“pleasant day trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 486 things to do in Shenzhen
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hiking Wutong Mountain is one of Shenzhen citizens’ most popular activities (and offers trails for all experience levels). It’s a great way to get exercise and breathtaking vistas. On a clear day you can see Hong Kong.
Seattle
“pleasant day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

I started at dawang entry gate. Took about 4 hours to climb up the pathway and 2 hours back on wutongshan road that exits at the North Gate. While at the north gate the gate employee lead me to the Bus 211 location which was 500 meters on road straight out of the North Gate. Bus 211 took me to Lou Hu area. The guard was very friendly and actual tried to pay for my bus ticket. Speaking of friendly, a group of young people tied up with me on the way of my hiking . The mountain does have many stairs and some are dangerous. Please be careful. I hike to camp Muir at Rainer mountain last year. This hike up wutong was not as intense but was very enjoyable to see nature within the Shenzhen boarders.

Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go early!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Two of us started this hike at about 9 in the morning on a Saturday. The hike itself is pretty interesting with some great views (weather pending) when the trees clear out from overhead for a minute. We took the trail on the way up, which is mostly stone steps. It follows Taishan Brook for a while, which can be a fun diversion from the trail if you want to hop along the boulders for a bit before you're back on the stairmaster for the rest of the journey. Being one of the most popular mountains in Shenzhen, it does have a few drawbacks, including the huge masses of people (including many large groups) that are all fighting to get their way up the mountain; at some narrow points on the trail traffic can come to a standstill while waiting for everyone to file through. But these obstacles should be expected in a country as crowded as China. The alternate route up is a paved road, which we took down since our knees had had enough stairs for one day and as the thought of pushing through the ever-growing crowd to get back down via the trail wasn't that appealing. The road is much more gently sloping and it still offers a couple chances to step to the side and get views of where you've been.

There were small stands selling fruit and drinks at many places along the trail on the way up, as well as at the top of the mountain. There are also stands selling little trinkets and souvenirs (...and I complain about walking the ten minutes from the subway station to work). Views from the top are lovely, and even the smoggy weather that we chose ended up looking more majestic (a little more like mist than pollution) from the top.

In general, this is an enjoyable hike and I wouldn't be averse to doing it again, though I'd advise going as early as possible to avoid the crowds.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Erin T
Anchorage, Alaska
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Amazing view on the top.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I went to the hike with my classmates, it was my first time. And I was not prepared to hike for hours, did not bring a bottle of water either. We were all sweating, but we made it to the top. I would suggest you wear a pair very comfortable shoes, pack some bottled water, and bring a lunch with you. The view was amazing on the top of it.

4 Thank Rain Y
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Fun Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hiked this with some coworkers and found this to be a fun, challenging hike. They have a fruit stand a little more than halfway up which helps. Also on the walk down (if you go the other side of the mountain down) you can stop at some buddhist temples which makes it for a great day!

Visited November 2013
Shenzhen, China
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A nice little hike in Shenzhen - convenient!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have been up this mountain 3 times so far, last time was last Saturday. My advice is to go early to beat the heat and the crowds. I start hiking at 7am (or earlier) and take the gully trail. Nice stream with waterfalls and trees to shade the pathway going up. Be sure to like stairs!! Takes about 2 hours or so to go up. I advise NOT returning by path, put use the road. If you take the path down to return, you will be pushing your way through all the people going UP the hill. This is difficult on the narrow path. Not a problem on the road down. Road down takes about 2 hours since it is a bit longer. Great views from the top if it is clear! As always, don't bother bringing food or water - vendors are present every few paces...just bring RMB.

Visited April 2014