The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan
Agoda.com
$69
$67
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrange grilltheme parkshopping mallheavenly bedholiday plazaspg platinum memberhappy valleyhigh end mallexcellent roommy home away from homeroom facingtop floorrooftop barsubway stationvery nice hotelbusiness travelersplendid china
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Best thing about this hotel was the bed which was extremely comfortable and it was very quiet in the room. Great for catching up with some sleep after a long flight across the Pacific and a busy day after work. Includes the usual luxury amenities such as bathrobe and slippers.

Pros:
* Centrally located (this hotel is also adjacent to the Venice Hotel)
* Convenient located and with access to a large shopping mall and subway station
* Opposite the Window of the World attaction which appaently showcases smaller replicas of worldwide sites e.g. the Eiffel Tower etc. (we didn't go)
* Large room with many features including a wide range of lighting options ( for those who hate dimly lit rooms) and easy/efficient air conditioning
* Very confortable bed and quality duvet
* Large outdoor swimming pool and lounge area
* Excellent brakfast buffet with a large choice and good quality
* Polite and efficient check-in staff
* Always have someone (often two people) at the door greeting you

Cons:
Not much to say here except perhaps the dinner buffet is relatively expensive (around 250 Yuan) unless you are really hungry and make the most of it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear TN32, Thanks for choosing The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan on your leisure trip, and spent your valuable time to share the great experience with us. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay in our hotel and our heavenly products also gave you a great impression, especially the signature product - Heavenly Bed. We had shared your comments with our colleagues in Food & Beverage Department, Front Desk, Concierge and House Keeping Department; we are inspired that we exceeded your expectations. We will keep our service as usual and looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

My hubby and I stayed in Westin Nanshan for Easter weekend, we took advantage of the Easter package which included one night room plus a choice between dinner or lunch buffet.

The hotel is located opposite to the 2 theme parks and on top of a luxury shopping mall. Since it is out of the busiest shopping and business district, this hotel itself is slightly cheaper than other 5 stars international chain in downtown. If you do not mind the location, it has a good price tag for a Westin, as it is easily reached by the underground train as the station exit is built next to the shopping mall.

The room is great! It has a view of one of the theme park, like any other Westin that we had stayed, room is well designed, clean and spacious.

We chose the dinner buffet, food is okay and has a good range of choice. The only fault is they only served Oyster once, also they were under-staffed, it took ages to get our bill settled. The service in this hotel is really below average from what you would expect in an international chain, however you are at Mainland China so you can't expect more.

Overall speaking, I would recommend anyone to stay in this hotel if you want to visit the theme park or to pamper yourself for a weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Musesilvergirl
westinshenzhen, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear Musesilvergirl, Thanks for choosing The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan to celebrate your Easter day, and spend your time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you like our room, and recommend our hotel to your friends for their trip. We have already shared your comments to our Food & Beverage department, we will continue to improve our service and look forward to see you soon here.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

The first time I went, they gave me the Presidential Suite as a free upgrade! That was spectacular (bigger than my home) but I was only there one night so I didn't dare unpack or explore it too much! Subsequently I've been back a couple of times, and its a very nice hotel, with beautifully appointed modern rooms and huge open plan bathrooms. The breakfast buffet is amongst the biggest and best I ever saw. The lobby bar is uber-cool. The reception staff (in fact all the staff) are really slick and very friendly. The mall next door has some great restaurants. It can take a long time to get a taxi in the morning (that's China for you). If you go, see if you can spot the World's Largest Calamari Ring ;-) Here's a travel tip.... if you fly into HKG and you only have carry-on, you can catch the fast-ferry straight from air-side to Shenzhen, clear immigration (really quick) then take a taxi to your hotel. In my experience this saves at least an hour versus the overland border.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hypnotist
westinshenzhen, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Dear Hypnotist: Thank you for visiting at The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan and taking the time to share your stay experience. We already shared your review with our colleagues in Food & Beverage and Front Office departments together who were inspired that we exceeded your expectations. We will keep our service as usual and looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at the Wesin Shenzhen on a leisure trip. Most of my stays at a Westin are for business and it was lovely to take advantage of all the things I usually miss - my room had a great view of a mini-Eifel tower, the heavenly bed can't be beat, happy hour and dessert cocktails on the top floor were a nice touch. The hotel is a great mix of comfortable Westin comforts and unique Shenzhen and local features.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Calsee: Thanks for choosing The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan on your leisure trip, and spent your time to share the great experience with us. We are glad that you like our room especially our Westin brand product – Heavenly Bed, we will keep our service as usual and looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I was on a leisure trip and primarily wanted to go to Dong Men and Lowu via the subway. The hotel isn't near to these locations, 12-14 subway stops if I remembered correctly! Fortunately, there is no need to change subway lines and the subway entrance is connected to the hotel via a mall next to the hotel.

