“cheated by tripadvisor reviews..” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel

Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 407 Hotels in Huizhou
Hong Kong
“cheated by tripadvisor reviews..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were a group of 31, 10 families, all friends, organizing our own trip, 3 days 2 nights. We booked our 10 rooms on Ctrip, organized chartered coach to send us from Hong Kong. We went due to the massively positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We were very disappointed. Just a few notes.

1, hotel was crowded with flat viewing people, the beach was COMPLETELY public, not private at all, so it's very crowded all the time. With outside people using hotel lobbies. Hotel is very spacious but just too many non-guests hanging around.
2, hotel hardware looks like it's 10 years old. Software feels like it has opened for 3 days. The rooms were actually very nicely spaced, huge space but the furniture, maintenance is out of this world BAAAAD. Sofa had many dirty spots, all mirrros had black spots. Shower stall has grills so they trap sand that people washed out from previous visits.
3, when we arrive, our tour bus was NOT ALLOWED to stop at the hotel front door, so we had to park 100meters away and walk up with 15 kids and 30 pieces of luggage. I've NEVER seen a hotel do that. Even tho they have a very empty space in front of the hotel. In fact, after complaining, they did let us board our bus at the lobby when we leave. But apparently, it was hotel policy that they don't let buses that are not their own drop off in front.
4, we pre-booked western restaurant for dinner buffet the first night, only for them to tell us that there is no buffet coz there is not enough people to open the buffet, what a joke.
5, we visited the beach on Saturday afternoon, there was not one time when we put our hands in the water and cannot touch garbage. water was just utterly black. Yellow flag was up saying 'Not suitable to swim'. It was a horrible experience, kids still played in the water since we travelled a long way to be at the beach.
6, I had to say tho Green flag for "Suitable for swimming' was back up on Monday and water does look a bit cleaning, less garbage, but we ventured to the pool that day. Swimming pool was acceptable.
7, honestly the beach itself was not THAT dirty, I just can't understand where did all the garbage in the water come from, an insane number of plastic bags, small wooden planks, food bags etc..
8, will NOT visit again
9, We went due to the massively good reviews on TripAdvisor, I guess you have to see for yourself before you know how 'real' they are. I've learnt my lesson now, don't trust things that are too good to be true.
10, I've travelled China some and we go to China resorts every year, this is honestly hands down the worst one so far, very disappointed considering it is 1 year old. and with the crazy.. Best in China hotel review (roll eyes)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kellyst
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you had such an unpleasant stay. I will attempt to explain your points one by one.

Yes there are some days, usually national holidays, when the hotel is inundated with people, not necessarily hotel guests, but people looking to buy condos, and also villagers who live nearby. We are attempting to control access of non-hotel visitors. This is difficult since all beaches in China are public and landowners cannot prevent citizens from accessing them. Many countries have similar laws. In the US, it varies from state to state, including Hawaii where all beaches are public. We continue to work to discourage non-hotel visitors from using our beach. Since it is the cleanest beach around, and showers are free, we can become overwhelmed. We will shortly begin charging a fee for showers and other services to non-hotel guests to discourage them from frequenting our hotel. Nevertheless, on days which are not national holidays, visitors who are not staying in the hotel are much fewer.
Some furniture and mirrors in the rooms are being replaced as I write this. The dampness in the area has caused the mercury in the mirrors to corrode. Initially, when we opened, we did not run the AC unless the rooms were occupied. That was a mistake. We had to replace all the wood work. The water spots on the furniture sofas are a result of AC condensation drippings. Now that every room has AC on all the time the condensation has stopped. The sofa covers are being replaced. The hallways will all be carpeted by the end of August.
The day you arrived we had a head of state of a nation check in. The security bureau would not allow the buses in front of the hotel. We protested, but only after the man and his entourage arrived and were safely ensconced in the hotel was the driveway “released.” Let me assure you that normally all buses unload and pick up in front of the hotel.
The “western” restaurant is a banquet function venue. This means that when we have a function or banquet, then it opens to serve that particular event. The Silver Beach Bar and Grill, however, is an outlet that serves American style steaks and chops with a salad bar. This outlet is open every evening and is close to the beach. I apologize that this was not explained clearly to you.
The water is normally clean. In fact we have a contracted cleaning crew of more than 20 people working all day long to keep it that way. However, the whole area is a bay; whenever strong winds and typhoon strength storms develop (as it is prone to do until July), then all the debris from fishing vessels, etc. as well as waterfront villages, is washed into the calmer waters of the bay. I met with a senior government official yesterday and asked him to start a campaign of not dumping into the ocean, as I am a firm believer that whatever the government commits to doing, they are always successful. Truthfully, the water these past few days is clean because we have not had wind and storm for the past 3 days.

