“Great Stay at the Marriott”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #12 of 2,781 Hotels in Shenzhen
Topeka, Kansas
“Great Stay at the Marriott”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Staying at the JW Marriott for 3 days during my business trip, and it has been one of the best hotels I have stayed in, here in China. The gym is the best I have been in so far, nice equipment, friendly efficient staff (Emma in the early mornings always has a friendly smile and hello), clean, and plenty of towels and bottled water on hand.

Check in is fast and efficient, all the staff have better than average english skills. The Front Desk Manager (I think?) Alexandra was very welcoming and was very helpful when I locked myself out of the room during my stay.

Breakfast buffet is very good, all of the western staples, and has the best hotel coffee I have had in any of my stays. The lobby lounge has a nice selection of snacks and light meals, and the Chinese restaurant Man Ho on the second floor is very good, though very expensive.

The rooms are large and well maintained. The beds are very comfortable, not hard at all like in some Asian hotels. The bathrooms have large soaking tubs, with an auxiliary flat screen display in the bathroom. I can soak in a tub and watch a movie that is playing on the bedroom tv.

Location is not near a lot of the Expat centers, but Coco Park is just a 5 to 10 min cab ride away, and Shekou bar street/Seaworld is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic. Behind the hotel is a mini mall with a McDonalds and a Starbucks, as well as an ATM that is well lit and secure when the bank it is in is open. A Mannings in the same mini mall has any toiletry or snack you may need. There is a local tea shop and coffee house nearby if you want to get out of the hotel.

Overall I look forward to my stays in this hotel, every time I come to China.

Room Tip: I tend to avoid the corner rooms, some of the end "19" they are long, narrow and the bath...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
China
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my wife and son (too tired to drive). We were given a free upgrade to the executive level because the last time we stayed they upgraded us for free, so why not this time? We also just spent a week at the Marriott in Hong Kong, so I think an upgrade was in order considering we had spent thousands of HKD on our stay in HK (we were in a suite).

The original room we were given was not to our liking, so they moved us to a bigger and nicer room. The room was great! Everything you would expect of a 5-star hotel, though a bit on the dark side.

The executive lounge was spacious and the food was decent...not the best, but good enough, considering it was free.

The main problem with this hotel, and a lot of hotels in China (mainland), is the service quality. They just can't seem to get their heads out of the sand and understand that customer service is of paramount importance. The situation that arose upon check-out was totally ridiculous. I needed an invoice with the hotel stamp (front desk stamp would suffice), but they informed me they do not have a company stamp (all registered companies have a stamp). They also wanted to know why I needed the invoice stamped. What business is it of theirs? None. Besides, I had already explained that I needed it for my accountant. I also showed them the stamped invoice from the Marriott in Hong Kong. I went on to tell them that when I asked for the invoice to be stamped in Hong Kong, it was done right away, no questions asked. The manager came up to the lounge and lied to my face about the stamp and said that he would need to apply for approval to stamp the invoice. Talk about control freaks! Wow...this was totally unexpected. After what seemed like ages, he finally stamped the invoice, but not with the company stamp, rather, the stamp used at the concierge.

The hotel is nice and very modern. Everything is what you would expect when staying at a JW Marriott. The only downsides were the abject lack of customer service and the location (Shenzhen isn't a place I'd want to stay when on holiday). Lying to a customer is a serious breach of conduct, in my honest opinion. If I needed the invoice stamped, it should have been done straight away. There was no need for the manager or anyone else to ask why I needed the invoice stamped. Control, control, control...even at American hotels! Wow!

Room Tip: Don't believe them if they say they don't have the room type you prefer. They lie. You'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
louisville, ky
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at the JW for two nights towards the end of a three-week business trip. I really enjoyed my stay.

The room was very comfortable and had very nice amenities. The shower room and soaker tub were not your standard hotel room fare. The rooms were very nicely decorated and felt very upscale. The bed was a lot softer than some of the other hotel beds that I slept on throughout China, so this was a plus, too!

The buffet breakfast was very good and had a lot of food options. It was a nice touch to have a to-go coffee/tea bar for a beverage on the go.

The hotel location was walking distance to restaurants if you felt like venturing out.

Of the hotels I stayed at over this trip (four in all), the staff at the JW spoke the best English, which helped me out a lot as a non-Chinese speaker.

All in all, it was a very comfortable stay, and I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear jaymi,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel! Our bathrooms are designed for relaxing, while still preserving an elegant yet simple feel. The big bathtub and the waterfall shower head are a nice surprise for someone who has had a long day travelling on business! The beds are not hard like you would find in most hotels in China. We use 7-layer Serta brand mattresses, which are of a world-class standard in terms of comfort and quality. Thanks so much for your review! We hope next time you can stay with us a little longer!
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The JW Marriott in Shenzhen almost makes you forget you aren't in one of the plush fancy hotels across the border in Hong Kong. The staff was very polite and well trained. Each staff member I interacted with spoke English very well and was eager to assist in anything that might be needed.

The rooms were very nice and well equipped with all of the amenities of a top-notch hotel chain. Breakfast was pretty good, though I have had a bit better at other JW Marriotts.

All-in-all, the JW Marriott was a great value and convenient location near the train station. Definitely expect to return the next time I am in Shenzhen.

Hello JW-relaxed-traveller,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback! We work very hard to provide our guests with world class facilities and service, we are so pleased you felt well looked after while staying in our hotel. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Shenzhen!
United States
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Had a great stay here but reservations changed the rates AFTER we already reserved the room. We made our reservations online late 2011 with an email confirmation and we received an email early 2012 that they made a changed on our reservation because the rates has changed for 2012 and my reservation was based on 2011 rates. Get this the rate change was $150 more a night! We called the Marriott’s toll-free line and they adjusted the rate but still had to pay $50 more. They should have honored our original reservation and not change the rates when everything has been confirmed with a confirmation number.

Also, when we first checked in, they said we have reservations for ONE king bedroom which was inaccurate, our original reservation was for two double/queen bed and had to show the email confirmation that we were guaranteed two double/queen beds. They said that they were fully booked and only had one king, after almost half an hour waiting, they gave us the two queen/double bedroom.

The room was beautiful and large with a nice sitting area and a large LCD tv. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and bathtub. There was a small LCD tv in the bathroom so you can watch while taking a bath. Their toiletries were also nice and larger than the travel size containers in other hotels. The beds were great and the duvet covers were cozy and the sheets were thick and in line with the Marriott chain. There was also a safe in the closet, the door is on top and you lift the door up to open the safe. There were two kinds of bathrobe, the Asian kind and the usual plush robes. Turn down service was also great and even had the slippers with mats in between the beds.

Room service was great too and didn’t have to wait long for them to bring it up. They had a warming drawer under the portable table so our food was still hot when it arrived.

A few days before we arrived, they emailed us directions on how to get there as well as translations for the cab driver and they offer a pick up service at the Shenzhen airport for Y600 one way. We just took the subway and got off in Xiang Mi Hu station and exited in C2 and walked on Shennan Blvd for about five minutes. It was a nice stroll but just watch out for the electric motor bikes. They’re very quiet and it was hard to hear them.

Other than the reservation, we had a great stay at this hotel, just make sure you keep all your reservation confirmation should you have any problems.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Anoini2,

We're really sorry about the problems encountered at check in. We'd like to apologise for the inconvenience it caused you. This is the first time I've heard of this kind of problem occurring, but we'll see what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments about our room service and our guest rooms! We're so please you enjoyed yourself and hope we will see you again in the near future!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Maybe because I stayed a brief two days in this hotel, and in that two days, I was actually out early in the morning and back only late into the night, so I saw little in this hotel which deserves much praise. Admittedly, the hardware scores high - the lobby is grand, the staff is enthusiastic, the check-in and out are swift and efficient and the rooms are modern and well-stocked with all the amenities you'd imagine should be available in a 5-star hotel.

And now that we're talking about the room, I need to mention the one I was allocated. The decor was modern and sleek, and cleanliness was top-notch. The bathroom was generously sized, with the toilet actually a different compartment from the shower and bath area. It was impressive! But weirdly, the room I had had a huge pillar right at the rear of the room near the windows. This is not a small pillar and must be one of those main ones holding up the foundation of the building. I have no qualms about pillars of course, but the bad design of the architect ensured that this room's view is blocked almost entirely by this pillar. And it took up much space which could have been used to place a nice, comfortable sofa. Obviously, I was deemed just a trasitional customer and not that important to be allocated this room.

Otherwise, I think the hotel lives up to its Marriott brand to a large extent. But that's also because it's nice; the challenge is to keep it this way or better still excel beyond expectations 10 years later. I have a nagging suspicion that this hotel might never be able to withstand the harshess of time, and eventually slip like what happened to so many five-star outfits in China.

Room Tip: I was a Marriott Rewards member with Silver status, but still I got that room, hmmm......
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hey, Sal the Fat Fish!

We're pleased to hear you enjoyed the services and amenities available in our hotel! Glad that the interior and rooms all met your approval.

We're sorry you were not happy with your room! Next time you stay with us, make sure to let the staff at the front desk know you would not like a room with a pillar. Like you said, those pillars are holding up the building and unfortunately are found on every floor. Our front desk would not intentionally choose a less preferable room for you if one was available, but in the future it's best to be sure and mention that you would like a different room at check in. If you have any concerns in the future, please let our staff know and they will be happy to make arrangements for another room.

Thank you so much for staying at the JW Marriott Shenzhen and thank you also for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We hope that in the future we can provide all of the services and facilities you would expect from the JW Marriott brand to make your trip flawless.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed here several times when I travel to Shenzhen. I have never had a bad experience. The rooms are great and the hotel staff cannot do enough for you. The executive lounge and it's staff make the lounge one of the best in the Marriott chain. The lounge has great food, great drinks and a staff that works tirelessly to insure that your stay is painless. The lounge staff works hard to insure that my dinner reservations are correct and always communicate with me if there was any problems with any reservation. The lounge and restaurants in the hotel include the same attentive staff and the food is awesome. I cannot say enough about the quality of this hotel. I will never stay at another hotel while visiting Shenzhen.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Scott S,

Thank you so much for your great review! We work really hard to make sure everyone in our hotel receives outstanding service. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff made you feel comfortable and and cared for. We pride ourselves on providing fantastic food in our restaurants and lounges.

We are honoured to be your Shenzhen hotel of choice!