“Unexpected good quality” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shang Palace Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen

Shang Palace Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #24 of 4,105 Restaurants in Shenzhen
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Luohu Port
Description: The food is mainly Cantonese cuisine with elements of Huaiyang cold dishes and the subtle influence of Sichuan and Chiu Chow cuisine. The menu highlights Shang Palace’s signature delicacies, which include Crispy Pork Flamed with Chinese Rose Wine, and Sliced Roasted Duck with Mango and Cucumber wrapped in Pancake.Shang Palace features eight private dining rooms and one semi-private room. The semi-private circular room is located in the middle of the entrance hall and two private rooms are nearby. The remaining six private rooms are at the rear of the restaurant and are complete with their own washroom, portable LCD and other facilities such as minibar, wardrobe, sofa seating and karaoke system.
Montreal, Canada
“Unexpected good quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I were on a day trip to Shenzhen from Guangzhou and came out of the train station looking for a place to eat for lunch. After 5 months of mediocre eating in Guangzhou we decided on Shang Palace for the dim sum and were pleasantly surprised. Although we were not staying at the hotel, a very friendly hotel employee named Apple helped us find a map of Shenzhen and then helped with us select from the menu. The steamed bbq pork buns, shrimp rolls, shrimp dumplings, congi, fried yams, crispy pork squares, bean curd with brown sugar, sponge cake and fried coconut rolls all were very tasty and went well with our jasmine tea. The service was polite and efficient and as a result we had a very enjoyable meal. As always for any traveller finding someone who offers you excellent service helps make your experience a positive one and we thank Apple for her assistance.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shenzhen
“nothing great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

as shang palace is the chin of restaurants in shangri-la all over the world in different cities..i have visited shang palace in Dubai,Hongkong,London...
and i did not expect the stander of shang palace to go so low in shenzhen...
the quality of food is very bad and surely deceving if you have been to other branches of the same...
being a 5 star chain of hotels..shangrila surely disappoints with this ..
the staff cant even speak or understand one word in english..so clearly a tourist customer is not welcomed and entertained here
not a good experience

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
philipdewar, General Manager at Shang Palace Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Ms Jaya V,

Thank you for posting your review with us on your recent dining experience in Shang Palace. We are most concerned that you felt there were shortcomings on the food quality and standard of English.

We take the utmost pride in both our food and service. To this end, I would very much appreciate your contacting me directly at slz@shangri-la.com so that I can understand the specific issues and take the appropriate action.

Best regards,
Philip Dewar
Perth, Australia
“New Year Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I am conscious that my review may not be an accurate reflection of the quality of this restaurant as we had dinner on New Years Day.

The restaurant was largely empty at 615pm with only about 4 or 5 tables occupied. The carpet at our table had food scrapes on it. The food was average although staff members were attentive. The decor was beautiful and overall it was an enjoyable meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Carlsbad, California
“Unbeleveable experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

On our last night in Hong Kong, having eaten great food at absurdly cheap prices, we decided to "splurge". We took a walk from our hotel to the fabulous Shangri-La Hotel, right on the Harbor, and went to the Shang Palace, within the hotel We were seated without a reservation (!) immediately.

There is no "bad table" at the Shang, and it is an awesomely beautiful place, with authentic Chinese artwork. Although somewhat large, the acoustics are top-notch, and we could whisper to each other easily. The drinks were to die for, and the food was some of the best we have ever eaten in our entire lives!

First, we were given a free appetizer as a "welcome" which was excellent. Then, the multi=course extravaganza began with unbelieveable appetizers of pork roast with the most amazing crispy skin, which seemed to actually "hover above" the meat and not actually touch it. I was in food heaven already. Probably best pork dish ever. Then there were delectible soups, After that the main course, where the roast goose was beyond words. All the side dishes could send you to nirvana on their own. The desserts looked great but we were getting full. Not to worry, though, since they brought us a complimentary dessert of small pastries.

The waitstaff made us feel like were we the Emperor and Empress. Our "main" waiter explained every dish and answered any questions we had. There were about 3 or 4 people serving us, and they were all exceptionally friendly and cordial, without any haughtiness at all.

Finally, the price was not "right", it was "dirt cheap" for what we got. We paid about $ 65 for all of this, and I defy anyone to find any comparable place in the States for under $ 300!!!

I almost feel guilty giving this review, as I do not want the place to get so overwhelmed it can not longer provide such a great dining experience. But, really, just thinking about it now, 6 weeks later, I can still remember the tastes and am actually salivating just thinking about it!!!!

Visited November 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Appreciation for the crew and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Shang Palace at both Shenzhen Shangri-la Hotel and Kowloon Shangri-la Hotel are my favourite restaurants.
Now, I would like to express my appreciation to the services provided by the crew members at The Shang Palace, Shenzhen Shangri-la Hotel. On the last Sunday (4/11), I took the lunch with my family members. The food qualities and presentation were excellent. There were so many items of Tim Shum and snacks. We enjoyed the food very much. The waiters and waitress were working very hard and efficiency even though the restaurant was 90% full of guests. All Tim Shum were still very hot when they were taken from the kitchen. To my surprised was that it happened not only to my table, but also to every table. It means that the team are well trained and they are working very co-operative and smooth. Their Assistant Manager, Ms Janet Xu and Ms Sara Xu displayed their professional skill not only in arrangement of manpower, but also asked the advice from the guest at the spot. Furthermore, Ms Connie Wang, the supervisor, gave all guests warm and sincere hospitalities.
In short, I will try to visit this restaurant again with two times in a month even though we are living at Hong Kong.

Visited November 2012