“Excellent service and rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen

Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen
Ranked #12 of 2,738 Hotels in Shenzhen
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent service and rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

after an exhausting trip from mumbai to hongkong to shenzhen ( the last leg by car), checking into the shangri la was heaven
The staff was extremely courteous, Rooms are excelent...we got upgraded to a suite (yippie)
the rooms are extremely clean, spacious , but not much of a view
There is an excellent mall which is across the road and great shopping there.
a lot of food joints near hotel in case you dont want to eat at the hotel

only problem, the restaurants shut by 11 at nite and if you plan to go to the night market....u will not even get a drink!!!( the bartender had left for the day)

Other than that, excellent hotel and great staff - perfect for business and leisure trips!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

In Nov 2010 my husband Bill and I moved into one of the service apartments at the Futian Shangri-La. We have now lived here for 3 months, so have a solid view of this hotel… This one is easy. In a word, the Futian Shangri-La is WONDERFUL.

I am currently working for IBM on an international assignment. My husband is retired and has joined me on our China adventure. So I am frantically dashing off to work every day and he is “home” enjoying getting to know the city. We both appreciate and enjoy our Futian Shangri-La home – so we can say, it’s great for BOTH the business traveler AND the leisure/vacation crowd.

Our apartment is PERFECT. Tastefully decorated and plenty of room for the two of us. I have and appreciate my office where I can get away from everything, really concentrate and get so much done.

The lobby lounge is very impressive: beautifully decorated, spacious, and comfortable! The lobby entertainment is just GREAT. The afternoon strings on weekends are soothing. The Christmas tree lighting ceremony was just delightful! The hotel sponsored “events” take full advantage of the lobby space. Every evening (Mon-Sat), the Musicats, a small but amazingly talented group, play from 8PM-12M. We will be sad when their contract is up in April!

We have access to the Horizon Club lounge, the Shangri-La Executive lounge. This has been a huge bonus for us! I am working every day so I leave early and come home late. A nice hot breakfast is the PERFECT start to the day, and then happy hour at night is just delightful. The environment and ambiance are comfortable, warm, and just lovely. The menu changes regularly with a good combination of really delicious and varied options. The portion sizes are snack size – which is just right! It allows me to have a little bit of several things without feeling guilty. And though many items are served buffet style, the usual issues encountered with a buffet are avoided due to excellent monitoring and management:
• Serving stations are not stuffed full creating the “bottom of the barrel” negative effect, but sufficient servings are available for a rush.
• Each station is monitored to refresh with fresh, new servings on a very regular basis. You may find the occasional empty serving station, but it is very quickly replenished. As a result:
o Hot things are appropriately hot, cold things are appropriately cold.
o Items do not become stale or dry.
• And things are refilled right up until the end of service. A late comer is NEVER stuck with old, dry rejects and empty serving stations.

Fitness center is great! Gym is open 24 hours (though only staffed from 6AM through 9 or 10 pm). I usually hit the elliptical at about 5:15-5:30AM and take full advantage of the individual TVs with headsets to catch up on CNN or BBC or CNBC news. Machines are always in good shape and usually available, even at peak hours. The pool is excellent, though they do require bathing caps. The dressing room is AMAZING! It includes a team room (with this ice bath for after – brrrrrr), Sauna, and Jacuzzi aside from the usual showers, etc. The two outdoor tennis courts (extra fee) are convenient, but we recommend you book ahead especially on weekends.

