“Great find and great value in Shenzen”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #16 of 2,769 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hudson, Massachusetts
“Great find and great value in Shenzen”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

JW Marriott in Shenzen is that rare find in Southern China... a 5 star property with service and amenities on par with similar Hong Kong hotels.
The hotel is located in the Cyber Park area of Shenzen which is about 15 minutes by taxi from the main rail station.
The hotel seems relatively new - very clean and modern design. The front desk and bell staff were prompt, friendly and very helpful. The rooms are large with an amazing bathroom which have a bathtub/shower stall area complete with view. The bed and linens were comfortable. The wifi was consistent and hotel-wide with very good band strength.
The hotel's fitness center is quite good, especially with cardio equipment. There is 24 hour access which is great for jet lag sufferers. I did use the spa which was also first class, clean with friendly staff - although treatments were expensive.
There is a fantastic Japanese restaurant in the hotel with incredible sushi and sashimi. The coffee shop on the 2nd floor offers an incredible breakfast buffet..... both western and asian style food.
On my second visit I stayed on the Executive Floor - which has an incredible lounge with a good breakfast and happy hour and very friendly staff. The staff remembered my name after my first visit and called me by name upon every visit - very impressive.
The only strange thing I noticed at the JW Marriott was a serious lack of visitors.. seemed I was by myself often in the fitness center, at breakfast and even in the Executive lounge where there just a handful of people. Maybe it is a slow time of year but certainly I hope more people can discover and enjoy this gem of a hotel in Shenzen.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear JDERV,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We're really honoured you would say such great things about our hotel! Our bathrooms are a big hit with most of our guests, they love the modern feel and the waterfall shower head! The 24 hour gym access is also a favourite for guests who find themselves up at all hours of the night. I'm so pleased to hear that our executive floor staff could make you feel comfortable! Let us know if there is anything you need in the future.

As a hotel that primarily caters to business travellers, our occupancy is heavily influenced by events, conventions and other business related activities in Shenzhen. We have very busy peak times but also lower occupancy periods when business in Shenzhen slows down. It could be that maybe you were staying during a slower period, however, our occupancy is usually very healthy. We too hope that more people can discover JW Marriott Shenzhen and make it their hotel of choice! Thanks again for your wonderful feedback! We can't wait to see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Great hotel stay w 5* experience!
Room was very beautiful, spacious, clean and brightly lit. There is an additional TV at the toilet area. The bathtub in the room is a luxuary!
The hotel has a good breakfast spread. The only downside is that it is too far from a train station (20 min walk).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Hey Eleda16,

Thanks for your review! We are so glad you liked your room! We couldn't agree with you more! We think our rooms are very well designed and are a big fan of the bathrooms! We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future!

The hotel is located between Chegongmiao and Xiangmihu metro stations, Chegongmiao being the closest to the Hotel at about 320 meters away (or about two blocks), for most it's a 5-10 minute walk. Our website has a map which might be useful in helping cut down on walking time next time you stay with us! Thanks again for your review!
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for two nights - in two different rooms - one suite, one standard room. As a Marriott Rewards Gold member, I also accessed the Executive Lounge.

There are many unpleasant surprises during the stays.
- When I arrived to the hotel, the front desk said she could not give me a room with King-sized bed. I had to stress that one of the privileges of a gold member is to have the room type guaranteed, otherwise why I spend so many nights with Marriott to get the gold. Only by that, I've got a upgrade to a suite.
- At the second check-in the Front Desk did not even recognize my gold membership until I asked for an upgrade.
- When I was working in the suite room, in the middle of the evening, suddenly all lights off. I used my cell phone to light up and made a phone call. I was then told there is a motion detector in the room and I have to move once a while. But why I was not told at the time of checking in?
- I ordered a room service in the evening and put the food plate outside of the door. It stayed there the whole night.
- One evening I went up to the Executive Lounge to get some food - there were food but no utensil. I asked the attendant for one but was told: "can you just use fork, cause the food supply time was just pasted. I had to ask twice to get one to pick up the food.
- The Executive Lounge stops supply alcohol drinks at 9PM. Among the earliest I've never seen at a JW.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hello GGLI,

