“Good Hotel but need to Work out Some Kinks”

The Ritz-Carlton, Shenzhen
Ranked #2 of 2,755 Hotels in Shenzhen
USA
“Good Hotel but need to Work out Some Kinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Looks very nice and well-maintained. Room are spacious and not drab. Bathroom looks swank. The problem is the water pressure is very low in the showers and toilets. The roof (rain) shower looked a great idea but since it was generous with water. it was obviously "fixed" to avoid anything hotter than barely lukewarm water, unlike the other shower. Also, something wrong with the air con as it gets very stuffy inside at night. My guess was to save electricity, there was some strange "auto reduce" hidden in the settings that you couldn't access or change.

The restaurant had almost no vegetarian stuff besides muffins and fruit. I was quite annoyed that their omelet was half cooked with yolk on the inside (salmonella poisoning was possible), and their so-called has browns were just over-sized tater tots and they had a funny fishy smell, like they had been made in re-used oil from fish preparations. I almost threw up and never tried the omelet or "hash brown" again.

The staff if very friendly, and remember you by name very often. But I will think three times before I use this hotel again, sorry to say.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sanjayaman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Thank you, thank you. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in 25 years in the travel industry. I have just come back from China on my own holiday and can say hand on heart, that where possible now if there is Ritz Carlton in the area I will book. Yes more expensive usually than other hotels, but they certainly desrve to charge the extra cost. Thank you William, Frank, Hayley, Sally and Susan for making my husbands and I stay at your hotel one of the best experiences ever. The service from this hotel has never been exceeded by any hotel in my opinion. Shenzhen has so much to offer and the staff were always willing to assist.

The rooms were amazingly spacious, with great amenities. We upgraded to Club and it has tobe said the best club Floor I have encountered.

Kelly in the Spa thank you for one of the best massages I have ever had..

We were due to only stay 3 nights, but we were so impressed we booked an extra night.

The hotel management have to been highly commended. The staff are obviously very happy and it shows throughout the hotel.

I work in the Uk for a tour operator and will be recommending this hotel to all.

The best in 25 years of touring the World

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shirleyoco
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton and had an enjoyable experience, all the staff were friendly and very accommodating, especially thanks to the front office staff. The breakfast downstairs is great and the Italian restaurant was a nice place for dinner with business partner or relax after the busy day. The location of the hotel is convenient and the subway system in shenzhen was surprisingly good and easy to navigate. I cannot wait till I am able to return to Shenzhen for business next month.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Regelean T
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

While we travel throughout Asia from our home in Hong Kong our recent stay at the Shenzhen Ritz-Carlton prompted my first review on tripadvisor. We recently spent two nights at the Ritz in Shenzhen and were throughly impressed. The location was very convenient to the Futian border crossing and next to a subway (MTR) stop and a short taxi ride to shopping areas such as Dong Men. The rooms were exceptional with a great bed, work area, sitting area and a bathroom to die for. The pool was a quiet oasis and the restaurants offered great meals at reasonable prices. We stayed on the club floor and found the club to be a great location for a drink and snacks while overlooking the city. Perhaps the best part was the staff who were attentive, helpful and kindly listened to my poor Mandarin while speaking very good english on their part. I forgot an expensive pair of sunglasses at the pool and returned to find the staff had held them for me. The manager took the time to chat and ask about our stay. Not cheap but certanly exceeded our expectations by a wide margin. Well definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul D
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

My experience last year was so wonderful I decided to bring my family and friends here for a holiday.

Our group consisted of 7 adults and 2 children and we had 3 clean, spacious and luxurious rooms. We requested for connecting rooms and 2 rooms were arranged so. This gave us more than ample space to gather at night for drinks and chat sessions.

The service at the Ritz Carlton was impeccable...we were greeted in the morning with big smiles at the club floor where we had breakfast. Good spread of breakfast ranging from a variety of cereals, juices, cheeses, hot food, cooked eggs to noodles. I want to thank Sally of the club lounge for taking extra care of our children. She took an interest in them and talked with them. The swimming pool and the club floor were highlights in the children's book. They enjoyed themselves immensely.

Concierge was ever so attentive and helpful. They helped us with our dining and shopping needs..giving us advice on where to eat and shop and also to be wary of some shopping malls. Very dependable group of people.

Again, Kimmy Kim stands out for her dedication and service excellence. My friend celebrated her birthday while staying at the Ritz Carlton. While we were having dinner at an Italian restaurant some 5 minutes away from the hotel, Kimmy showed up with a birthday cake compliments of the hotel. What a wonderful and generous surprise. Thanks Kimmy for taking the time out from your busy schedule to deliver the cake and good wishes. The chocolate cake was superb!!! Your pastry chef did an amazing job.

As for moving around the city this time, we tried the underground trains. The men did the navigation and it was easy and fast. Just take note that the trains were very packed as it was the weekend where there was an exhibition across from the hotel. The station is mere steps from the hotel entrance. Very convenient.

We want to say a big 'thank you' to all the lovely staff members of Ritz Carlton Shenzhen for making our holiday a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Blueming
SF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have been traveling to Shenzhen on average 4x times per year for 2 week stretches. I have tried the Intercon, Hyatt, Westin, and St. Regis and I have always come back to the Ritz.

What I like:
- Comfortable club lounge for decompressing after a long day in the factory where I can unwind, finish reports and get something to eat and have a drink.
- Room service food very good, will deliver to club lounge as well a room
- Full sized outside pool for lap swimming
- Good gym that is open early
- Great spa that is very accommodating, will take last minute reservations and has late evening spots that accommodates crazy schedule, treatments are good. Hot tub, saunas and relaxation room all every nice which can be used even when not booking a treatment
- Very friendly staff who are relaxed yet very attentive and remember your name and preferences
- Caffe attached to hotel to grab healthy take away lunch, they have cob, pasta and fruit salad as well as 4x types of sandwiches.
- Good part of town, quickest drive to the Long Hua, near coco park and central walk mall for lots of eating options
- Right next to subway stop
- Rooms large, comfortable and homy/cozy

Things that could be better:
- Faster wifi in room (cable connection fast though)
- Gym could be kept colder
- Room temp could be colder but all hotels I have tried have issues with getting cool enough for my taste
- Construction of near by buildings taking a while but really can't hear much.

Over all I my home away from home when I am on business in Shenzhen.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Brillant staff, brilliant hotel! Opt for a club room it will be a net saving if you eat meals there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family