“Something for everyone”

Ranked #3 of 93 Coffee & Tea in Shenzhen
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Buffet
Neighborhood: Luohu Port
Description: Coffee Garden is a casual all-day dining restaurant that features a variety of display kitchens. Here you will find Asian flavours alongside Western fare.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Coffee Garden is the Shangri-La's default cafeteria, the place to go when you don't want to eat in one of their themed or branded restaurants. Even so, it is a place of remarkable quality, diversity and service. And I can say that having eaten there more than 100 times in late 2012 and early 2013 while working on a project in Shenzhen. At each end of the large airy modern dinning room is a cooking area, one Chinese and one Western. Both are staffed by multiple chefs who create 8-12 different options ready for you to take or cook to your order. The breakfast buffet is not cheap at about $30, but well worth it offering many Chinese specialties, congee, noodles dumplings, etc, while the Western end has all the varieties of eggs, sausage, ham, (real doughnuts!) etc. you could desire, plus Japanese specialities. The dinner buffet is even more splendiferous, with fresh fish cooked to order, exotic specialties, like double boiled pigeon soup, raw or cooked shellfish that may be new to you, and a non-Chinese end that includes sushi, tempura, italian salads, 5 or 6 entrees or lamb or steak cooked to order. As much beer or wine as you want is there for you to serve yourself. I'll stop here, but know that in 100 meals I never got tired of it, and still miss it. Again, the dinner buffet is expensive at about $50, but worth every penny for the incredble variety, and the service. You can eat for less there if you eat a la carte, but you'll miss the explosion of choices. Every night I'd have 2 or 3 plates with a little bit of everything I wanted to try. On top of that the staff is unfailingly wonderful and very capable in English too. They take RESPONSIBILITY: One day one of the cooks saw me looking for something and asked about it. When I said I was looking for a small spoon for the yogurt, he called on his phone to the maitre d' to get me one. The waitress Michelle taught me how to write "snowman" in Mandarin characters. The waitress Mary helped me shop for shoes for my daughter. You will love these people and love this place.

1  Thank jmihalec
philipdewar, General Manager at Coffee Garden Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear jmihalec,

Thank you very much for your high praise of our Coffee Garden and the great service there. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us, while Mary and Michelle look forward to seeing you again and teaching you more Mandarin!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and trust all is well back in the US with your family.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant with Chinese and Western Style . I found various option in Chinese but less choices in Western favor .
Guest room : comparative old but keeps in tidy and cleanlinness
In-house Wifi connection were installed all over corner within all public and room area . Very strong signal and easy connected as well !
One complaint : Once entered Lobby , very strong and irritable Aromatic smell . Management team should be noticed !

philipdewar, General Manager at Coffee Garden Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Mr TerenceLung,

Thank you very much for being our guest and for sharing your experience.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and dining experience at our hotel, though note your feedback on the western selection.

I also note that you felt our "Essence of Shangri-la" aroma was too strong and will be looking into this accordingly.

I trust we will be able to welcome you again on your next trip to Shenzhen.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The coffee Garden being in 5 star hotel is to my surprise does not do justice at all..
it only caters to local customers which is really a put off...
as the tourists and foreigners are not really left with much choice in terms of food...
would never go back
staff is very unfriendly and not flexible at all...
in short...DISAPPOINTING

philipdewar, General Manager at Coffee Garden Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Ms Jaya V,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Our Coffee Garden is a casual all-day dining restaurant that features both Asian and International flavours. I am most concerned that you felt there were shortcomings.

In order to ensure we fully understand the nature of you comments, I would very much appreciate you contacting us at slz@shangri-la.com so that we can then follow up accordingly.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The buffet style food was amazing, the choices are greater than you could imagine and the staff are amazingly friendly.

Breakfast was brilliant as well!!

Highly recommended!!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We travelled from HK to Shenzhen for shopping & decided to have a break for lunch at the Shangri-la. We were staying at Kowloon Shangri-la so were ecpecting similar standard. We were very disappointed with the buffet lunch, there is both international & asian buffets but neither had a great slection of food. What was there looked tired & dried out, condiments eg mustards etc had a thick dry skin on the top of them, the staff were indifferent & not very welcoming.
The lunch cost us AUD90, this did not represent good value for money at all, & would not recommend it to anyone.

Been to Coffee Garden Shangri-La Hotel Shenzhen? Share your experiences!