“Great location, above average food”
Review of The Kitchen Coco Park - CLOSED

The Kitchen Coco Park
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Civic Center
Description: 2014 That's PRD Shenzhen "Restaurant of the Year" The first independent international fine dining restaurant in Futian; the heart of Shenzhen's CBD. The Kitchen opened in 2009 and provides an exciting mix of international dishes in a cosy and sophisticated, fine dining restaurant environment in the heart of the new CoCo Shopping Park entertainment district in Futian Central Business District. Close by Shangri-la, Marco Polo, Sheraton, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton hotels. Our bistro style menu features many famous offerings from around the world including French, Italian, and Tex-Mex dishes made with imported meat, bathed in our wonderful mix of sauces with accompanying fresh vegetables. Also on offer are succulent steaks and burgers using prime Australian Angus beef plus a great value brunch; and with our open view kitchen you can watch our Executive Chef Justus Jennings and his award winning team of chefs in action.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Came down to Shenzhen for few days, coco park area is great for going out with friends. We had dinner at the kitchen, the food is not great but above average, nothing special but good to have before going out !

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a little slice of heaven when you are traveling so far from home. The Dover Sole was some of the best fish I have ever eaten. BUT the BEST thing was the shrimp and mango salad - it is an absolute MUST! so incredibly fresh you just cannot stop eating it!! I will actually crave this when I get home!

TheKitchen, Owner at The Kitchen Coco Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for your great review Catwoman - we are glad you found the prawn & mango salad purrrfect!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

China has great Chinese food. China does not have great Western food as a rule just like the USA does not have great authentic Chinese food as a rule.

The Kitchen is owned and run by a San Franciscan and he does a great job. We go there about once a month when we don't feel like cooking American food in our apartment. So far, we have been pleased. The burgers and wraps are great. His pasta dishes and fish and chips are really good too. We generally go for lunch and an early dinner since the area around it is a big bar scene and that's just not our scene.

The Kitchen is hidden back behind the bus terminal at Coco Park and so you will have to look for it, bit it is worth finding. The owner has opened a new Kitchen north of the city and it seems to be doing well as well.

In the end we have two standards for judging an Western restaurant in China: 1) Is is superior for China? The answer here is an absolute yes. 2) Would the place make it in the Baton Rouge to New Orleans belt? The answer here is probably, which means (to us anyway) it is worth our time and money to go and enjoy having someone else cook for a change.

Thank you for your kind words - it has always been our goal to be considered good enough to be located in renowned restaurant areas such as Baton Rouge and not just be considered good because there is not much other western food around.

We value your opinions and patronage - see you again soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was brought here after a business meeting - and warned that it might be a bit noisy as its in an area full of nightclubs. And yes, it did get a bit noisy but not too bad.

The food was western (which can be very hit and miss in Shenzhen), and was very good. There's a reasonable selection of decent wine as well - including one of my favourites - a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (but I can't remember which it was now).

Service was pretty good - not too much waiting. But a word or warning: the place is small, so I can imagine it filling and becoming crowded very easily. All in all - a pleasant evening and meal.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

A couple a months ago I visited with a Brittish friend. My friend had the veal, which looked wonderful. I had a pan fried sole, which I am almost 100% sure was not actually sole. I would hate to wrongfully accuse the chef of selling pangasius or alaska coalfish as sole, but the fish I was served was thicker than sole, didn`t have the nice grated structure, didn`t have the row of fine bones on the outside, and the consistency was rather mushy, whereas real sole should have a nice firm consistency. It also wasn`t served with molten butter and lemon as it should have been. It didn`t quite ruin my night since they luckily had a nice beer selection to help me forget the fiasco. The chef seems like a very nice guy, not the type to willfully cheat his customers out of a couple of kuai, so my guess is they should`ve double checked their supplier.

1  Thank B0B_3000