“Relax and enjoy”

Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #18 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Excellence room facilities make you feel like home. Free wifi without interuption.
Conveniently located. Next to the MTR station.
Breakfeast is the best amongst all the nearby hotels. Western buffet with millions of selection.

Room Tip: Free wifi without interruption
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
George B, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Ng D,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, as your choice in Shenzhen. We are grateful for your positive feedback with regards to the facilities, amenities, location and food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Shenzhen in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Excellent locatoin and enthusiastic staff
Shenzhen Shangri-La is worth my frequent visit for business trip.
Won't lose face to introduce this hotel to your clients all over the world.
Excellent restaurant on 2nd floor. Must have a try once in your life.

Room Tip: the 27th floor is my favorite in ShenZhen ShangriLA hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Benson T,

Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your pleasant experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a nice stay and enjoyed our location, amenities, food and room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I visited the hotel together with my wife just to spend the weekend, I am used to the Horizon Club and every time I asked to stay at the Horizon, only proble this time is the breakfast menu seemed unchanged all the time, wonder if you can consider making some changes

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
George B, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Siu Kei T,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience with us. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your weekend. Our apologies for the poor experiences you have mentioned, we would appreciate if you could provide more details via e-mail at slz@shangri-la.com so we may investigate and follow up accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I am back in GZ now. I wish to thank Ada Chen at Lounge bar, for her excellent hospitality. Last week after being picked up by my friends, we went to Shangri-la for a high time together. The opportunity to meet such a nice person is what I appreciate very much, and I hope there is another chance to be served by her.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jennifer Z,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a nice stay and enjoyed our amenities, service and rooms. Your positive comments will are noted and feedback rest assured will be given to Ada Chen, we will continuously strive to deliver the hospitality that you mention.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is one of the very few Shangrila hotels that did not live up to expectation.

First, while the location is convenient for those seeking quick access to both SZ train station and subway, the immediate Luohu locality is rather run-down and even seems seedy and unsafe at night. This partly explains the lack of any sofa or chair in the hotel lobby (to deter free-loaders and unsavoury characters) and the unmistakable presence of many hotel security staff monitoring the human traffic in the lobby.

The reception staff all speak good English but I find most of them, with the exception of a lady Asst manager, are simply going about their job. I did not feel any warmth or welcome when I checked in.

The hotel property itself is dated, over 30 years old, so guests should manage their expectations. If possible, do avoid the standard rooms, which are older and less well-equipped compared to the deluxe rooms eg. there is not even a socket to readily connect a DVD player. Worse, if the hotel air-cond control is not set heater mode, you may be left to literally chill out in your bedroom.

Breakfast quality and service at the cafetaria is adequate but nothing to shout about.

All in all, an old and over-rated hotel. Better to look for a newer property and one not located next door to a huge train station at the busy HK-china border.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Many aspects of this old but well-managed hotel allow the Shangri La to continue sparkling in this part of Shenzhen, despite being more than 20 years old and perhaps having served a few million guests in its lifetime. Indeed, I must say this hotel is a gem in this part of Shenzhen, which usually does not boast good, five-star outfits except perhaps further away in the newer part of Luohu. What this hotel truly excels in is its dedication to service, and well-trained staff who at least on the surface show the enthusiasm to serve.

The problems are the fact many amenities such as the swimming pool, the common lobby toilets and the design of the room are trapped in the 1980s. Walk into a superior room and you will see it lacks a good view (except over the train station, which I find less than pleasant), a separate shower stall, modern luxuries such as a rain-shower function in the shower and a huge, LCD TV and of course the size of the room itself. But what this hotel lacks or is in dearth, it makes up with a very convenient location (next to the train station, many convenience stalls and cheap eating places), renovated facilities and lobby and above all, truly good service with a smile.

The concierge helping me with the sending of a parcel, and my very heavy luggage are to be praised for sure. Even the housekeeping is very competent and fast to satisfy small, additional demands for extra towels and a shoe horn. The hotel is showing its age for sure (just look at the carpet and furniture in the room) but it's not unacceptably drabby and cleanliness is not a problem at all.

I think if the management of Shangri La decides to overhaul the look and design of this hotel, including each and every room, it can still have many good years ahead. In fact, for those who need to be near the Luohu border point and hop onto Hong Kong very so often, I recommend this hotel as a good spot to base yourself in. Hopefully, the next time I am back, I see a much improved look not only to the lobby but also to the restaurants, the other levels and definitely the rooms themselves.

Some lapses in service did occur, the worst in the form of placing a welcome card and gift for another guest who has obviously not checked in but allocated to that room. There was a golf game organised by a major Singapore bank, and I was sure one of their staff was supposed to have stayed in my room. In the end, I was allocated this room, but I dare not touch the gift meant for that guest and simply quietly kept it aside. I think this is quite stupid, and not to say dangerous if I was issued the card to an already occupied room?

Such an instance would truly make me embarrassed, so I was especially easy on using the facilities while speaking my broken Malay. I got my supplies of sundries and snacks from the convenience stall round the corner (literally) which is truly convenient. All in all, a good outfit despite the its age, and as long as Shangri La is able to deliver yet another day of meaningful work, I think many guests would continue to return when next in Shenzhen.

Room Tip: A view over the hills of Hong Kong makes it charming but beware construction is next to the hotel so...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
George B, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Sal the Fat Fish,

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Shenzhen and sharing your experiences with us. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with our hospitality.

We have also taken into consideration the feedback you raised on our amenities, Shangri-La values customer feedback such as yours. We would like to apologies for the poor experiences regarding your room, we would like to thank you in advance by providing more details via e-mail at slz@shangri-la.com so we can investigate, and follow up with the appropriate team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We organised a business meeting at Shangri-La Luohu and we had a very good experience. Staff was great and professional (good English spoken) - they helped us organise the meeting seamlessly from France. The food and the AV services were very good as well. I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
George B, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Mara M,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, as your choice in Shenzhen. We are grateful for your positive feedback with regards to the service, especially our signature events service.

We truly appreciate that you recommend us, and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again soon.