I apologize for your bad experiences on the days you were here. Normally, our guests are happy and return guests are growing exponentially since the busy season took off in June. We pledge that we are working to deliver as good a service in the busy months as in the slower months of winter.

Leon J Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

風景一流,硬體二流,服務三流。登記住房等了一小時,服務員說沒有記錄,但我有Agoda訂房網的入住單。進房發現地板有汙漬灰塵,沙灘是公共的。泳池起先不給進,說在拍攝廣告,不懂花錢住酒店還不能用泳池是哪門子服務?後來經理才給進。碧桂園不用心經營酒店,還是專心賣房吧!上回在廣州碧桂園經驗也很差,不推薦!

I booked thru Agoda two days before arrival and the front desk kept me waiting in the lobby, saying there's no record of my booking even though I have shown them Agoda's hotel voucher.

The hotel blamed Agoda for not sending voucher to them in time and 1 hr later, they upgraded me to a higher-level suite. The moment I stepped into the room, I found steins on the floor, untidy closet and desk.

My husband and I thought maybe staying at the beach would be better but that's another disappointment.

The view is exceptional but we realized its a public beach that everyone can come. And the hotel doesn't provide towels so that we have to run back to our room to get those.

Then we found that leaving personal items on the bench wasn't ideal as it's open to public, so we went to the hotel's swimming pool. At the entrance, the staff firstly refused to let us in because the hotel was shooting a commercial. Eventually we got in after a few mins of argument with the manager.

Sigh. We paid to stay at the hotel but couldn't use the facility because you were busy "prompting" your hotel ??? Isn't providing better service the first priority and it will speak for itself????

This is my second to stay at the Country Garden chain. My first one was also very unpleasant.

Therefore, I wouldn't recommend the chain to you until the hotel has improved its service.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Xtinalo
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear guest,
I am most chagrined to learn that your experience at our hotel fell far short of our guest service standards. I apologize for our mistakes and pledge that I have corrected these problems you encountered.
The handling of your check-in process is inexcusable. The proper way is to have roomed you first and then try to find what went wrong between Agoda and the hotel.
“Take a risk on behalf of the guest” is what I told the front office management to do. DO NOT SACRIFICE GUEST FOR FEAR OF BEING BLAMED FOR FEAR OF LOSING REVENUE. I told the front desk team that the new thinking is to risk the revenue but not the guest.
There are now blue towels for beach and swimming pool guests to use. However, these are for hotel guests who can show their room card keys only. This was always the rule here. I was quite unhappy to find that the pool and beach staff have decided on their own to discontinue this practice because a few towels were lost. Rest assured, that employees making their own rules will probably not happen again in this property.
The film crew was expressly told that guests were not to be inconvenienced. Again, it was our own staff who decided that the pool should be closed to guests during the filming.
I held a meeting 15 minutes after reading your TripAdvisor input with the manager who showed such little concern for guests. This is not fair for the rest of the hotel team members who work hard to attract and retain guests. The importance of guests and how to treat them is seared indelibly in his mind after my talk with him.
I sincerely apologize for all these problems happening to one guest, namely you, This is not the type of service we should be providing if we are serious of being successful in this business. I believe that top service is like an iron chain, in that it is only as good as its weakest link. I promise to strengthen the point of sales service. I promise to teach and train our POS staff to not be afraid to make decisions that make a guest feel respected and welcomed. Obviously, I have my work cut out for me.
Please give us another opportunity to serve you. Please call me personally for your next reservation.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I travel in China frequently for work, I was in Shenzhen for 3 weeks and decided to take a little break out of the city to this hotel for some relaxation, particularly after hearing about the jazz bar that a friend had recommended after staying there. On arrival I was greeted by the super welcoming and debonair American hotel manager who soon felt like an old friend. The room was spacious with beautiful views of the South China Sea and very comfortable beds. My partner and I dined in the hotel's Chinese restaurant which was excellent as expected, the GM also recommended we try their steaks and after 3 weeks of Chinese food we were more than happy. It was US beef and perhaps the best steak I've ever had in China or Hong Kong - tender and sublime! During the day we went exploring in a near by fishing village, Xia Chong, recommended by the concierge which was interesting! Ended the day with a nice single malt scotch in the beach jazz bar with excellent live music.

Overall I recommend this place as an excellent get-away location (as it was for us) or business. Our host was brilliant as was the whole experience, will definitely be returning next time I'm in China!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jllondon42
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your gracious comments. We hope you return for another stay.

Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

My family and I have lived in China for 10 years now, and my siblings and I organised my father's 60th birthday celebrations at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel for a weekend. Right from the initial planning stages to the actual weekend, the entire staff promptly responded to my emails, ensured that everything I asked for had been carried out (dinner arrangement, balloons, flowers, etc.), and were extremely polite and friendly. The general manager, Mr. Lee, ensured that his executive staff, who speak fluent English, were prompt, professional, and at our beck and call. We couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate my father's 60th birthday.

