See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 9, 2006

I might stay here the next time I am in Shekou, but I won't look forward to it. This is a very mediocre hotel, but probably one of the best alternatives in this seaside town.

The Pros:

1. The main selling point for me was the 50 yard stroll to the Shekou ferry terminal, which can take you to Macau, Hong Kong, or the Hong Kong airport.

2. It is about a 200 yard walk to the Seaworld area. This is a very touristy waterfront area with lots of bars and restaurants. Sort of fun but in a very fake way and nothing "Chinese" about it.

3. They have a package deal that is pretty darn good. For $820 RMB a night, you can both breakfast and dinner buffet (pretty good), broadband internet access, and inclusive of all taxes.

The Cons:

1. The ferries run out of the Shekou terminal are small, old, and very dirty. The ride to Macau was so rough and choppy that 5 to 10 people vomited on the boat. Now I know where all those disgusting stains on the seats came from. I would never ride this ferry again and that ruined the Nan Hai's #1 selling point for me.

2. There was quite a bit of construction going on while I was there. Unfortunately, the room I got was near construction and all I heard was a jackhammer for hours. I asked to be moved and was told it would cost more money to do so. Only after pitching a pretty good fit was I moved to a quiet room. Not what I'd call good service.

3.The beds were rock hard. I mean REALLY hard. That is true, however, of much of China. Get used to it unless you're staying a top-tier hotels.

4. It is a 30 foot stroll to the red light district of Shekou. The prostitutes do stay in their building and do not come out to pester the passerbys so it isn't much of a practical problem. Just an eyesore.

The real challenge is that if you're going to stay in Shekou, the Nan Hai ---- despite its shortcomings ---- is probably your best bet. That's not much of an endorsement.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MontanaBusinessMan
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I spent 2 nights there using package deal found on their web site.
Great deal.

Pros : Friendly staff with good knowledge of English.

Cons : Pick up at Lowu station missed us. But after calling up the hotel, they gladly paid for my taxi fare from Lowu to hotel.

There is a rare Japanese soba (buckwheat) noodle shop in the hotel. I think its the only soba noodle shop in China. Should try it.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank 9-Dragons
Reviewed October 30, 2006

stayed here on several nights during my resent visit to China. The hotel rooms are dated and in need of a makeover. Bathroom was a lovely mint green complete with cracked tiles. The area that the hotel sits in is close to the ferry terminal but is also very dark and near a row of doggie bars. The icing on the cake was when i travelled on for a few days before returning to the Nan Hai for one final night before heading into HK upon arriving at 8pm the desk told me that my room had been cancelled ( even thou I had booked with CC and had confirmation) it took apart 40minutes fighting with the manager to get my room back and he insisted on seeing my email confirmation. NOT what I expect from a so called 5* and no what you need after a hard day traveling . Would recommend you look else where when staying in the area , I know I will next time i am out ! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2006

I booked a night in an Executive Floor room for two people as we were taking the ferry to Hong Kong airport the next day and I wanted a lazy evening and morning before travelling. I didn't find the Executive Floor room extras to be worth the extra cost and the bed (the most important part of a hotel, in my opinion) was awful. I guess a standard room would be better value - but you do need to like hard mattresses.

Pros:
- Very pleasant pool, although you have to change in their changing rooms rather than walking down in a robe from your room.
- Very convenient (2 min) walk to ferry terminal.
- Restaurant food and breakfast of good quality.
- Hotel car pick-up from airport was excellent, with a good, calm driver (a real plus in China).

Cons:
- Very hard mattresses, to the extent that I had to get up and stretch out my back twice during the night.
- Overcomplicated check-in for Executive Floor. I wasn't allowed to use the empty lobby check-in but had to go up to the top floor, wait in a queue there, check-in and then go to my room.
- Awful executive lounge. Less of a lounge and more of three hotel rooms joined together with the beds taken out. No atmosphere. When we asked what drinks were available in the "cocktail hour" we got a choice of beer or juice.
- Rooms have wooden floors that look nice but have been cheaply fitted meaning you get to hear your neighbours walking around and making noise.
- No segregated no-smoking section at breakfast.
- I had to haggle to get the appropriate Executive Floor discounts for services applied to the bill.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Spent 10 days at the Nan Hai.

Rooms are spacious, well-kept, good service. Meals are excellent. Pool is fine.
Small workout center. Tennis courts. Nice foot path. Excellent front desk support.
Within walking distance to the ferry to/from Hong Kong. Very close to Commercial District in Shekou. More information and photos at (---)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business