Sorry to hear about your experience in our hotel. We're sorry that you encountered so many problems and would like to apologise. I can assure you that the issues you described in your review are not common occurrences here at the JW Marriott Shenzhen and that in the future we will endeavour to do all that we can to make your stay here as smooth as possible. In the future if you encounter anything similar, please approach any of our guest relations officers or any of our floor staff and they will do all they can to assist you. We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
NJ
Reviewed April 19, 2012

As newer internationally branded luxury hotels (many are a part of or adjacent to big retail complexes) continue to come on-line in Shenzhen, the JW is one of the hotels that I would drop from my rotation of accommodations. This <400 guest room hotel has been well-kept since its opening in 2009, I have stayed here 5 times this past year. As a Marriott Rewards gold elite member, the hotel is always good about providing me lounge access (both paid and award stays); it was only recently that the policy was changed and we now have to choice to have breakfast at the 27th floor lounge or the 2nd floor restaurant for buffet breakfast (though I am disappointed at the selection on the 2nd floor, the items just not up to my personal taste). I have always experienced good service and the quality of food is above average at the Japanese restaurant on the 2nd floor. On the other hand, dining at the Chinese restaurant on property can be a very uncomfortable experience (too crowded and hot), as the space and layout is tight; food served here is average. The lounge offerings at nighttime are bountiful enough to substitute for dinner. While policies change from time to time, I believe Marriott Rewards elite members enjoy a discount at the F&B outlets on premises, inquire at check-in to be sure.

Driving in and out of the hotel can be a pain (though I have never had trouble with finding a taxi at any time of the day there) as the hotel is off of the east-bound direction of a major arterial, if you need to head west or is coming in from the east, there will be some routing around, which can be debilitating during rush hour, or even worse, if you miss the appropriate entry/exit trying to locate the hotel. The hotel is a 12-15 walk from the nearest Metro station, with very limited retail shops/restaurants along the pathway to the hotel. Unlike many other internationally branded luxury hotel options in Shenzhen, this one is kind of in the middle of Shenzhen proper, but not adjacent to as much enticing retail as many of the competing properties.

The rooms vary in layout, while the total floor area occupied may not vary drastically, the way the rooms are configured, one may need to see a few rooms to find the one most accommodating to one’s personal preferences (rooms with bigger bathrooms vs rooms with elongated work surfaces vs rooms with a long couch vs rooms that are not extremely narrow etc.). Many rooms have a big square pillar occupying a large amount of space near the window, I always confirm at check-in that I get a room without one. Some of the standard rooms have the most spacious (stand-alone) toilet room that I have seen anywhere. Avoid the corner room, it is tiny and includes a large pillar. The hospitality service in general is spotty, especially aggravating are the IT department staff if you encounter any technological/Internet issues.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner room, and rooms with large pillars.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

For Americans traveling to Shenzhen, this is the place to stay.

Check-in is quick and, for two separate stays, they had rooms ready early. All staff speak at least acceptable and, in some cases, excellent English. From the front desk to the concierge, everyone was incredibly pleasant and helpful.

I received an upgrade to a suite and the room was . . . huge. 5 separate rooms that made it incredibly easy to work and relax. The bath was wonderful with a huge tub and great shower. Spotlessly clean. Enormous walk-in closet. Truly wonderful

The concierge lounge was great. Breakfast had many options, both western and Asian. There are made-to-order eggs. Go with omelet or fried -- if scrambled, ask for them "well done" or they can be runny. Evening offered a wide variety of appetizers and desserts. A nice place to relax.

There are 3 restaurants in the hotel -- Chinese, Japanese and American/Asian fusion. Each is nice and one of the few places in China where you can order wine by the glass. The "western" restaurant has a huge buffet with tons of options -- come with an appetite. All restaurants have good service and good food. Next door is a decent Italian restaurant that caters to westerners.

As others have stated, the hotel is located somewhat outside of the main city -- not exactly walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Thus, if you want to experience downtown or other restaurants, you'll need to take a cab; that said, there are many restaurants a short ride away.

