“Just wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 2,769 Hotels in Shenzhen
Switzerland
“Just wonderful”
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Our first time to mainland China and with the Ritz, we just felt at home right away. We stayed for 3 nights, came from Macau via Speed Boat. Hotel arranged pick up at the Harbour and staff was already informed when we arrived at the hotel, so everything ran very smooth and the first impression is usually very important. We had the chance to speak to the General Manager, Mr. Iwan Dietschi and he even took the time to briefly showed us some hotel highlights. We thought that was very professional. Had a room at club level floor and access to the lounge. They change their setup 5 times a day (so enough food for everybody), they even featur a smokers lounge. Had a "meeting" at their luxurious spa to pamper up for a round of golf at the nearby Mission Hills Golf resort. Hotel did help us with bookings and travel arrangements. Had dinner at their chinese restaurant and later a drink and cigar at "curv", lobby bar. Summary: We experienced China on a very high level but that's what we wanted and the Ritz was the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed in Ritz-Carlton Shenzhen just for one night but I have to say it’s the best business Hotel I have been in China so fare. The hotel looks brand new, the staff is very nice, and rooms are very clean and spacious. Also the breakfast is very big with a nice selection from round the world.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank floauso
Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Just stayed in a club floor deluxe room for a few days and can tell you that I had trouble sleeping 3 out of the 4 nights we lived here due to noise problems. First, the floor of the room is wood. Sounds nice?...Unfortunately, the floor of the room above you is also wood. Thus, for three nights we were woken out of a sound sleep by the sounds of the guest's in the room above us and their shoes clapping (like tap dancing) against that wood floor (our guest room ceiling). Even more unfortunate is that these sounds occurred at around 2am each night which is consistent with those returning to the hotel from a night out on the town. If you are not aware, Shenzhen is basically a playground for single men on the prowl so it is completely expected for other guests to return to their rooms very late at night (not at 7pm I can assure you) - 2 out of the 3 nights we had to listen to what unmistakably was a woman's long high-heels clapping on that floor.

I cannot imagine how a hotel could make such a monumental blunder. Does not the concept of a 5-star hotel include a peaceful, uninterrupted night's rest? Unfortunately for the Ritz, this really undid many good things that the hotel had accomplished. For one thing, the service in this hotel is outstanding. All employees seemed very well-trained and a high-level of service was consistent throughout the hotel (from reservations to concierge). Further, the bathrooms were nice (the soaking tub and the television were greatly appreciated by my girlfriend).

Unfortunate for this hotel though, I could not recommend this to anyone other than the heaviest of sleepers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gilgameshed
Reviewed December 1, 2010

The selection of food and drinks is by far the worst I have ever seen. For dinner they serve hot meal and a soup, and those are not my words but a response I got from the staff when asked if that's the regular selection for dinner. + for the good 30 min no one went to refill the wine bottles as they stood there empty, instead there were rearranging apples on the table. All the canappes and that infamous hot meal were literally not edible. I never wrote a review here but this
time I just had no choice. Rooms and spa are really nice though.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Johnnnnn1
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The other reviews of this hotel seem to be glowing, but on my recent stay, I wonder, by comparison to what? Compared to other hotel experiences in China? Yes, it's excellent by comparison to an average stay at a hotel in China. By comparison to say another Ritz-Carlton hotel stay, it's fairly average. I was surprised to find it is less than a year old. The color palette is very dated, to say the least, and the place has quite a lived in feel.

At check in at 2 pm, we were first told there were no rooms available. Upon insistence there were, but we found we were given a handicapped room. Once we found this out and refused the room, we were "upgraded". This whole process took half an hour.

The best thing about the rooms hands down was a prominent and useful universal plug socket located right on the bedside tabletop - one on each side - so that two people could charge a mobile overnight. Brilliant. Glorious. Every hotel on earth should have this.

The selection of beers in the bar is very limited and esoteric - only one local brand and 2 or 3 imports that no one drinks. Seems like they were trying to be too clever. A Cosmopolitan ordered had no cranberry juice and was the wrong color. (It was still US$13 though.)

At checkout they attempted to charge me 50% more for a half bottle of wine from the minibar than the price listed in the room. Caught that.

This is a US$300 hotel room. For the price I would say you can do better elsewhere, although maybe not in Shenzhen.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Ritz after a day's tour of Shenzhen. In all the 5 stars hotels I have stayed at in China, you get the feeling that they are trying hard and learning fast but are not quite there yet. The Ritz Shenzhen put an end to that feeling. The hardware is impeccable as you would expect for any new hotel in urban China run by the Ritz. I checked around the room and did not find any small faults which are common among even 5 starts hotels in China, such as a broken hinge in a cabinet door. The most amazing thing is the level of service which is sincere and at par with any top hotels I have stayed at. I was standing in line for about 5 minutes during my checkout and no less than 3 staffs apologized to me. One of them grabbed the small bag of souvenir we bought and took it to the taxi (as we did not have any luggage) as her way of making our exit easier. As we walked past the coffee shop after dinner at the Italian restaurant, the coffee shop staffs thanked us and wished us good night. Even the waitress at the coffee shop who served us breakfast reminded us to put down our room number (included in the room rate) in the nicest way possible. I must take my hat off to whoever is the training manager at the Shenzhen Ritz.

The food at the Paletto was a bit bland but at prices that is 50% less than Hong Kong's it's OK. The other small issue was the traffic noise from the throughout fare around
the hotel was considerable. I was woken up by it at 8am on Saturday even though we were on the 20th floor but this is not really the fault of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KCKCJY
Sandton
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This was a great place all round. I stayed for 2 days and loved it. It had a great selection of mini-bar options and not the usual tiny little bottles. I dont drink, but i was impressed! Great chocolate stix other than the usual common bars of chocolate. The staff were great. The room was great - though the cabinet in the middle of the room with the 2 LCD's was a bit odd! I loved watching TV in the bath - and boy what a lovely spacious spa-type bath. Great views of the city, great bed, great food all round and great service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business