“AWESOME!”

Ranked #5 of 493 things to do in Shenzhen
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most popular and enjoyable daytrips from Shenzhen, this village is almost entirely dedicated to painting. Get a self-portrait done or request a freshly-painted Van Gogh or Rembrandt.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Dafen is a really spectacular place to see artists in their setting and doing their thing. You can get custom paintings made so bring a really good print out of what you might want and give it to one of the artists to make for you. And as always, feel free to negotiate. It is a really great place to sightsee and just see the amazing skill of the people there as well as to buy some gifts for family or friends back home. I'd recommend getting a cheap hotel and staying a day and a half to take in the whole area.

There are newer reviews for Dafen Oil Painting Village

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Many shops and artists selling their work.
Can take a picture to get painted on canvas. Lots of variety, skill and quality, add-on's welcomed!
I bought some nice paintings that they delivered to me the next day!
Many can speak english

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have a picture of an artist, holding a small photo of a picture by Munch in his left hand, a paint brush in his right hand and a large version of the tiny picture on a canvas in front of him. His studio (and dozens of others) was simply the wall of a narrow alley. Children sitting at lap tops quietly engage themselves while the adult next to them works with intense attention.

I found the alleys more engaging than the galleries. I purchased a large, 38" by 38", original, at least I think it is original, that I fell in love with for $100. When I got back home the frame cost me $230. Anything I have seen in the states that resembles it costs over $1500. It hangs in my living room and is fantastic.

If I am ever in Shenzhen again I'll spend another half day there too. The art gallery coffee shop in the center of the village is neat too.

3  Thank gniston197
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I googled and saw this topic and register, I am impressed by the hard work of the artists where I was there !

1  Thank Candra J
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was amazed about the painting level of the people there, they also can copy anything you like.must visit to see.