“Quite Disappointed on Service.”

Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen
Ranked #16 of 2,792 Hotels in Shenzhen
Hong Kong, China
“Quite Disappointed on Service.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on 25-26 Dec 2012 for one night in "Christmas & New Year Special package" and stayed here before around 2 years ago. I was suprised 2 years ago as all the service including the in-room check in is so attentive, great breakfast also, but 2 years later today I am also surprised that they can't keep the service as good as before.

The location is definitely great with the atmosphere of the room, lobby, very very nice decoration combining east meet west.

When I arrived at around 2pm to check in, at first they told me I was upgraded into a suite I felt absolute happy and appreciated. But problem happened when I was asked about the check out time. The package is clearly stated the rate includes a "Guaranteed late check-out at 4pm" on the confirmation email...

(Both of us are in Mandarin)
Staff: May I know around what time you will be checking out? Our standard time check out time is 12pm.
Me: Emmm, is that the package included a late check out till 4pm?!
Staff: Yes, but there's is a sentence stated in below said late check out subjected to availability only.
Me: So can I get a late check out till 4pm?
Staff: Yes, you can, but I need to state that our standard check in time is 12pm.

I was so shock when I heard that, I hope the staff serving you should be attentive when I reached a 5 star hotel, when the staff said something to you, should be based on your rate, package, that's what called "Attentive" but not mentioned what the standard check in time is. I was not arguing but what is the GUARANTEED mean in the package? Seriously the marks is deducted when I heard this sentence, what's the point of telling me the standard check out time is 12pm but actual I confirm got a 4pm late check out?

When I entered the suite, the room shape is somehow like diamond shape, one living room & one bedroom, it is huge. But the first thing I entered the living room, I found out some humid smell (maybe as wooden floor!?), the condition in bedroom is much better with a very nice lighting arrangement. I really like that. The problem happened when we sat in the living room for the whole evening, my girlfriend was so sensitive when the air is not so cleared and dusty, it made her running noise & cough for the whole night, but she felt a lot better when leaving the room and we were in lobby lounge. I also felt the air is dusty when I sat on the sofa.

Service is still my main concern, after checked in, since the package is with RMB500 F&B credit so we went to Lobby Lounge for a tea set. The staff was nice until the bill, I said I was an in-house guest in Rm 1723, she asked me to write down the room number & sign, so I signed the same as on the Registration Card. 15 seconds later she returned ask me to write down my Chinese name, so I did; after 15 seconds she returned again and asked me to sign in ENGLISH! What happened to her!? I asked her why as I don't have an English signature, she said she had to make sure is the in-house guest. SO WHY DON'T YOU ASK ME TO SHOW YOU ROOM KEY? & GO TO RECEPTION TO RECONFIRM MY SIGNATURE? Then I believe she did then I can leave after 3 mins waiting at the end with getting a note from the staff "It's ok now" standing 3 meters away from me.

On the next day we slept till late, we ordered room service at around 12:10pm with an English breakfast, one Ceasar Salad & one "Zen" burger, the male staff told us to wait for half an hour and should reach around 12:40, I said ok. We wait till 12:50pm, my girlfriend called to room service again and said it is on the way, and FINALLY the food is delivered successfully at 13:00, I hope the staff didn't get lost. But frankly, the food and the setting is really awesome! Big portion and tasty!

Upon check out at around 15:45 and we paid the bill, I received the receipt with over charge around RMB110, at first a male staff still informed me since the RMB 500 F&B credit is used up, we had to pay RMB 191 more. But then I asked a female staff we used up RMB580 only, why we need to pay RMB191 but not RMB80? She told me the RMB500 can only use up for one time only, then I questioned where did you state the condition? Then she told me the package is new so they didn't know so clearly. "WHAT!?" Afterwards she gave a phone call in between the reception to somehow and finally clarified. We paid RMB80 only at last.

Besides the incidents on above, it is really difficult to find the reception staff smile but the lobby lounge staff did! Personally feel they are a bit cool and look very serious when approaching the guests, I hope the hotel will face this seriously and don't waste what you have in hardware.

Shangri-La should be better.

Regards,
Mr. Mok (Room 1723, 25-26 Dec 2012)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay_Mok
SLFT, General Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Jay_Mok

I was very disappointed to read of the lapses in service during your recent stay with us. The service you received was clearly not up to our standard, and I am very sorry that we have let you down on this occasion.

I have investigated the issues mentioned with the relevant department heads and we have initiated training within the teams to ensure that such situations do not reoccur.

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to contact you directly so that I may personally address the issues mentioned with you. I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have the opportunity to win back your confidence in us.

