“Pretty Good for a Smaller-City China Hotel”

Regency Hotel Shantou
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Shantou
Saginaw, Michigan
“Pretty Good for a Smaller-City China Hotel”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I'm giving this place 5 stars because I don't think there's a better hotel in Shantou. I probably couldn't have wanted more in a hotel, given my location, so by default it was perfect.

I booked an Executive Floor room...I don't think I'd do that again--breakfast was included and was served in the 27th floor lounge. Most other executive/club level floors have evening snacks and drinks--this place did not...That was a little disappointing. The breakfast was pretty weak--everything looked old--I was the only person in the lounge all 3 of my days there. They did make me an omelet which wasn't bad.

The lobby is huge and modern...Well appointed. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated and rather comfortable--keeping in mind this is China and almost all beds in China are rock hard and uncomfortable...The bathroom was nice, the TV was small but had 7-8 English channels.

Some complaints below about the lack of free water in the room. I was brought 2 small bottles nightly, however, facing the check-in desk, the exit towards the right, there's a small pastry shop--water is RMB4.00 each there.

In summary, will surely stay here again when I return to Shantou. Good hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
australia
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed in an Executive room of this hotel while we have stayed in many hotels in China ranging from 2 star to 5 star, we were surprised, by this being the first hotel that l we have uncounted that did not supply bottle water, and were charged 30rmb for a bottle, outrageous!!! The Internet did not work , luckily we had booked 2 rooms so we could use it in the other room. By the way this also had a charge of 30rmb. The room service was a difficult experience, as no one spoke English. I also found the service substandard, no one looked happy to serve you
Rooms are ok but they charge for everything. We will look for another hotel on our return to this city.
side note: Smallest TV I have seen in a hotel room

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank soapsud
Beijing, China
Reviewed September 15, 2009

While the room rate was pretty good, they rip you off with everything else. Bottled Water in the lounge: 16RMB, bottled water in the room 30RMB!!! (And there is no complimentary drinking water) Tea in the lounge was 78RMB for 3 people, and we drank standard tea, not the super expensive stuff. Quite outrageous.

The bed was quite hard, and I had difficulty sleeping on it. The carpet was somewhat dirty. Overall, it was acceptable for the price, and it was convenient for the meetings I was attending. Just don't eat or drink anything in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gt4877c
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I booked the Executive room on the 27th Floor; took my wife and 2 1/2 year old son. The Hotel is GORGEOUS; very big with many shops inside. On the 27th Floor, there's a coffee room available for all who booked for that Floor. (Coffee is free and newspapers are available). The staff was very attentive to my son !!
If there is any negative thing to say it is to be careful when you 'get a deal' online for this hotel. Yes, you CAN get a reduced rate at a Fantastic Hotel. Just be sure you are prepared to be nickeled-and-dimed to death for everything there (including napkins at the dinner table). Once you are aware of this activity, you will be okay.
I doubt I will ever go to Shantou again; however if I DID go to that area again, I would be sure to look up the Regency Hotel for my stay.

Dr. Phil
University Professor
China

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I was in Shantou on business, early in Oct. This is a very busy time in Shantou, with many buyers visiting the factories, getting ready for fall 2009 business.
I have stayed at the Regency before, and always found it to be a very nice, well run hotel, that does a good job catering to it's Western customers.
Many of the staff speak English, well enough, to be able to help if there is a problem.
The buffet breakfast in the morning, has a nice variety of food choices, from omelettes to Asian specialities.
My room was large, and clean. I would have loved to have had CNN on my TV, but it is not available.
As a woman, traveling alone, I think this is a good place to stay.
Shantou, does not have any Western chain hotels, so this is the best alternative.
NSR

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing near by, to go to at night
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Swaino2
Singapore
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I am in Shantou on business and stayed in this hotel last night.

It looks pretty impressive from the outside, and I was quite pleased with the room when I first entered. In the evening I did see a medium sized cockroach climbing up the wall (which was quickly despatched to hell by my shoe)

I ordered room service last night, which was a struggle as always in China. I ordered a hamburger and apart from being slightly brown on the outside, the meat was completely raw. Didnt bother to complain though, it's too much like hard work being a non Chinese speaker.

If anyone is into this sort of thing, at 10pm a rather attractive girl rang on my doorbell and offered me sexual services for 600 RMB.
She said she was from the hotel sauna. When I said no thanks she asked if I wanted another girl sent up instead.
I wonder if this happens to all male guests, or maybe the lady at room service REALLY misunderstood my order!

So anyway I went to bed (alone) and discovered it was quite hard (the bed, not anything else). This was disappointing as I had been looking forward to a good nights sleep. As it was I woke up at 5.30 am and didnt sleep again.

My room without breakfast was less than 500 RMB, but internet is extra and there are little irritations like no free drinking water available (you have to purchase a bottle from the minibar for 30 RMB - which is more than a bottle of Heineken!)

I have stayed in a lot lot worse hotels than this one, but I was just disappointed after my first sight of the hotel and thinking this was going to be a top class stay.

Service was pretty good though. And I don't mean the lady of the night, I didnt take her up on her offer, honest!

• Liked — It looks posh from the outside and at the lobby
  • Disliked — The bed was too hard and my burger was raw
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business