“Excellent as always!”

Ranked #18 of 2,791 Hotels in Shenzhen
Calgary
“Excellent as always!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Shangrila Shenzhen at Luo wu at least 10 time sin the last 5 years and the quality of service has always been excellent. Most recently we stayed in an executive suite of 620 square feet on the 25th floor. The hotel is older, but the staff are what really make this hotel my home away form home in Shezhen. The amenities tend to be a it older and rooms are not as modern as the newest shangrila hotels but the seamless guest epxerience from the bell men opening the door for you every time and a nod and a "Ni hao" as you come in all the way to the buffet staff who eagerly serve you with a smile every time and take away your plates and fold and replace your napkin without being asked make this a hotel where 5 star service doesnt mean stuffy butlers and overly attentive stuffy staff but rather an effortless experience where everything is just taken care of. The rooms are well stocked and club rooms come with added amenities such as a pillow menu (great pillow selection), breakfast at the buffet (one of te best breakfast buffets I have been to) and of course access to the lounge while not offering the greatest selection, tends to be quiet and has a welcoming staff ready to attend to any arrangements you may need with a reasonable level of knowledge of local area restaurants and attraction / amenities. As I mentioned before the staff are what make this hotel a true 5 star hotel, they have a "can do" attitude and if they don't have an answer or solution, will ensure that they find one. As an example, my wife had a fair amount of laundry we had accumulated and did not wish to spend the estimated $200 to put it through he shangri la laundry and so I enuired downstairs at the front desk on my way out, not 15 minutes later, they had a local person from a laundry down the street come by to pick all our laundry and had it ready and delivered back to our room the next morning by 9am all for $5 USD no hassle, not question, they just found a way to do it and got it done.

The hotel itself is also conveniently located across from Luo wu commercial center making it an ideal home base to relax after a day of shopping. Queen spa is just a short taxi ride away (Not more that $3 usd) and the doormen are always happy to translate to make sure the taxi driver knows where to go. Even if you come back at 3am the doormen are always ready to greet you and welcome you home.

Room Tip: Get a club room, its worth the extra money. The included breakfast is amazing on the 2nd floor. Try...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rfung2328
philipdewar, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear rfung2328,

Thank you for sharing your enjoyable experience and memorable moments at our hotel. I am very proud of my colleagues and their great services and I am sure they are all delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.

Meanwhile, we are honored to be your “home” in Shenzhen and trust we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

Kind regards,
Philip Dewar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My stay at the hotel was very pleasant and enjoyable. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The most enjoyable part of my stay were the friendly staff at the hotel. Out of the different staff members that I had met, I must reserve special praise for Sandy Luo. She was attentive, pleasant and very professional. I would recommend the hotel to everyone and will definitely return the next time I visit.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
philipdewar, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear LittleSF,

Thank you very much for such high praise of our service and room. We are proud of our heartfelt hospitality through our colleagues such as Sandy and we look forward to exceeding your expectations during your next stay with us.

Best regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel, but after staying at the Kerry in Shanghai, which is also a Shangri La hotel, I expected a little more. The hotel is pleasant enough, with a small club lounge and a few options for dining and drinking. The service, as always seems to be the way in China, was excellent.
My club room was quite dated though and needs refreshing, it had one of my pet hates, a shower over the bath. The location is good for access to the border crossing to HK and train terminals. I will be happy to stay here again, but I think i would look for a better room

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear swagman6111,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La hotels as your choice in Shenzhen and Shanghai. We are grateful for your feedback with regards to our service and location.

We note your comments on the room and will take them well into consideration with our refurbishment planning. We have also noted your preference for a separate shower and will be happy to review our room categories that have this facility with you for your next booking.

Warmest regards,
H
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Shangri-La Shenzhen is a very enjoyable hotel if you want to be near Lowu Shopping District. It is my third stay at the Shangri-La and I still very much appreciate this hotel. The reception staff is very friendly. The chinese restaurant dim-sum lunch is EXCELLENT and also has reasonable prices. The rooms are nice and clean. The only problem is the phone operator. I called the operator to make a reservation for the restaurant. They first of all tell me ''You want to book a room ?'' ( I was in my room ). I said ''no I want to book for the restaurant Sunday''.They then told me: '' No, today is Friday it's not Sunday'' . I said again: ''I want to book to eat food'' . They said: ''Ok, I but sunday belongs to holiday so you can not make booking" I said ok, I asked the opening time of the restaurant. They told me : ''Open at 9AM''. I said: ''What time is it closing ?''. The phone operator said: ''11 AM''. Pissed off, I asked to be transfered to the reception where someone understanding me could answer to my questions.
Apart from it's phone operator, I really enjoy this hotel for it's friendly staff, comfort and good food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
philipdewar, General Manager at Shangri-la Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Georges L,

Thank you for staying with us at Shangri-La Hotel, Shenzhen and for the kind comments with regards to our reception staff, Chinese Restaurant Shang Palace and location.

I do apologise for the inconvenience with our operator and assure you I will be personally looking into urgent improvement in this area based on your feedback.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back on your next trip to Shenzhen.

Warmest regards,
Verbania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

...Shangri-La are better. In any case the hotel is good, the staff is friendly and welcoming, the service is good and the 360 restaurant has good food. Overall the quality/price ratio is pretty good.

I'm frequently staying at this hotel during my business trip and the location for business is good but I wouldn't say the same if your are staying here for holiday (but I doubt that someone would choose Shenzen to stay overnight on holiday).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Eastern Norway, Norway
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just outside the railway station across the squares you find a nice hotel with high standard. This hotel offers very nice rooms with good space, several restaurants of high quality and a breakfast buffet with western and Chinese specialities. Service is very good and personnel are helpful and smiling. Price level in general, both rooms and eating and drinking is really at western european level. I paid 45 rmb for a cup of coffee in the lobby bar. I really felt I was back in Norway again. I will most likely be back (in spite of price level) mainly because of quality and location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is our 2nd at time at this Hotel. Good size rooms. Nice amenities. Club breakfast a bit lacking but staff helpful. Overall a pleasant stay. Good location close to Lohu and the border to Hong Kong, also close to the Subway. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple