“Best value for money”
Review of Golden Gulf Hotel

Golden Gulf Hotel
Ranked #3 of 199 Hotels in Shantou
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I think this is the best hotel in Shantou.Price is affordable,good location.(just next to Packson Shopping Centre) Clean room. service is 5 Star.Butler Miss Molly very helpful.Tour desk next to the reception very useful and helpful.I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arjunmary

Reviewed November 7, 2010

I go to Shantou once every year for Business and I've stayed at the Regency Hotel. This hotel is much better than the Regency Hotel, The front desk was very friendly, the western breakfast is served on a separate restaurant (which I liked very much), the beds are much softer than on the Regency Hotel, and It's located in Downtown , which is a plus. The gym needs an upgrade. I stayed at the Top floor rooms, which were huge, and recently renovated. In all a great experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank viptravel52
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I stayed in a suite and it was very spacious, clean and room service was excellent. The maid went out of her way to clean our messy room and hung all our wet clothes, put them on a rack that faced the window so our clothes would dry quickly

The travel service next to the check-in counter was very good. We bought airline tickets to fly to ShanTou and it was very easy - well, assuming you speak Chinese. My Chinese was passable for a foreigner so I was able to get what I wanted across but the staff spoke very little English. The place opens until midnight, I think.

There was another travel service nearby the elevators - I think this travel service caters more to group tours and when I tried to buy a train ticket from GuangZhou to Hong Kong, they told me that there was a surcharge of 30 RMB per ticket (190 RMB). This works out to be 15% of the regular ticket price. I just bought the tickets for my family at the train station and saved my family $120 RMB.

The buffet is not very appetizing. We arrived late (about 8 PM) and the food didn't look fresh and the selection was pretty limited. My daughters and I decided to walk and had dinner at a fast food place called Turbo, a block or two from the hotel. They had pictures on the menu so my daughters could just point and order since they can't speak Mandarin

Internet access is free in the room but it's wired, not WiFi (Ethernet cable is provided) A little bit inconvenient but it sure beats paying $10/hour ($80 USD / 24 hour, I think) as I had to pay when I stayed at the Hyatt in Hong Kong. You'd think that at $120 USD per day for a room, one would get free WiFi but the Hyatt sure knows how to milk its customers.

Taxis service is readily available. Some taxi drivers will not turn on the meter so beware.

Within a block or two of the hotel is a Walmart. It's huge and you can buy fresh fruits there as well.

Within a 5-10 minute drive is the night market (it costs about 10 RMB to take a taxi there). This is a good place to take the kids shopping for junkets in the evening and it stretches out almost a city block. We bought two no-name wrist watches for $3 USD / watch and, amazingly, it's still keeping good time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank IanNoone
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Normally, I would tend to go for newer hotels when I travel - liked the smell and feel of newer hotels, so to speak. However, when travelling with my 70 year old dad to his ancestral hometown recently, I had studied the Tripadvisor reviews and decided to choose this 5 star property, albeit an older hotel in Shantou. And no regrets, or whatsoever!

Location was my main consideration when choosing this hotel. True to what has been mentioned on this website, the hotel is very close to Shantou's largest Walmart supermarket and its attached Nan Guo Shan Chen - lots and lots of clothing and gift shops. Out of the Hotel, turn to your left and pass the Hotel's Karaoke lounge, go behind it and cross a huge carpark, and you have arrived at Shantou's shopping haven - an easy 5-7 minutes walk.

I had opted for the Hotel's Deluxe rooms, located on the 24-26th floors of the Hotel, and had asked for Non-smoking rooms with a slight seaview. All our requests had been duly met with - given rooms 2604 and 2606. The room was a newly renovated one, with new clean carpets, an armchair, writing desk and chair, Philips flat screen TV (39 channels with a few in English), water kettle with complimentary tea and coffee bags, minibar, safe (hard to operate but fine in the end), hairdryer, lots of closet space, huge bed with a rather hard mattress but four comfy pillows, fruit platter, two bottles of free mineral water daily and free internet in the room if you bring along your laptops.

What makes this Hotel stand out was actually its service - everyone from the Reception, Conceirge, doorman, room butler etc was extremely kind and helpful. Look for a friendly manager, Mr Dean, his is indeed the cream of the crop, free with local information and even remembers our surnames .... does feel very special when someone would actually remembers your name among the hundreds of guests everyday.

