“Excellent Hotel”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #14 of 2,840 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen in July 2012 and more recently in February 2013. The service level is that of any five star hotel - absolutely impeccable! The hotel is located on a main boulevard near a golf course and downtown attractions. The subway is a short walk away and taxis will whisk you away to just about anywhere in the city.

Both times I stayed on the Executive Lounge Floor. Their are food and drinks throughout the day and evening. This is not your ordinary lounge. In the morning there is a chef who will prepare breakfast items to order as well as a full buffet of Western and Eastern dishes. The restaurants downstairs are excellent. There is a morning buffet in one with almost every kind of food imaginable. During my February stay they made this optional for those on the Executive level. The other restaurant is also very good. In July we hosted a banquet for our family -- 16 people in total. We had a private room with a large table that sat 16 comfortably including a large glass lazy Susan. We had a ten course lunch with three wait staff serving us. They were very good and attended to our every need.

The hotel rooms are spacious. They include a king size bed, large desk and plenty of storage. The room has a large screen TV plus a smaller (15 inch?) in the bathroom. The bath room has a shower plus a soaking tub, supplies, and separate toilet room. The lighting is controllable from the bed as are the curtains.

All in all we greatly enjoyed both our stays and it is definitely our hotel of choice in Shenzhen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Freqtourist
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Freqtourist ,

Thank you so much for your great review! We work really hard to make sure everyone in our hotel receives outstanding service. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff made you feel comfortable and and cared for. We pride ourselves on providing fantastic food in our restaurants.

We are honoured to be your Shenzhen hotel of choice!
Thanks again for your great feedback!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was in Shenzhen for business, and stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. The staff were friendly, and the room is very nice and spacious. It has the nice western/soft bed as most of Chinese hotels don't have! The location is great, never had to wait for more than 1 minute for taxi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for given us such a great comments, we are very pleased to know that you are satisfied with our facilities and services. Customer satisfaction is always our first priority and we will spend all efforts to improve ourselves in the future!
We are sincerely looking forward to your next stay in our hotel!

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I was in room 2519 and it was really nice!! Quiet, gorgeous, clean, comfortable, and the Club Lounge on 27 was awesome!!! As good as Ritz Carltons that I have stayed in. The staff was Ritz Carlton quality and the food was awesome in the breakfast room and in the restaurant. The tub was cool!! Loved the decor. I would recommend this place; it's an oasis in the scariness of Shenzen.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your high praise on us. It's our pleasure to know that you have a sense of identity to our Marriott brand including JW Marriott and Riz Carlton.

We always treat our guests with the higest standard and your commendation would be the best encouragement to us! Looking forward to your next visit in our hotel!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've now stayed at this hotel several times, it's a good business hotel. Rooms are spacious and if you're lucky enough to get an upgrade (or pay of course!) for a corner room they are enormous. Staff are always exceptionally polite and there is very much a can do attitude to requests. It's located in Futian right on Shennan Rd which gives excellent road links across the city. Metro station is a 5 minutes walk and then you're just a few stops from shopping park (for coco park where the expats hang out) or Huaqiang road for the electronics markets. There are some good restaurants a short walk away from the hotel. Back to the hotel, I stay on the executive floor so as to benefit from the breakfast and the evening cocktails, which is a great way to entertain clients before heading out for dinner. Be warned though, the ground floor bar is expensive, western expensive. One final note, when logging on to the internet there are two options Marriott Club members and non-members. Non-members have to pay. Don't bother, just click the Marriott Club option, it has never asked me to enter my details and automatically logs me in for free. Personally, I think all hotels should provide free wifi as part of the room rate. After all, it's on and in use even if it's not being used right?

Room Tip: There's one room that has a pillar in the middle of the window - blocks a lot of light. Avoid th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your praise on us and very glad to know you have a nice stay in our hotel. We do own a very unique location which is convenient for both bussiness and travel. and in the meanwhile we always try our best to offer the world class quality service and we hope these can meet your expectations.