Having stayed here twice, I highly recommend the hotel for westerners. It provides a great hotel in a decent location in an environment where you get some local flavor but also can get along if you only speak English.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hey MisstheDogs,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! We are flattered that you would speak so highly of us! Thank you so much for staying in our hotel. Guests who are not bilingual should never feel nervous in our hotel, a large portion of our staff are english proficient, or in the event they are not, have a superior or manager who can provide assistance. Like you said, our hotel not only caters to Chinese guests, but really can make westerners or foreign visitors feel comfortable by providing facilities and services of a very high standard. Thanks again for your feedback!
Singapore
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is my second visit for 1 night.

Arrival and check in - We arrived in a taxi and felt very welcomed with the reception opening doors for us and ushering us to the check in desk. Lobby design was modern and classy. Check in was fast. We asked for a room on the high floor and was given one.

Room - Room was a double bed room with the view of the opposite office building. Noticed that the layout was similar to the last visit here with a big pillar right beside the bed. A bit dark even when we turned on all the lights available. But not a big issue since we are on holiday not for work. The large flat screen tv was a delight with lots of channels.

Bathroom - Very spacious layout with a standalone bathtub in a big shower area, and a separate toilet. Washbasin was also big and provides enough space for putting our toiletries. However, the curtain roll to the full glass window could not cover the full window, causing a lack of privacy when there is an office building opposite.

Bed - High bed with thick mattress. We felt very comfortable sleeping on it.

Other amenities - We like the design of the safe which is like a drop in box and allows one to have full view of what is placed inside.

Hotel facilities - We went to the lounge for a drink that evening after dinner and were pleased with the service by the waitresses. We wanted a quiet non- smoking place to sit around and they showed us the various areas within the lounge for us to choose from.

Location - Hotel is in an industrial area with office buildings around. However, there are actually quite a number of dining options around if one walked along the main street behind the hotel. We also used this street to walk to the metro station (about 15min walk) which I realized has more dining and shopping outlets within the train station now compared to 2 years ago when I was here. We took the train to Coco park shopping mall which is just few minutes ride. There is also a McDonald's and Starbucks in the building behind the hotel.

Overall a wonderful stay here and no wonder why the hotel is ranked high on tripadvisor.

• Stayed October 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed here in October/November 2011. I was there on a mixture of business and pleasure. Had stayed there a year previous on business also.
What an impressive hotel! I was more than happy there.

LOCATION: Great location. Close to most things you may need. All business centres, markets, transport to Hong Kong and also, if you walk out the front and then around behind the hotel, there is a GREAT Starbucks and Mc Donalds (just encase you get a bit homesick)
Although quite central, taxi's seem to have a hard time finding it so make sure the driver knows where it is before you get in the car!

SERVICE: What EXCELLENT service. The staff were very attentive, very eager to help you and had great knowlage of the surrounding area. I was VERY impressed with one member of staff in particular. Michael at Concierge. He should be management! His English was perfect, he remembered us and our names as soon as we walked in the door (even though we only met a year previous!) He was the most helpful and welcoming hotel worker I have ever come across. He even kept a small bag we accidently left there a year ago, without even being asked to.
But overall, the service was good. I only have one minor quip, I asked for a small jug of fresh milk for my tea in my room and they tried to charge me for it! But that was only very minor.

FOOD & DRINK: There is a great selection of 3 or 4 cafes/restraunts in the hotel, all with seperate cuisines. The one that must not be missed is the evening buffet! It is just amazing. All you can eat. Food from all over the world, (western mostly) with sections to help yourself or chefs there to 'cook on demand'. The desserts are AMAZING.
There is also a nice little bar downstairs if you fancy a drink.

ROOMS: My room was incredible. If you want to be wow'd, book a room on the corner. The view is fab, the room is huge, and the bathroom is like something I have never seen before.
Also, the whole place was very very clean. No issues there.

FACILITIES: The rooftop swimming pool is just great. A picture of relaxation, serenity and diversity. There is also a great spa and wellness centre, though the prices are a little much.

SLEEP QUALITY: No problems. Slept by a baby. :)

Room Tip: Get a 'Corner Room' on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business