We did not use the Hotel's swimming pool nor breakfast service, so could not comment on these. But it does provide room service with exorbitant prices, something to be expected at 5 star hotels. Toiletries provided are many, however, do not expect international standards nor quality here. We stayed on the highest floor of the Hotel, and it was quiet enough for a good nights sleep, with very very slight traffic noises. On the 25th floor, there is even a grand reception area with a butler, ask for this floor if you can!

The Hotel is indeed very grand, with a huge sized clear roof top, triple volume atrium lobby, chandeliers everywhere. You could sensed that it was once the grandest Hotel in the Guangzhou area. And an award winning hotel, too. Tried its Chinese restaurant, 150 yuan for two for 4 dishes, quite a good deal. However, the same could not be said about its buffet dinner, at 128 yuan per person, if you arrive at 7.30pm, the food are leftover ones, with no top-ups, unacceptable for a 5 star hotel!

Booked a Buick car with driver for two consecutive days through the Hotel, to tour Teochew City and Swatow's neighbouring areas, at 700 yuan for 6 hours each day (8am-2pm). Very comfy 7 seater car with a knowledgeable driver. But if you have a tight budget, negotiate with a local taxi driver on your own for about 350-400 yuan for 6 hours, albeit with lesser comfort cos the seats are much thinner, and car also much older.

Overall, we liked Shantou and the Golden Gulf Hotel very much. Stayed for 3 nights and it wasn't quite enough to see all it has to offer. You would need about 4 nights instead. A taxi ride from the Shantou Airport to the Hotel is 60 yuan for the 15 minutes ride, cab drivers would ask for 80 or 100, bargain your way down. Short distances within the city are 20-30 yuan, negotiate prices first or better still, ask for the taxi meter to be turned on. Manually operated trishaw riders, about 5 yuan for shorter distances and 7 yuan for longer ones.

Lastly, be very very careful when crossing roads without traffic lights - they do not obey traffic rules and directions here. Follow the locals when crossing the roads whenever possible, always on the lookout, don't take anything for granted, look right and left, and then right again! Enjoy the local fare at its many small eateries, yummy ! Ask for Long Bei Shi Zhang in the mornings, exciting market scene with lots of local food!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank JChua
Reviewed January 1, 2010

i know very well this hotel as I chose it eveytime when stying in Shantou, the reasons are: very comfortable beds and clean rooms, HBO tv channel and internet included, best location in Shantou, fare price, i have tryed other hotels: Meritus and Regency, than i come back to the Golden Gulf.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I was the only non-Chinese on a bus tour booked in Hong Kong. Went with my spouse, her Mom and Elder sister. Stayed on 15th floor. VERY quiet (a PLUS for me!). Lobby decor flashy, bar seemed cozy, buffet breakfast looked complete. I got a charge out of the mosquito control solution: Decorative and interesting Venus Fly Trap plants in the lobby that eat the critters! Of course, this implies a summertime mosquito problem?) Tour was all-inclusive so we breakfasted (good, solid Chinese Style fare) in a separate room. Sleeping room was spacious, shower good and strong. Room safe was handy, minibar available. Small water boiling pot (Hobbes) adequate. Bottled water readily available. TV old, small: CNN and HBO. Bed Linen super clean and comfy - bed very worn as was carpet. Hotel had a business center with attendant and room had internet connection (used neither). We were busy with the tour and it was a wet and dreary two nights so we could not visit much of the environs outside - but, sole night out with the tour the city displayed itself as a ' I wannabe Shen Zen when I grow up". I think the town is devoid of charm but the hotel strives mightily. Tea is a very big 'thing' here. I saw more tea shops and tea bars here than anywhere I've been in China or Japan! (I very much enjoyed the full day trip to Chao Zhou - a charming and historical city which was a long bruising bus ride away.) I would stay in the hotel again and suffer more bus rides to see more of areas outside the city.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I write this from the Golden Gulf.

Shantou is of the normal tourist track so this is a hotel which was opulent in 1992 when it was built but is now somewhat in need of refurbisment the carpets can be less than clean in some areas.

There are several restaurants some of which serve Western food others local and an extensive daily buffet.

The staff try hard some do speak reasonable English but most do not.

The location is central Wal Mart is 200 mts away as are other shops.

Overall I was happy enough it isn't 5* any longer but could be again but the price isn't 5* either!

Based on price , service etc 7/10

Would use again but would look at Regency and Meritus as well before deciding.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)