But it is the staff who make the Shangri-La so special.
• Shangri-La upper management (From GM Emil, down his organizational structure … Coco, Jing to name a couple of standouts!) set a high standard of customer service, customer focus, and excellence in delivery.
• Matthew, Executive chef, is always out and about checking on things at all of the food “venues”, lending a hand in a rush, monitoring & gently coaching his staff, answering questions, asking guests for recommendations for improvement and just observing the presentation and service to strive for increased excellence.
• Jill, Horizon Club manager, sets the overall tone: totally professional, amazingly competent, manages with confidence, customer focused, and misses NOTHING but she is also warm, sweet, and welcoming. She models those values & coaches her staff to reflect those values as well: customer service and establishing a comfortable, welcoming “home.”
• The Horizon Club staff are outstanding and in constant motion. They deliver high quality service with a smile and that extra personal touch. Crystal’s humor – John’s tidbits of news – Cindy’s shared excitement about her vacation home… They are our “China” family.
• The housekeepers constantly monitor the room for anything that needs to be done. And it IS done, without asking – without issue. Yes, of course, the usual towels, linens, etc… But I have come back to our place to find the laundry folded! Or the floor buffed after a party!
• And it is indeed our home. We are warmly and genuinely greeted every day! The staff at the front desk, concierge, and elevators know our names and send me off in the morning with a kind word and big smile. And the greeting is just as nice when I drag back in after a long day… and head up to the horizon club where the staff spoil us rotten. Not bad, eh?
And I could go on and on… There are just so many terrific people! Each is so special and works to ensure we are comfortable and happy in our China home.

That is not to say nothing has gone wrong over the past few months. Yes, there have been the occasional communication breakdown, maintenance issue or service misstep. That happens everywhere. My point is, those issues are few and far between and fixed very quickly.

There is a learning culture here that is focused on continuous improvement and excellence. The cross-training program and planned staff rotations to other positions and other locations to learn, grow, and build organizational capability is very impressive.

In talking with other guests, this is not just unique to us because we live here. This is the overall impression – PERIOD. I have been traveling on business for many years. The Shangri-La brand is a very unique and wonderful experience for even the most jaded travel-warriors! And the Futian Shangri-La is very clearly the top tier within this excellent brand.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stayed for 1 night again during the New Year while the room in Hong Kong is extremely high. Services is wonderful as always. Location is also very convenience. Just one stop betwwen the hotel to Futian boarder by metro. I will defintely stay in this hotel again next time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kexocp
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I reserved a "Deluxe Park View" non-smoking room, but was assigned a room looking over a construction site, and you could hear some of the construction noises.

As their Golden Circle member, I'm supposed to be able to check in early at 11:00 am, but was told that the room was still not ready at 12:30 pm. I requested to change to a room with "Park View" as reserved, but was told that the Hotel is surrounded by construction sites on all three sides, with closure of pedestrian sidewalks and some roads leading to the Hotel, making it difficult for cars to enter and exit and dangerous for Hotel guests to walk. Most hotels would post such information on their reservation website for transparency and best practice, but not Futian Shangri-La in Shenzhen.

The Front Desk finally called at 6:00 pm that a different room is available, but it's 6 floors lower, with the construction noise more audible, and it's smaller and filled with the stench of heavy cigarette smoke, though it was a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor. So I politely declined, and opted to stay in the originally assigned room after waiting six hours.

When I requested turn-down service and refreshing the room, dirty towels left in the tub were still left there untouched, garbage was not taken out, tissue and drinking water was not replenished. Only the bed comforter was turned down, that's all. I could have done that myself.

Breakfast in the morning was like a war zone, with only one outlet. The restaurant was very noisy and crowded. Guests have to wait for their table, coffee, and missed orders of food... People walked out without signing their bills, waiters chasing after them,...... Very chaotic, definitely not a place to talk business or have a breakfast meeting!

It's definitely not the Shangri-La service that we used to experience and expect.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
SLFT-Comms, Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
Thank you for sharing your review of our property, Travel_Sharing1. We are very concerned to read your comments with regards to your disappointing experience whilst here and apologize for the shortcomings in service you found. We will certainly look into the events you have described with all the Managers concerned so to improve. If possible we would much appreciate the opportunity to have you stay with us again so to win back your faith in our establishment. I would also much appreciate it if you could contact me directly with regards to this recent visit. Please contact me at slft@shangri-la.com so that we can address this issue with you directly.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

A nice hotel, brand new , not sure about the location as I didnt go out , but the rooms where very nice and the service was the normal shangri la standard but for one thing..........