Best Regards,
Emil Leung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, California
Reviewed December 25, 2012

In general the entire trip was decent. Not only does the room clean, but also the food in the horizon is so good^^ However, the service is getting worse-- the servers are so easy to get pissed which you, as a customer, dont expect it. I came here long time ago where the service was pardise-like. But now, meh....

Room Tip: General speaking, the rooms in Futian Shangri-La are pretty good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Calvin L
Dear Calvin L,

Thank you for your comments. Firstly, we would like to apologize for any service issues during your stay with us. As extending gracious hospitality from our hearts is our main priority, we are greatly concerned upon reading your review. We would like to find out more about the incident in order to ensure it does not happen again. Please contact me at emil.leung@shangri-la.com so that we can address this with you directly.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel service was very good. The room is good size and very comfortable. The bath room is nice but not as impressive as other 5-star hotel. Overall, the room is true to the hotel website pictures.

The location is excellent. The hotel is next to a big shopping Mall - Center City, and the metro station Exhibition Center. There are a lot of restaurants around the hotel and it is easy to get around town. The area is clean and safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TXwonderer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Shenzhen.

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This is my husband's favorite business hotel in Shenzhen. I accompanied him here for a brief stay there recently. Service was excellent, as Ive come to expect from Shangri-la staff. The room, on the 30th floor had a stunning view of the financial district, and was large and comfortable. Baths were spa like with rainforest showers and separate soaking tubs. Perfect for tall Laowai (westerners) looking to soak away jetlag. Room service is okay, but if you can muster the energy, go for the buffet restaurant in the hotel. It featured loads of fresh sushi, whole seafood cooked in front of you, a noodle bar, veggies, and a great dessert station. Overall, great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
SLFT, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Globetrottingjulia,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write this lovely review. We value feedback from our guests and are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Shenzhen.

Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have always stayed at the Shangri-La Louhu when in Shenzhen, but because of the proximity to my meetings, I decided to try the Futian Shangr-la. It was AMAZING!

The first advantage was it's short distance from the Hong Kong border. I arrived at HKIA at around 9.30pm. I caught a mini-bus to the border, crossed through into the mainland and was met by the mini-bus company operator on the China side. I immediately got into another mini-bus for a very short five minute ride to the hotel.

I stay on the Horizon level, where I make full use of the excellent meeting facilities. I used the complementary meeting room with suppliers. I used the computers and printers, all free.

After a long day of meetings, it was a pleasure to return to the hotel for a snack and a glass of wine and beer in the Horizon Club. The servie is beyond belief. I had a cold, so Frederick brought me a concoction of coke and ginger to fix my cough. I did not ask for it. It worked wonders. All the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful.

The room was extremely comfortable and well appointed. everything worked perfectly.

I even found time for a little shopping at the nearby Coco Mall; only three minutes walk.

I will be back!

Room Tip: I prefer a Horizon Level room from which I can walk to the lounge and do not need to get into an ele...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SLFT, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear HappyHackerNo1,

Thank you for taking time to write a positive review of Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. We are delighted that you had an amazing stay with us and had the opportunity to enjoy the benefits we offer our Horizon Club guests. We will be sure to convey your kind comments to our colleagues who extended hospitality from their hearts, in particular Frederick. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours Sincerely,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night on business. This was my first stay at this hotel although I have stayed frequently in the Shangri-La in Kowloon. This hotel is will situated in a bustling area of Shenzhen with lots of choices of places to eat close by. It is a beautiful and very comfortable hotel, perfect for the business traveller. I ended up being put into a suite on the 29th floor. It was very big and very comfortable. The hotel staff was eager to assist. it was nice to see the resident manager in the lobby greeting guests and seeing everything was OK. The buffet breakfast was up to the Shangri La's high standards. The only hiccup, and it was a minor one, was that there was an erroneous charge on my bill and getting it corrected took quite some time as the desk staff seemed confused. But it was finally corrected.

I usually stay at the Sheraton in Shenzhen but this Shangri La, with its location and service, will be my destination on future trips to the area.

Stayed October 2012
2 Thank In2exploring
SLFT, Resident Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Ln2exlporing,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. I am delighted that my team and I were able to provide you with a pleasant stay. I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you visit Shenzhen.

Your sincerely,
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

i stayed here for three nights whilst on business in july. im very impressed with this hotel. if you are in the city...you must stay here. it just makes your business trip that much kroe enjoyable.staff are very helpful and friendly. big thumbs up!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank ahmed32
Dear ahmed32,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Futian Shangri-La, Shenzhen. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sncerely,