I did want to go via the mall to the subway station earlier one morning but the connector path from the hotel to the mall wouldn't open until 11am! Thats a little late isn't it?

About the mall next to the hotel, it has good amenities and nice shops. There are cafes which open at 11am. I visited the Cafe de Coral (Hong Kong style chinese fast food) for a quick and affordable late breakfast one day. However, would still recommend the hotel breakfast which I tried on another morning, the spread is good and if you are the types who have lots during breakfast, it can be value for money too.

The hotel staff are all very friendly and I would have rated them perfect if not for the travel desk. I had used the travel desk on the 2nd floor to make reservations for transport to Hong Kong. I found the travel desk did not proactively offer information on the options, I had to push for more information.

The travel desk has a tie up with EE Bus Company which does a transfer to Hong Kong International airport or Hong Kong City (Kowloon). Since I wanted to get to Hong Kong City, I opted for this so I don't need to get to the Hong Kong airport and make my way to Hong Kong city again. I would advise anybody to go to the airport instead after my experience!

The China side immigration to Hong Kong city was brutal. There were long queues and that is fine but there is absolutely no respect for queues and lots of high impact pushing. It was terrible trying to navigate the snaking crowds of people with luggaes and family. When you are done with the China side immigration, there is the Hong Kong side! But the Hong Kong side has better with crowd control so a more humane experience. I wonder if it is because I was crossing the borders on a Friday late morning and there is a crowd?

Anyways, later I found out, the immigration at the airport side is much more organised so if you have luggages and don't quite like high impact body contact, please take the airport option. I would have appreciated if the travel desk ask if we have luggages, provided more information about the plus and challenges of both options.

For your information, this is the process you will go through with EE Limo Bus to Hong Kong City from the hotel:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Pick up at hotel via a car and the car will go around picking others, dropping them at EE Bus office etc before dropping you off at immigration.

2) You drag your luggages to the immigration building and there is no sheltered path for the 7-10 min effort so good luck if it is raining.

3) You navigate China immigation, you navigate Hong Kong immigration.

4) You go to the bus bay to find EE Bus (not difficult to find), you are responsible for placing your luggages at the luggage compartment of the bus. Don't expect help even though there are EE employees around, they are looking but not helping. As the luggage compartment is already rather full, I had to scram into the luggae area to push other luggages inwards to make space but its nothing compared to the action at the China immigration.

5) We waited for a while as the bus fills up and makes it way to Kowloon, the journey was fine but at Kowloon, there is no space to stop infront of the EE Bus office and they had to drop us off a couple of streets away.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Back to the hotel. I made a mistake booking a smoking room and called a couple of hours before my arrival to get it changed. Although they were out of non-smoking rooms, they promised they will find a solution and they did! I'm appreciative the hotel didn't just give me the "too bad" attitude. I would return to this hotel even though it may not be the nearest hotel to the places I would like to go to in Shen Zhen.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank savonarie
westinshenzhen, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Shenzhen Nanshan, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

Dear savonarie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us,we are glad to heard that you have a wonderful stay with us, we will keep our our service and looking forward to see you soon.