Thank you again and sincerely looking forward to your next stay in our hotel!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The first impression of the hotel I had was the courteous driver meeting me at Hong Kong airport. He was polite and gave me a brief tour on our way pointing out different areas of Hong Kong before we crossed over the border. The border crossing was quick and painless. The driver took care of all the logistics and quickly we were thru to China. From HK airport to hotel lobby took about 45-50 mins (keep in mind it was late in the evening on a Sunday so there wasn't a lot of traffic on the road or border). Judging by the number of car lanes at the border, my guess is that could get pretty tangled at times.

The hotel check-in was quick and takes place in your room. The room was an upgraded corner suite with floor to ceiling windows on all sides. The room mixed East and West. The washroom was over-sized with a rain shower second to none. The check in assistant recognized after a long journey I was hungry and offered the in room dining menu. It seemed like minutes and the food was delivered, served and tasty.

The casual restaurant does a very impressive breakfast buffet also mixing east and west. There is everything from an egg (omelette) station to full noodle/sushi bar and all in between. I tried the restaurant one morning as I had executive lounge access. If you have lounge access, there is no need to eat anywhere else for breakfast (and even dinner). The staff and presentation is tremendous. The food choices were amazing and plentiful. I recommend it.

Ate one night at the Japanese restaurant. Ordered sushi that didn't smell fresh. Others at table had no issues and good meals; might have been a one off experience.

Overall great hotel and staff.

The downside.... There isn't any easy place to go for a walk and check out sights. Other colleagues were staying at other hotels with easy access to stores, restaurants, etc. This hotel was ideal for me as it was near my place of business but if you are looking for options, do your homework.

If and when my work takes me back to the area, I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny. The one push electric curtains are fun :)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. We feel so honored that you enjoyed your staying in our excutive lounge where we offer world class service to our dear customers. We will defnitely share your high praise with the EL team and keep improving our food and berverage quality.

Locating on Shennan Boulevard, there are several shopping malls near our hotel and the metro station is just 8 minutes walk from the hotel, maybe you can have an exploration next time when you come to Shenzhen again!

Thanks again and we sincerely looking forward to your coming back soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel room was American in terms of its size. I love its generosity in washroom. You could even sit comfortably in front of a full size mirror to do some make up. My girlfriend liked it very much. It was equipped with a separate lavatory and shower with bathtub. The view was not very spectacular but you cannot expect much as it is located along Shennan Blvd - the main road in the city. Staff were very attentive and caring.

One great positive experience was I could get access to facebook / twitter by the hotel's complimentary wifi / wired internet, websites you could not access to normally in China!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive commendation with us. We are very glad that our facilities had reach up to your expectation.

JW Marriott always spend our best efforts to offer the most convenient sevice to the customers and distinguish itself as the best choice of bussiness hotel.

Thank you again for the appreciation of our facilities and we sincerely expect your next stay in our hotel in the near future!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stay regularly at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen, China. I have gotten to know staff members there, especially the women who work in the Executive Lounge area on the 27th floor. Their friendly nature and great attitude towards customer service are the attributes of this hotel which stand out the most.

The accommodations are nice, with the full marble bathroom and a wonderful shower. The TV has input connections compatible with my PC and I was able to stream the NFC Championship over nfl.com into my room on the big screen. Almost like home, except without the couch.

Things that would improve the hotel are a small TV in the bathroom (the Sheraton has one), and disinfecting the shower area to get rid of a slight musty smell. There are areas of the shower which get damp, but which don't always get scrubbed down. Still, make one phone call and it's taken care of. Sometimes the elevator has an odd smell as well. The location is a bit off the beaten path and the metro stop is a bit of hike, about a ten minute walk. Depending on the room, it can a little on the dark side as structural columns sometimes block the window.

I give four stars based on the amenities and customer service. To get five stars, JWM would have to address the issues I mention above.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room with more windows and a view of the Shenzhen skyline.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business