed mattress is pretty firm - it's not quite memory foam but it's firm on that level. I'm here during the Spring Festival and I asked for a room facing the street which I won't do again if I visit this time of year because the lighting decorating the front face of this hotel emits enough light to illuminate my room. Thank God for black out curtains. If you're reading this - skip the room facing the street - less traffic noise.

The room is clean and the decor reminds me of two worlds colliding. Modern and traditional coming together but it is what it is. It's a nice and affordable place for me to lay my head at night, store my things during the day and for me to clean up in between.

Because of the location though - I would definitely stay here again. It's a block from the King Glory Plaza. A few blocks from the Dongmen Shopping area and if you don't mind walking a bit, it's not very far from the Luohu train station - Hong Kong/Shenzhen border crossing.

Room Tip: No traffic noise on room facing away from the street
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ran C
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I think the hotels in China are nnot very expensive and are good for the budget but the same is refelected in the service too. You cannont expect any place or anyone to go out of the way for the guest service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Wasn't expecting it to be good as the hotel already established for quite some time. However, still decide to stay in this hotel because of the location near King Glory Shopping Mall & also Luohu Train Station.
Booked Executive Suite and was surprised that the room was maintained quite well and very spacious. But I heard that the suite have been refurbished. So I can't really comment for other rooms.
There are also executive lounge for guest who stayed in executive lounge. The breakfast in the lounge was good. It is simple but sufficient. And also don't need to join the crowd in other restaurant. Good comfortable place for breakfast.
The service also is quite good. The reception was quite attentive to guest request.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Sunshine for a convention and on the first day itself, my doubts about an old hotel quickly disappeared when I realised how well they have maintained the hotel. The experienced staff also helped a lot in making sure our functions were coordinated well and our guests were well taken care off. The Account Manager, Zhang, was very attentive and was always available when our team required assistance.

The location is within walking distance to various malls and restaurants. Gym facilities not fantastic but adequate.

Highly recommended for business and leisure.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank lengcw
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Room was fine, and they now have free wifi in the rooms. Restaurant for dim sun was big and popular with the locals. Location is an upscale area close to the Lo Wu (Luo Hu) border crossing, and a short walk from the Shenzhen Guomao metro station (one stop from Luohu). Sorry, I did not have breakfast at the hotel, so I cannot rate that. But it seemed to be a first class hotel in all respects.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends