“Great Business hotel - best in Shenzhen”

JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen
Ranked #14 of 2,820 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Just had my first stay here after spending previous business trips to Shenzhen at the Grand Mercure just down the road. It is a bit more expensive and definitely at the top end of the $$$ scale but compared to say Hong Kong or normal Western cities, its still on teh cheap side. But it is 5 star and is regarded to be the best in Shenzhen and i would agree. Executiver floor is excellent especially if you need to have meetings, they have a Board Room which we used for no charge for 2 hours as my boss stayed on the Executive Floor. Room was same as other floors but you get the lounge.

Breakfast was excellent at Cafe Chinois. We also dined there in the evening and enjoyed the buffet for 268 RMB including a glass of wine. Buffet was extensive with loads of seafood, grilled meats, Japanese, desserts, etc. The Bar just off the lobby is also good and offers snacks.

The gym here is great and is open 24 hours in case you suffer jetlag. There is a steam sauna and large spa in the Male change rooms. Also an outdoor swimming but wasnt heated.

The rooms are very tastefully decorated and very much to my liking - nice desk, lots of wood panelling, iron in cupboard, wifi of course which was free, good tv and dvd player, ipod dock. The bathroom area was large with a big wet area containing a shower and free standing bath right next to the window (curtain for privacy). The only weird thing about the room was a very large pillar right at the window which basically blocked any view from the bedroom but the view isnt great anyway and if you want it, then take a bath. Beds were very comfortable and soft compared with other hotels i have slept in throughout China.

The hotel is very well located and seemed easy to access for taxi's. We never had to wait very long for a taxi. Right behind the hotel is a Starbucks and McDonalds. It is a short 10 minute walk to the metro train station.

I stayed for a few nights on two separate occasions within a week and both visits were great. Staff were friendly. Both times wse checked in early morning but my room was not ready so had to store luggage which was taken to room when ready.

This will be my preferred hotel in Shenzhen from now on.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank OzScotty
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My friends and I were all really impressed with how the lobby looked when we first walked into here, even more impressed when we each got to our rooms, nice, clean, big and spacious, wasn't expecting anything less.

Pool was excellent, the patio area by the pool is really nice, workout facilities are great, I have nothing to negative to say about the service and quality of this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jarett L
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a first class hotel in a good location. Shenzhen is much like any other modern city, and a bit like Hong Kong’s poor and less exciting cousin. Most of the people who travel to Shenzhen are there on business since there is little of historic or cultural value, okay, there’s nothing of historic or cultural value. There are restaurants, good shopping, and high rise office buildings. If you find yourself going through Shenzhen though, the JW is a good choice, most particularly because the concierge service there is excellent. The gentlemen who assisted me spoke fluent (albeit quirky) English and they were genuinely interested in helping me get where I needed to go, eat what I was craving, and be comfortable in the room.
They have a huge breakfast buffet, which is helpful if you find yourself needing a little western food first thing in the morning. It is not cheap 170 rbm (divide by 6.3 for dollars), bus since all other meals and expenses where inexpensive it was easy to manage that luxury.
The beds were comfortable, the TV and wifi worked, the bathrooms were spotless. The shower was top notch. The only complaint was when you opened the hotel room door all of the lights went on in the room. This is not preferable if someone is sleeping. Since I rise before most people, and usually sneak out of the room in the dark to find coffee or tea, every time I opened the door no matter what time, all the lights in the room went on. Management told me that there was a way around this, but we tried all of their suggestions and it didn’t matter: open door – lights on! So plan to go to bed and wake up at the same time with your traveling companion. Otherwise, this is a really lovely place. A little pricey, I felt, based on the prices in the surrounding area, but very well managed and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank serra6225
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Marketing Communications Officer at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear serra6225,

Thank you for staying at JW Marriott Shenzhen during your recent visit to Shenzhen, and for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for the Lights problem, and please rest assured the issue has been resolved following a thorough technical check.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Marketing Communication Officer

Reviewed October 31, 2011

i only had one quick night here in shenzhen on my way to hong kong after a late night in donguan, but the JW never fails in its comfort and service. We had a club floor, and even after arriving close to closing time, the lounge staff dutifully kept it open so we could eat dinner and have a drink. the breakfast was also nicely stocked in the lounge. a great hotel in convenient location for shenzhen.

Room Tip: get a club floor room, the lounge is great.
1  Thank Bobbyz51

Dear Bobbyz51,

Thank you for staying at JW Marriott Shenzhen and for sharing your compliments of Executive Lounge.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

With best wishes

Carissa Wang

Reviewed October 28, 2011

What can I say? It's another fantastic JW with an extremely helpful amazing staff, huge rooms with all the amenities, fast internet, excellent executive lounge, and at a great location.

Dear CaptErnie ,

Thank you for choosing JW Marriott on your recent visit to Shenzhen, and we are pleased to hear of your compliments of our hotel.

Look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

There was a small snag when checking in. The staff asked me to wait 5-10 minutes while they check my room. 30 minutes later I walked up to the counter and she had forgotten about me. Being an elite member and all I did not appreciate this little oversight. Add to that I had been on the road for 10 days and exhausted.

Other than that, my stay was very good. Excellent location right in the middle of the city. I have appointments in all of the districts so it's great.

Concierge on the executive level was helpful and knowledgable. Even if you are not a frequent guest do yourself a favor and upgrade. The free internet and free food and drinks will more than make up for the higher price. As others have mentioned wifi is super fast compared to anywhere in the country and you don't have to worry about the great firewall. I will definitely come back.

Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear of some service issue with your last stay, and we will improve our service standard and management to ensure a similar mistake is not repeated.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmly

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times while visiting clients in the Shenzhen area and I find this hotel to be consistently amazing. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.

The rooms are both roomy and very comfortable. I sleep well, plenty of room for work. The Internet Service is excellent ... good bandwidth ... Skype and Google Voice works great. Connects via Hong Kong, so you have full access to all web sites outside of China.

On two of my past visits, I was upgraded to one of their deluxe rooms ... My jaw dropped when I saw it ... It was easily the size of an apartment in China !!!

I normally like to work out while traveling. The fitness center is better than many commercial gyms that I've used while traveling. Equipment is in excellent condition and is relatively high end.

The staff of the hotel is wonderful. Even though there is often 2-3 months between my visits, they often recognize me and greet me with a "Welcome Back". Almost all customer facing staff speaks surprisingly good English. I was pleasantly surprised that even the cleaning staff seems to understand enough English to assist with very basic requests ... a rarity at Chinese hotels, even many of the better ones.

The guys at the Concierge desk are best described as a bunch of "Fairy Godmothers", always both willing and able to help with request and offering great advice on local restaurants, getting around Shenzhen, even hotels in Hong Kong (other side of the border from Shenzhen).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
JWMarriott_Shenzhen, Marketing Communication Officer at JW Marriott Hotel Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Dear linzerhi ,

We really appreciate your feedback related to your most recent stay in our property and we delighted to read that your stay was amazing.

Thank you for praising our Concierge & HSKP staff for their professionalism.We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing stays for you

Marketing Communication Officer