“Not Much to Complain About”

The St. Regis Shenzhen
Ranked #5 of 2,812 Hotels in Shenzhen
Santa Clara, California
“Not Much to Complain About”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I regular stay at this hotel for work - usually 6-9 times per year. It's at the top of Shenzhen's tallest building (at least as of today), so you get great views of the surrounding area from every single room. I'll be honest - service in China isn't exactly world-class, but the St. Regis staff is pretty good. Well trained, polite, and helpful. The rooms are clean, contemporary, and big enough for most people. As an SPG Platinum member, I've been upgraded at the St. Regis, but I've also stayed in their standard room and it's perfectly fine. The breakfast spread at Social is excellent, if not one of the best that I've seen in China. Next door is the KK mall, for shopping and restaurants (Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese). There's a Starbucks on the ground floor which is convenient. And the hotel is in Luohu, which has a lot of nightlife if you're into that sort of thing.

There are a couple of things that are annoying. Because it's at the top of a skyscraper, it's a bit of a hassle to get to your room. First you have to go up to the 96th floor, get off, go to another elevator bank, and then take it DOWN to your room. Sometimes, just getting outside may take 10 min. Also, because the views are amazing, you're always dealing with locals/tourists who want to go up the elevators with you, making it feel crowded all the time. The staff though, do their best maintain some type of order.

All in all, like I said, hard to complain too much about the hotel. I will be coming here regularly in the foreseeable future.

Room Tip: Every room has amazing views, so hard to go wrong.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy C
Stella H, ExecutiveOfficeSTR at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. And we tried our best to ensure the hotel's guests are provided with the renowned St. Regis experience.
However, we do apologize for the inconvenience in the elevator.We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Pros:

The building is new with beautiful views over Shenzhen
The staff we interacted with spoke good English (with the exception of the salon)
Spa lighting and music in the bathroom

Cons:

Expensive
Technology in the room didn't function - the ipad system was down and the telephone was barely operational. Hugely frustrating
No SPG membership recognition, not even providing free wifi. Why bother to be loyal when it doesn't come with benefits
Salon is ill equipped to deal with guests who do not speak Mandarin and no price list is available to browse
When asked if the spa had any promotions, we were told no, however discovered an advertisment lying face down in the room which advertised a two for one massage at the spa which was a current promotion
Breakfast wasn't included in the roomrate despite it being an expensive rate
Pot plant in the room sitting thick with dust.
Stingy with the bathroom amenities
Taxi drivers have no clue where the St Regis is. Would be ideal if the confirmation of staying at the hotel came with the name and address in Chinese
No assistance with bags on arrival
Thought the blackout curtains are excellent, the lightswitches in the room continue to shine so intrusively they are disturbing for sleep

Overall, this was poor value for money, the hotel seem to want to charge extra for every little thing. You also know a bad hotel when responses to low Tripadvisor reviews aren't met with any substantive effort to appease the reviewer and just try to fob them off with comments such as notifying the relevant departments and hope to welcome you back soon. That ain't gonna cut it when the Shenzhen luxury hotel scene has more customer focused offerings available. I'm disappointed I chose this hotel based purely on my loyalty to SPG.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MsHellfire
Stella H, ExecutiveOfficeSTR at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologise that the Ipad control system is temporarily unavailable for guest’s usage. The Hotel is currently upgrading our control panel system, which will be equipped with faster and more efficient security device. The Hotel’s salon is managed and operated by a different operator, thus, their associates may not be able to converse in English. In the meantime, our associates have been reminded again on the current promotion of our Spa. Your comments are valuable to us and we will continue to share with our associates to ensure we continue to enhance our associate engagement and guest loyalty.
Thank you for your kind feedback and we are committed to providing our guests with memorable experience.
Essen, Germany
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Amazing hardware, fantastic hospitality, I like the 'let's make it happen' attitude at the concierge desk and the discrete service provided by the butlers. Fine tea service in the spectacular setting of the drawing room, later enjoying 'that moment' with great cigar and my favorite single malt in the library... life is beautiful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Stella H, ExecutiveOfficeSTR at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us and your compliment is very much appreciated. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services.We look forward to welcoming back in near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed in this hotel a few times in the last couple year. Stayed there two nights again last week. It seems like the service problem at the beginning is gone. I still remember at the beginning the service was a joke. The manner of a waitress at the 95/F floor coffee shop was worse than a hawker on the street. She yelled at me when I was taking a photo in the coffee shop since photo taking is not allowed. I also heard poor comment from my colleagues on different issues.

Anyway, everything is fine now, at least for the recent stay. The room is beautiful, as it always is. The view is spectacular and stunning. The service is fine.

As mentioned in the title, the breakfast buffet is a must try. The food choice and quality is luxury, but what make it a must try is the view. It is hard to match to enjoy breakfast on the 95/F. I love to take a table by the window facing the Hong Kong country side rather than the urban view of Shenzhen. If it is a sunny day, just a sip of tea, a piece of toast, with the view is already a fantastic start for the day. No matter how tight your schedule is, I recommend you reserve at least an hour for the breakfast.

By the way, originally there is an ipad in every room to control all the lighting, curtain and music. The system is down now and I am told that it will take a few more weeks to fix it. There is no real impact as we could use the switch on the wall. But it is playful so I hope they could fix it soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Stella H, ExecutiveOfficeSTR at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words and we are very proud to have made your stay a pleasant one. At The St. Regis Shenzhen, every effort will be made to provide you with bespoke and uncompromising services. We sincerely look forward to welcoming your next visit in near future.
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Pros,
75-100 floors up
Lots of Western staff
iPad in the rooms to control everything
BUTLER
Six star hardware
Amazing bathtub with TV
Room prices
Great food

Cons,
Food prices
Area around the hotel is not great
Futuristic dark heavy design
Hotel is missing love

Stay here for the experience, but if you need to stay longer than two weeks, stay elsewhere. The ambiance gets on my nerves after a few days. It is just too dark.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Stella H, Executive Office at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback and your compliments on The St. Regis’s facilities and services. The Hotel will continue to ensure that we provide bespoke hospitality experiences, and continue to enhance our associate engagement with guests to build better emotional connection. We look forward to welcoming back in near future.
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have been here for the past 4 years and notice the hotel condition in the room are not kept clean, buttons are also lose and toilet sit also not fix probably. Room and Coffee pot are also dirty. I think Sheraton management in "St. Regis" not doing there job.

Nice location, but not good at maintaining the St. Regis name and quality.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stella H, Executive Office at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear guest,
we sincerely apologize for the lack of attention to details in regards to room cleanliness and defects. Rest assured that this matter has been looked into immediately with department concerns to ensure that continuous efforts are put into maintaining our products and services. Our relevant Department Heads have taken immediate actions to rectify the listed defects in the room and rest assured such incident will not take place again in future. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Guam, USA
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel. I loved the decor and the bar served great cocktails. The room amenities were also unique and very enjoyable. Great location next to a nice mall with lots of international stores. Convenient Starbucks at the ground level lobby of the hotel.

I was not impressed with the person who checked me in. I realize it was the night shift and that her role was primarily to audit, but it wasn't the professional type of welcome I feel that I should have received from a St. Regis hotel, particularly when paying $450 a night for a premium room.

My SPG gold status was not recognized, in fact the agent asked if I was an SPG member when my number and status were clearly indicated in the system. Furthermore I had to ask for the 4 pm late check-out, it was not offered.

The agent tried to explain all the benefits included with the Fortune Room but the explanation was confusing. I could not understand if the complimentary lunch or dinner benefit was daily or if it was a one time offer during my stay. There was a language barrier and all of the information was being provided very quickly along with the names of the restaurants where the benefits could be availed and what floor they were located on. To clarify things I asked for a printed list of benefits but the agent said that none was available. She offered to write them up by hand but it was late so I told her not to bother. This sort of printed material should be readily available to ensure benefits are clear. I would have also appreciated a list of services that I could have requested from the Butler. St. Regis heavily promotes its Butler service but what the Butler can actually do is not very clear. I normally stay at Ritz-Carlton hotels and while they do not have Butlers, their staff perform all the same services that I understood obtain at the St. Regis. In case you book a Fortune Room, note that it includes complimentary breakfast, one free lunch or dinner buffet per day, and a complimentary cocktail hour.

Arrival transportation service from Hong Kong airport was horrible. It was late in the evening, I was tired, and the driver was no where to be found even though I followed the concierge's e-mail instructions very carefully and looked for the driver several times.

The Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental and Shangri-La representatives were all visible at the exit of the B arrival hall but the St. Regis representative was no where to be found. It turns out that the hotel does not have a representative, instead they send a driver (who does not speak English), with a crumpled piece of paper bearing the hotel logo. This does not make sense when sister Starwood properties in Hong Kong have a transportation desk and could easily have a legitimate Starwood employee be present with a proper sign, rather than using a contracted driver who does not have proper training in customer service. I wasted 30 minutes trying to find the driver.

I asked the W/Sheraton Hong Kong transportation desk for help and their staff were very cold and unfriendly. They made me feel like they were doing me a favor by trying to call the driver because they had nothing to do with St. Regis. While I recognize that they do not represent St. Regis, you would think that they would have the Starwood spirit in their blood. Obviously not. When they finally tracked down the driver he did not even bother to greet me or apologize. While I recognize he could not speak a word of English, "hello" and a smile should not have been that difficult to manage. Based on his body language, he seemed annoyed that I had complained but who knows because we could not communicate.

First impressions are extremely important and my St. Regis experience started off on a very bad note because of this arrival experience. The concierge offered 10% off the transportation service but I do not feel that it adequately addressed the poor service, considering the cost of transportation was approximately $355. I feel like I should have been compensated with SPG points and offered an upgrade at the very least. A 10% discount does not adequately address the frustration, irritation, and wasted time that I had to deal with especially since my company covers the cost of my transportation. I arranged my own transportation going back to the airport using an outside company and the service was far superior and it only cost half the price. I intend to use the same external service from now on rather than book transportation through the hotel.

Aside from the poor arrival experience, the rest of my stay was very enjoyable. I would stay at the St. Regis Shenzhen again in the future and the daytime staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Benefits that come with the Fortune Room are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Zerk
Stella H, Public Relations Manager at The St. Regis Shenzhen, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Please note that the Hotel is deeply concern with the not so positive experience on your arrival. We will ensure continuous training provided to our associates so that they could establish better engagement with guests. Please note that your comments have been updated to our Hotel’s profile system.

We are glad to know that you will return to St Regis Shenzhen on your next trip, and we look forward to providing you with the bespoke hospitality experience. The Hotel management team will get in touch with you directly on how we can make your next stay experience a memorable one.