One check in, the bell boy carried my bag as is normal , on arrival into the room , he asked if I would like a "in room massage", I said no thanks, but if I did I would call the spa, he said "no I will bring outside girl" , I do not need to go ino details but I refused , personally I do not expect this type of service from a shangri la hotel and for that reason alone I would not stay there again

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank travelalot064
SLFT-Comms, Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, October 31, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the incident you describe and are greatly disappointed that you were treated in this way. This is extremely concerning and we are conducting an investigation as to what has happened here. We would much appreciate it if you would be willing to contact me in this regard. Please contact me at slft@shangri-la.com or (86 755) 8828 4088 so that I can discuss this with you directly. Again please accept my personal apologies on behalf of the hotel for this event which I assure you does not reflect our usual high levels of service and the dedication of our team.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed at the Shangri-La Futian for 2 nights while on business in Shenzhen. This property is lovely. The rooms are large and spacious. The bathroom was really nice with a separate tub and shower - really big. The breakfast buffet was quite good. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I was almost sad to leave.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Tuusula, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Hotel is very, very good but still not quite up to the level of the absolute best hotels in the world service-wise. They are clearly trying very hard, though. Review based on a four night stay in September’10 (background of spending 80+ nights per year in different hotels around the globe)

Location:
Hotel is located downtown in the crossroad of the two metro lines with the nearest station entrance maybe 200m away. Majority of this 200m trip can be done indoors via Central Walk mall, so quite convenient also in the hot & humid weather.

Immediate neighborhood consists of offices & construction site but almost next door is the large high-end Central Walk mall with some restaurants & bars and numerous shops. Starbucks located 50m from the hotel entrance.

Room:
I had a Horizon Executive Suite in 35th floor and it was simply the best hotel room I’ve ever had, also by far the biggest with whopping 96 square meters. You could easily seat 10+ people in the living room. Large bathroom and also a separate WC. Good sound insulation, didn’t hear anything from the other rooms. Two large LCD TVs (one in living room, one in bedroom) and also a smaller one in the bathroom..

Etc:
Impressive, beautiful large lobby with high ceiling & waterfall.

Good, roomy Horizon Club lounge in the 37th floor with nice views around the hotel. Breakfast was quite nice with a variety of hot Chinese offerings & the normal fruit etc. One minor complaint though regarding the lounge: coffee tasted just like any other normal “machine coffee”, made me a tea drinker there.

Unfortunately pool was located indoors, otherwise it was a very good & large pool including also “massage chairs” in the water. Health club has a relatively good Finnish sauna, steam room and whirlpool.

If I have to look for any negative points only minor issue I can think of is the efficiency of service compared to the top 5* hotels in the region (such as Hong Kong Shangri-Las or Conrad). For example check-in took more than 5 minutes, arranging transportation required quite a long discussions etc. Sometimes it was down to small language related issues, sometimes perhaps simply more to do with lack of experience. Again, this was only a minor issue, nothing really to complain about as such since everything was arranged eventually and everybody tried to do their best all the time.

Would I return there?
Yeah for sure, great value for money even though it wasn’t quite “110% perfect” as such

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dadsasdasd
SLFT, Manager at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences from your recent stay at Futian Shangri-La Shenzhen.

Your comments are extremely valuable in helping us to maintain a high level of service and ensure that our guest’s expectations are met on each visit. We strive hard to continuously improve and to use all the feedback that we receive.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your time here and that you were impressed with our facilities. It is true that some of our colleagues have a greater fluency in English than others and to improve this we have a language laboratory here in the hotel along with our own teachers so to help our team to practice.

We have taken the liberty of sharing your compliments with our colleagues as we wish to thank them for a job well done.

We hope very much that we will have the chance to welcome you back again when you next visit our city.