“Ching Mai-like Plus Hot-spring”

InterContinental Huizhou Resort
Ranked #33 of 407 Hotels in Huizhou
Hong Kong, China
“Ching Mai-like Plus Hot-spring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

The 5-star property with villas was surrounded by rice fields, bike trails and a golf course which reminds us the tranquility of rural areas of Ching Mai in Thailand. Star-gazing whilst enjoying family hot-spring in the villa really made the stay unforgettable. Services and choices of restaurant were acceptable but below the usual standards you would expect from Intercontinental.

• Stayed November 2012
ICHuizhouMarCom, Public Relations Officer at InterContinental Huizhou Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and sharing the experience of your stay at InterContinental Huizhou Resort.
Feedback like yours is very valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectations.
We would like to respond to you personally, could you please send us your Email address to reservation@ichuizhou.com?
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.

Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
PRC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Provided two rooms both were NOT made up, I called the front desk and was asked to talk to tour leader!???

I was then sitting there to wait for making up. Guess what ? The cleaning lady took only less then 10 minutes and said it was done, no vaccum cleaning, no ....and it was just not clean enough.

Besides, the real hot spring nearby HAD already been CLOSED DOWN and you could only try the hotel hot spring pool .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MKC_PRC
ICHuizhouMarCom, PR Officer at InterContinental Huizhou Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding to our cleaning service. We appreciate you bring these matters to our attention and apologize for the inconveniences. At the same time, we will respone the situation to Rooms and Front Desk Department.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very similar observations like the recent reivews:
Very long distance and inconvenient transport from downtown. No problem for group tour or local people with car. They don't provide free/fair transport support.
Excellent in-room facility and design - large, SPA and bathtube, big window & good lake/golfcourse view...quick silly and unclear design of walkway and lift indication if guest needs to go long way from hotel lobby to a building/facility.
SPA quality is acceptable, but not cheap if you compare it with elsewhere in Shenzhen. You should remember you are in a 5 start resort hotel.
Except SPA and Spring, very limited social and sport facilities - very bad for winter vacation if the guests don't like hot spring or spa. May be golfing?! Summer time should be OK - a big swimming area is here. However, the indoor swimming pool is badly managed, as other reviews stated.
I was lucky not getting trobles like Stephen with some really rude locals. Can you avoid locals in Mainland? It is quite a personal thing as I never demand for foreigner exclusive.
Dinner buffer is OK if you expect a 3 star+ quality. Staff services are varied. Most of them are good but you will meet some low quality service guy like elsewhere in PRC. A mark reduction if you strictly follow a 5 star expectation. Morning buffer is better than the dinner one.
Again, the hardware and structrual design are really excellent.

Room Tip: Getting close to the main lobby - not the area of Zone/Building 4, 5 & 6. It is more convenient...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ICHuizhouMarCom, PR Officer at InterContinental Huizhou Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at InterContinental Huizhou Resort. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and apologize for the inconveniences that experienced regarding our trasportation, service, Spa, facilities and food problems.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hardware is superb, but software (service and hospitality) has failed seriously. The worst Intercontinental Hotel we visited so far (having been to others in China, HK, Asia and Europe). Actually, it should not be claimed as part of the Intercontinental group.

All staff from cleaners to managers wear the same worker-style black one-sized fleece jacket, and unfit beige track pants. Most front desk receptionists wear no courtesy make-up but messy hair style, like people just coming out from the farms.

Staff working in the indoor swimming pool were totally ignorant about the water temperature or things relevant to the operation of a swimming pool.

Hot springs were clammed by guests (mostly mainland) who had their indoor outfit on but not swimming trucks and talked loudly like in a market. Unfortunately, no staff tried to remind them not to do so. They all forgot this is a hot spring in a top-class resort, meant for tranquility.

Food - especially the cafe which charges at 5-star hotel rate but provides very limited varieties of food which obviously sourced very low-end ingredients. Very ridiculously, many of the food in the dinner bufftet were left-over of the morning breakfast buffet, eg, you could find the same kind of breakfast sausages being cut into dice for making pasta and soup noodles in dinner!

Not recommended at all, especially for family or for holiday relaxation.

Room Tip: Choose one near to the spa on 7th floor as there is a lot of walking otherwise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at InterContinental Huizhou Resort. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and apologize for the inconveniences that experienced regarding our service, image, and food problems.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose InterContinental Huizhou Resort for your future travel needs.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I intended to have a relaxing weekend in a hot spring resort that not far away from home. That's why I stayed in this resort for one night. It turned out that it's much more far away than I expected. It took a hour from city of Huizhou and almost 4 hours from Hong Kong.

My strongest feeling about this resort was "cost saving". There was only one staff at the front desk when I arrived at 11:00. Since there was two hugh group for conference, my room was not ready. Then, I walked to see every facilities in the resort. However, the light of unoccupied facilities, such as table tennis room and business center, were turned off. It was dark everywhere. Nobody were using outdoor, indoor and hot spring pools. I only saw one staff attended at the hot spring area. Where were those two groups and staff??? It was quite scary!!!

Then, I found the chinese restaurant and had lunch there. The food and service were nice. It cost $380 for 3 main dishes and 2 drinks.

I stayed in a Club InterConteninent Room. There was a large bathroom with a big Kohler bathtub, Kohler shower system and Kohler water closet. There is a day bed as big as a single bed. Also, the balcony was facing the outdoor swimming pool.

I spent my evening in the indoor pool and hot spring pools before my spa treatment supposed to start at 20:00. Most of the time, I was the only guest in all the pools.

Eventually, my treatment was delayed for half hour. I had a 90 mins chinese full body massage and 40 mind foot massage. It cost $680CNY. The massage was good, but the service was not up to a hotel spa standard that it was just a little better than average massage club in Shenzhen.

I ordered room service after the treatment. It was terrible. I believe I had the worst fried rice in international brand resort. Then, I found out the fried rice I ordered was the same as the fried rice in buffet breakfast. The breakfast was good enough. Anyway, it's very difficult to make a bad breakfast.

One thing I want to mention that there was no sauna in the whole resort and steam room was only provided in selected spa treatment room.

I think the best of this resort was the front desk staff. They were all helpful and sincere.

• Stayed October 2012
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed for one night. Outdoor pool was good but the indoor some pool's mosaic tiles fell off leaving white spots and a potential danger to swimmers, changing room by the indoor pool was good. Hot spring pool was good but the changing room did not meet 5 star standards, the toilets were chinese brand, faint odd smell, but not to the degree it is unbearable. Chinese restaurant is good, but expect waiting time for white rice, other dishes gets served in timely fashion. Buffett breakfast is average.
Good for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: I did not stay in a room near the hot spring pools but I would request to avoid it as many people pa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gordon t
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

It is a great resort away from the city with spa, golf and everything. When you arrive, the lobby is spacious and okay. My room is far away from lobby but near to spa area, so it is great for me to enjoy the spa at night and morning. The room is spacious and facilities is great. However, there is a lot of room to improve compared to other 5 star class hotel. First, the buffet is not good. The food selection is few compared to many 3 or 4 star class hotel in China. The room is not clean. The red wine glass in my room is being used by other ppls before. It is unacceptable in a 5-star class and international brand hotel. The spa and bath room items are not sufficient for the ppl to use. After this stay and enjoy my holiday, it make me to feel that the hardware is ready but the software need to continue to improve in this hotel. Hope to have another feeling in next stay of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family