“Convenient”
Review of Golden Gulf Hotel

Golden Gulf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 199 Hotels in Shantou
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. There is shopping around the area. The room was clean. The bellboys were friendly and helpful. We were waiting for the driver we engaged and one of the bellboys came up to us and told us he has seen our driver who has gone to the washroom.

The con is that the cleaning staff is not very good. I left a cup of coffee half drank and went out. I came back at night the cup of coffee was still sitting on the desk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jona04

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went to Shantou to attend friends' wedding, and they booked a room in this hotel for us.

The location is quite convenient. It locates in a main street. The road behind the hotel leads to Parkson shopping mall. And there are a lot of local restaurants and a Walt-mart supermarket around it. However, the whole area does not look very luxury or top-end.

There are several restaurants and bars on G/F of the hotel. On the night right after my friends' wedding, I had drink (green tea) with one of my university schoolmates in the lounge bar. And the next morning, I had Chaozhou style morning tea with another schoolmate in university in the Chinese restaurant on G/F. It was very convenient for me to choose and I didn't find any food rather untasted.

The room is comfortable. There is green plant in the room, which is quite rare during my experience in many hotels.

We just stayed for one night, so didn't have much special feelings about it. It is a traditional hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charron
Reviewed December 13, 2012

During my recent stay, I exchanged currency with the front desk several times. On the final day, I was given fake 100 yuan notes. I do not know how many fake I was given but the taxi driver identified two. I may have passed more unknowingly to other parties. When we notified the hotel, we were told that the front desk verify with a currency detector (this was not done). We informed the hotel to investigate as there may be a racket using the hotel as a front to pass out fake currencies but they did not respond to our request. This is a TERRIBLE experience, and if this is happening, how can I trust the hotel with all my personal belongings left in the hotel room???

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTh36o
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here although the first impression of the dirty carpets wasn't very good.

Positives - Spacious room, reliable internet and good friendly reception staff.
Negatives - dirty carpet, people touting for business in the lobby.

Overall I would stay here again and probably will on future business trips.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DoubleA_8
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I think this is the best hotel in Shantou.Price is affordable,good location.(just next to Packson Shopping Centre) Clean room. service is 5 Star.Butler Miss Molly very helpful.Tour desk next to the reception very useful and helpful.I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arjunmary
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I go to Shantou once every year for Business and I've stayed at the Regency Hotel. This hotel is much better than the Regency Hotel, The front desk was very friendly, the western breakfast is served on a separate restaurant (which I liked very much), the beds are much softer than on the Regency Hotel, and It's located in Downtown , which is a plus. The gym needs an upgrade. I stayed at the Top floor rooms, which were huge, and recently renovated. In all a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank viptravel52
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I stayed in a suite and it was very spacious, clean and room service was excellent. The maid went out of her way to clean our messy room and hung all our wet clothes, put them on a rack that faced the window so our clothes would dry quickly

The travel service next to the check-in counter was very good. We bought airline tickets to fly to ShanTou and it was very easy - well, assuming you speak Chinese. My Chinese was passable for a foreigner so I was able to get what I wanted across but the staff spoke very little English. The place opens until midnight, I think.

There was another travel service nearby the elevators - I think this travel service caters more to group tours and when I tried to buy a train ticket from GuangZhou to Hong Kong, they told me that there was a surcharge of 30 RMB per ticket (190 RMB). This works out to be 15% of the regular ticket price. I just bought the tickets for my family at the train station and saved my family $120 RMB.

The buffet is not very appetizing. We arrived late (about 8 PM) and the food didn't look fresh and the selection was pretty limited. My daughters and I decided to walk and had dinner at a fast food place called Turbo, a block or two from the hotel. They had pictures on the menu so my daughters could just point and order since they can't speak Mandarin

Internet access is free in the room but it's wired, not WiFi (Ethernet cable is provided) A little bit inconvenient but it sure beats paying $10/hour ($80 USD / 24 hour, I think) as I had to pay when I stayed at the Hyatt in Hong Kong. You'd think that at $120 USD per day for a room, one would get free WiFi but the Hyatt sure knows how to milk its customers.

Taxis service is readily available. Some taxi drivers will not turn on the meter so beware.

Within a block or two of the hotel is a Walmart. It's huge and you can buy fresh fruits there as well.

Within a 5-10 minute drive is the night market (it costs about 10 RMB to take a taxi there). This is a good place to take the kids shopping for junkets in the evening and it stretches out almost a city block. We bought two no-name wrist watches for $3 USD / watch and, amazingly, it's still keeping good time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family