“Great Hotel in Shenzhen - but Guangzhou Shangri-la is just Better”

Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen
Ranked #11 of 2,829 Hotels in Shenzhen
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a 2-night stay in Futian Shangri-la. It is strategically located in CBD of Shenzhen. Transport access is very convenient - Metro, Taxi, Buses are just a few steps away. Shopping malls are very close to the hotel.

I like the room setting very much. There is a doorway separating the entrance and bedroom, making the room more elegant. My room had a view to Civic Centre - the government complex of Shenzhen city, which was very great.

The cleanliness of the room is 5-star standard but Guangzhou Shangri-la did it just better. In fact I could not criticize Futian Shangri-la even by top of the class standard but Guangzhou did pay more attention to the details linen and washroom cleanliness of marble. A drawback was that I found neither USB ports were functioning and they were simply covered by a tape. It could be handled better.

Staff were attentive and efficient but again, Guangzhou Shangri-la was even more attentive and proactively asking my need - maybe there were fewer guests at that time. But at a whole Futian Shangri-la is top of the class in Shenzhen undoubtedly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michaelchs
Nicholas S, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Michaelchs,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. We value feedback from our guests and are happy to read that you enjoyed the elegant ambience and views of the Civic Centre against the backdrop of Lotus Hill Park from your guestroom. We are encouraged by your comments and will share it with our colleagues. We hope to welcome you back on your next business trip, or for a leisure trip as we are a convenient getaway from Hong Kong.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was staying in this hotel from 7th to 9th of feb 2013 in room # 1908 .The experience wasout of

the world. It was home away home the staff was particular in making us feel in that manner.

The food was very good with plenty of the varity .Rooms were large well maintained very clean.

The staffs were very helpful and all smiles.

The ambience is good over all my stay was excellent.

Room Tip: My room had a city view and very quite.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank paedia2010
Nicholas S, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Paedia2010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience in this review. We are so glad to hear that you felt at home at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen and that you enjoyed with our dining options and facilities. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Shenzhen.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Business this time, but what a little piece of paradise to return to after work. I am constantly amazed at the high service levels delivered through-out China, and again at the Shangri-la. Wish I could come back sooner, with such great food, well trained staff and high quality accomodation.
Congratulations, will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CountryCol

Dear CountryCol,

We are most delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your encouraging review. It will certainly help us in continuing to provide engaging hospitality from our heart. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed January 18, 2013

had a great stay at Shangrila, rooms were big, fully loaded, breakfast was good.. i was on business so used the Horizon club lounge for meetings... staff was very comfortable and helpful. only thing is that the travel desk at the business center over charged me for a ticket i booked by Rmb approx 400 ! . Generally its recommended to book a ticket in the hotel in China and not using a card on the internet and i got fleeced by the Hotel. Will surely be back !

Room Tip: stay in the club rooms on executive floors !
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ApurvGarg
Nicholas S, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear ApurvGarg,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. I am glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities at the Horizon Club. I would like to investigate the matter of your ticket purchase and would appreciate if you can e-mail your booking details to me at nicholas.smith@shangri-la.com at your convenience. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Shenzhen.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed in the Futian Shangri La for 8 days just before christmas on business, I stayed in a club suite on the 39th floor just under the chairmans penthouse but the room was usual for the Shangri La's very spacious, clean and quality furnishings. The view from the room was wonderful, unlike many hotels in Korea or China I have stayed in the view was very nice rather than the usual building site views.
The bed was very comfortable and I slep very well each night.
The club breakfast was very dissapointing for what i am used to in the Shangri La's but it was edible. However service there was very good.
As I was very busy with work i did not use many services but most important for the few hours i was there every day i was there in comfort and peace and quiet.
Every thing I need for a full on trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear BeachHunter_8,

We value feedback from our guests and were so happy to read that you had a wonderful stay at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. It was great to read that you found our rooms to be spacious, and that you enjoyed the view from your room. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on 25-26 Dec 2012 for one night in "Christmas & New Year Special package" and stayed here before around 2 years ago. I was suprised 2 years ago as all the service including the in-room check in is so attentive, great breakfast also, but 2 years later today I am also surprised that they can't keep the service as good as before.

The location is definitely great with the atmosphere of the room, lobby, very very nice decoration combining east meet west.

When I arrived at around 2pm to check in, at first they told me I was upgraded into a suite I felt absolute happy and appreciated. But problem happened when I was asked about the check out time. The package is clearly stated the rate includes a "Guaranteed late check-out at 4pm" on the confirmation email...

(Both of us are in Mandarin)
Staff: May I know around what time you will be checking out? Our standard time check out time is 12pm.
Me: Emmm, is that the package included a late check out till 4pm?!
Staff: Yes, but there's is a sentence stated in below said late check out subjected to availability only.
Me: So can I get a late check out till 4pm?
Staff: Yes, you can, but I need to state that our standard check in time is 12pm.

I was so shock when I heard that, I hope the staff serving you should be attentive when I reached a 5 star hotel, when the staff said something to you, should be based on your rate, package, that's what called "Attentive" but not mentioned what the standard check in time is. I was not arguing but what is the GUARANTEED mean in the package? Seriously the marks is deducted when I heard this sentence, what's the point of telling me the standard check out time is 12pm but actual I confirm got a 4pm late check out?

When I entered the suite, the room shape is somehow like diamond shape, one living room & one bedroom, it is huge. But the first thing I entered the living room, I found out some humid smell (maybe as wooden floor!?), the condition in bedroom is much better with a very nice lighting arrangement. I really like that. The problem happened when we sat in the living room for the whole evening, my girlfriend was so sensitive when the air is not so cleared and dusty, it made her running noise & cough for the whole night, but she felt a lot better when leaving the room and we were in lobby lounge. I also felt the air is dusty when I sat on the sofa.

Service is still my main concern, after checked in, since the package is with RMB500 F&B credit so we went to Lobby Lounge for a tea set. The staff was nice until the bill, I said I was an in-house guest in Rm 1723, she asked me to write down the room number & sign, so I signed the same as on the Registration Card. 15 seconds later she returned ask me to write down my Chinese name, so I did; after 15 seconds she returned again and asked me to sign in ENGLISH! What happened to her!? I asked her why as I don't have an English signature, she said she had to make sure is the in-house guest. SO WHY DON'T YOU ASK ME TO SHOW YOU ROOM KEY? & GO TO RECEPTION TO RECONFIRM MY SIGNATURE? Then I believe she did then I can leave after 3 mins waiting at the end with getting a note from the staff "It's ok now" standing 3 meters away from me.

On the next day we slept till late, we ordered room service at around 12:10pm with an English breakfast, one Ceasar Salad & one "Zen" burger, the male staff told us to wait for half an hour and should reach around 12:40, I said ok. We wait till 12:50pm, my girlfriend called to room service again and said it is on the way, and FINALLY the food is delivered successfully at 13:00, I hope the staff didn't get lost. But frankly, the food and the setting is really awesome! Big portion and tasty!

Upon check out at around 15:45 and we paid the bill, I received the receipt with over charge around RMB110, at first a male staff still informed me since the RMB 500 F&B credit is used up, we had to pay RMB 191 more. But then I asked a female staff we used up RMB580 only, why we need to pay RMB191 but not RMB80? She told me the RMB500 can only use up for one time only, then I questioned where did you state the condition? Then she told me the package is new so they didn't know so clearly. "WHAT!?" Afterwards she gave a phone call in between the reception to somehow and finally clarified. We paid RMB80 only at last.

Besides the incidents on above, it is really difficult to find the reception staff smile but the lobby lounge staff did! Personally feel they are a bit cool and look very serious when approaching the guests, I hope the hotel will face this seriously and don't waste what you have in hardware.

Shangri-La should be better.

Regards,
Mr. Mok (Room 1723, 25-26 Dec 2012)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay_Mok
SLFT, General Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Jay_Mok

I was very disappointed to read of the lapses in service during your recent stay with us. The service you received was clearly not up to our standard, and I am very sorry that we have let you down on this occasion.

I have investigated the issues mentioned with the relevant department heads and we have initiated training within the teams to ensure that such situations do not reoccur.

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to contact you directly so that I may personally address the issues mentioned with you. I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have the opportunity to win back your confidence in us.

Best Regards,
Emil Leung

Reviewed December 25, 2012

In general the entire trip was decent. Not only does the room clean, but also the food in the horizon is so good^^ However, the service is getting worse-- the servers are so easy to get pissed which you, as a customer, dont expect it. I came here long time ago where the service was pardise-like. But now, meh....

Room Tip: General speaking, the rooms in Futian Shangri-La are pretty good.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Calvin L

Dear Calvin L,

Thank you for your comments. Firstly, we would like to apologize for any service issues during your stay with us. As extending gracious hospitality from our hearts is our main priority, we are greatly concerned upon reading your review. We would like to find out more about the incident in order to ensure it does not happen again. Please contact me at emil.leung@shangri-la.com so that we can address this with you directly.

Yours sincerely,