The hotel is easy to get to from Louhu station, and the driver, Mr. Hans (who came to pick us up) was on time and spoke fluent English. Mr. Marin, Ms. Susie, and Ms. Becky were all extremely accommodating, with Ms. Susie and Ms. Becky available on call to assist with translation whenever necessary.

The suite my father stayed in has a 270 degree balcony with a complete ocean view and comfortable chairs. The showers and toilets have excellent water pressure, and the rooms are clean and spacious. The breakfast was extensive and the Chinese restaurant right by the hotel has excellent Chinese food.

Overall, a highly recommended choice for a weekend getaway by the beach!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RT005
LEON JEN L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for you kind comments and for taking the time to post them on Tripadvisor. Your comments, as all guest comments, are posted on our employee reader board for our staff to read.
You gave all of us more impetus to continue to treat our guests in the same loving and caring manner you felt you received during your stay at the Silver Beach Hotel. Please return and experience two more outlets which will open soon. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have done alot of business in China over the past eight years and when I had the pleasure to stay at Country Garden Hotel Siliver Beach this is without doubt the best ever!!
All the way from the top with the General Manager Mr. Lee to when I got greeted at receiption on my arrival I must stay everyone went out of their way to ensure that I was taken care of, also I had to send a picture back to the US of my meal on Friday night , Great Steak, it would put Ruth Chris to shame!! overall very clean, well run Hotel to high standards great suites and views from every room of the ocean, fantastic bar and view of the ocean while having a cold beer, and very friendly staff with some great Live Jazz music in the bar as well!!! you think you were in Hong Kong or Shanghai with quality of the entertainment. For sure a must Hotel to stay in for business or pleasure in Huizhou, looking forward to my next trip already. Martin

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin B
Leon J L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Martin,
Thank you for your most gracious comments. The hotel staff remembered you and was charmed by you, as we all were. In short, we all look forward to your return.
Thank you again for your enthusiastic comments. I will make sure that every employee understands what you said, so they can keep motivated to treat all guests as if they were welcoming them into their own homes. Seeing that nothing beats Chinese hospitality...........

Sjhanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I recently enjoyed a 2-night stay the Silver Beach Hotel in Huizhou. The hotel car picked me up at the Shenzhen airport and whisked me to the front door of the hotel in a little over an hour.

On arrival I was greeted by enthusiastic, English-speaking staff who escorted me to a rapid check-in experience and then to my room. What a view from the wrap-around outer deck! And the room itself was very luxurious.

Things I especially enjoyed:
- The sound of the waves on the beach at night while falling asleep
- The superb Chinese food, cooked to perfection.
- The live entertainment in the pub...this really surprised me
- The impeccable friendly service from all the staff...
- The coffee was fantastic
- Relaxing on the deck outside my room with a full view of the blue sky and ocean

I am looking forward to another visit to this place soon. Thanks to everyone at the Silver Beach Hotel who made my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room if one is available. They are fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank phenry999
Leon J L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

My team enjoyed serving you, and remembered you as gentlemanly and humorous, I am happy that you had a good relaxing and comfortable stay. You are right, the idea when one gets here is to hear the waves and relax, leaving one's city pressures back home. Of course eating great Hakka food and Hakka seafood are just added bonuses. And boy, is the local restaurant food teasonanbly priced! I love it here.

Please return with your family.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I travelled a lot on business in China and stayed at many hotels. Last week, I stayed at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel in Huizhou - a small city in Guangdong. The hotel is a beautiful beach resort. I loved the setting of the bar, it also has very good selection of single malt whisky. The breakfast is great, I like the selection of dim sums and the steam bun. I'd also like to mention the general manager of the hotel. The general manager has worked in many hotels in China and Asia. I had the pleasure stayed at a few hotels he managed. He turned each bar in a hotel a very popular place to hang out in that area. The bell boy has cute uniform that fits the surrounding, I can see that the general manager puts a lots of thougt to it. The service in the front office and at the door is great and very thoughtful. I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Leon J L, General Manager at Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Kathy F
Wow! You have energized all my employees to serve guests better as they have been encouraged by your gracious and enthusiastic remarks. A personal thank you for going out of your way to stay at our hotel as there are so many competitors you could have stayed with in the greater Shenzhen area. Do come back again when the weather improves. It is peaceful and serene now when the waves lap the shore, it is absolutely gorgeous when it is sunny.

Leon J. Lee

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huizhou
Renaissance Huizhou Hotel
#5 of 407 in Huizhou
Oakwood Premier Guangzhou
Oakwood Premier Guangzhou
#2 of 3,387 in Guangzhou

Been to Country Garden Silver Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!