“Happy to be here”
Review of Golden Gulf Hotel

Golden Gulf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 199 Hotels in Shantou
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I am currently staying here based on Trip Advisor reviews and i am not disappointed. I got a good rate for a Club Level room. Like other people have said, it has Walmart and shopping centre behind but be prepared for a shock - the whole area behind the hotel looks like a bomb site, buildings are being pulled down and you to have to dodge motor scooters coming from all directions. The internet is extremely fast (the room has a modem, you just have to disconnect hotel computer already on desk). Of course this is an area with few western visitors so don't expect 5 star, breakfast is pretty ordinary but there are many restaurants of different styles on the ground floor, staff quite friendly, English not so good but adequate if you need any help, they do speak good Cantonese & Mandarin. Taxi drivers in the city are the worst behaved I have seen anywhere in China, there are few of them and they stand over you like the mafia but if you don't mind paying a little extra they are OK, local told me they have an attitude problem and I can see that for myself. To come from airport to here I had to pay 250 RMB, was night time, I had no choice as very few taxis, journey took nearly an hour. Apparently should have cost closer to 100 RMB but the way I saw it was similar to taxi price from Shanghai Pudong, I was tired and just wanted to go to hotel. I would rate the hotel above average for a Chinese hotel in a non-tourist area, my rating says very good but I'd give it 3.5 rather than 4, I had to choose between average and very good on the trip adviser ratings.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are more expensive but much better
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank See-Tai-Fan
There are newer reviews for Golden Gulf Hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Golden Gulf hotel did refurbish some rooms starting from the end of last year. I stayed in such a renewed room and I have to say that it has been done with taste, but the overall workmanship was not up to the standard of that kind of hotel. In my bathroom the joint around the bathtub was already cracked at different places so that in less of one year it will look 10 years old. The furniture looks cosy but when you open the drawers the poor quality becomes obvious. How long time will these drawers and doors last ? Probably less than 3 years...
The other bad point of this hotel are the restaurants. The Chinese restaurant closes at 9:00 PM and the food at the Western restaurant in far below average. The breakfast is also not outstanding and the service is really lousy. There are a lot of waiters but they spend their time chatting with each other and in the meantime the customers are waiting for coffee and the buffet is half empty.
If you go to Shantou the Golden Gulf hotel remains a quite good deal if you can get a renewed room and eat outside.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. There is shopping around the area. The room was clean. The bellboys were friendly and helpful. We were waiting for the driver we engaged and one of the bellboys came up to us and told us he has seen our driver who has gone to the washroom.

The con is that the cleaning staff is not very good. I left a cup of coffee half drank and went out. I came back at night the cup of coffee was still sitting on the desk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jona04
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went to Shantou to attend friends' wedding, and they booked a room in this hotel for us.

The location is quite convenient. It locates in a main street. The road behind the hotel leads to Parkson shopping mall. And there are a lot of local restaurants and a Walt-mart supermarket around it. However, the whole area does not look very luxury or top-end.

There are several restaurants and bars on G/F of the hotel. On the night right after my friends' wedding, I had drink (green tea) with one of my university schoolmates in the lounge bar. And the next morning, I had Chaozhou style morning tea with another schoolmate in university in the Chinese restaurant on G/F. It was very convenient for me to choose and I didn't find any food rather untasted.

The room is comfortable. There is green plant in the room, which is quite rare during my experience in many hotels.

We just stayed for one night, so didn't have much special feelings about it. It is a traditional hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charron
Reviewed December 13, 2012

During my recent stay, I exchanged currency with the front desk several times. On the final day, I was given fake 100 yuan notes. I do not know how many fake I was given but the taxi driver identified two. I may have passed more unknowingly to other parties. When we notified the hotel, we were told that the front desk verify with a currency detector (this was not done). We informed the hotel to investigate as there may be a racket using the hotel as a front to pass out fake currencies but they did not respond to our request. This is a TERRIBLE experience, and if this is happening, how can I trust the hotel with all my personal belongings left in the hotel room???

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTh36o
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here although the first impression of the dirty carpets wasn't very good.

Positives - Spacious room, reliable internet and good friendly reception staff.
Negatives - dirty carpet, people touting for business in the lobby.

Overall I would stay here again and probably will on future business trips.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DoubleA_8
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I think this is the best hotel in Shantou.Price is affordable,good location.(just next to Packson Shopping Centre) Clean room. service is 5 Star.Butler Miss Molly very helpful.Tour desk next to the reception very useful and helpful.I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple