“Gigantic portions of food!”
Review of One for the Road

One for the Road
Ranked #2 of 800 Restaurants in Dongguan
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Generally acknowledge as the best Pub in China, One for the Road is known firstly for it's hygiene standards. Since opening in July 2006 customers have never seen any rats or cockroaches in the pub! We also have never had a case of food poisoning. One for the Road is also known to have a large array of Beers on tap from UK, Europe & China. This includes Cider, Ginger Beer & Non alcoholic beer! There is also a wide choice of bottled beers available. But primarily we are famous for our extensive food menu. Our food is consistently good which means we serve on average 350 people every weekday. This does mean we get very full. But if you cannot get a table in the main pub area (we can seat around 170 people) we can seat 50 upstairs in the games area or another 140 in our beer garden. It is acknowledged by Chinese and foreigners that One for the Road is the busiest and best foreign owned & run venue in Dongguan.
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Been here a couple times since they first opened and have watched their business grow. I am not surprised, they offer a great selection of food and beer. Food is very tasty, not to mention that their portions are humongous! I would recommend their fish and chips. Their burgers are very good too. Buffalo wings were not bad except they were rather small which was kinda surprising considering they are known for their huge servings. Wait time for food used to be very long but that has improved at lot. Will definitely continue coming.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We always visit OFTR when in Donguan and have never been disappointed with the food.
Service is sometimes a little slow at busier times but one doesn't mind that when the quality is always there.
We will be back in October, can't wait.

1  Thank Njames2000
Jaybaydg, Owner at One for the Road, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you very much for your review of our pub. It is always nice to see reviews that appreciate the pub and the hard work the staff put in to try make everyone's visit here as comfortable as possible.

Your words of encouragement will mike us strive to reach higher standards for all to enjoy.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I write this, not as a review of the bar, but more to express my concerns of the attitude of the manager. I can understand a manager protecting his income and to a degree his bar that he manages, but, surely, the responses to the patron(money spender, customer call him as you will) who wrote of non caring should be addressed professionally and not with arrogance and sarcasm.

Reading the review it was obvious that the attitude from the reviewer was that he took his wife for a Sunday lunch which was spoilt by noisy boxing fans ! Is that wrong? the reviewer then went onto complain about one or two of the TV watchers who became belligerent. Yet it appears this was totally acceptable to a manager whose standards should be addressed.

For the manager then state that no one complained, even the reviewers wife, then someone is not telling the truth, to make his response even more laughable, he went on to state that the football match that evening was even more noisy. But the big difference is lunch time sport and night time sport, are totally different.

I visit One for The Road perhaps twice a month when I am in Dongguan, and one of the things as a Portuguese ( Brazilian) and English speaker that makes me cringe is the same bunch of drunkards with poor standards and abusive rude language that gather around the bar , even the manager quite often uses abusive language whilst women are present.

I have now given the bulk of my business to other bars, as I think others have. Certainly not my first choice of bar in Dongguan any more. Good luck OFTR, but I think your days are numbered, even your good English speaking staff appear to have jumped ship.

2  Thank Kevinbliz
Jaybaydg, General Manager at One for the Road, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

In your review you complained of "too many Children around the bar" now you complain "too many Drunkards", please make your mind up? which is it? drunks or children?

Why don't you just say "you hate One for the Road!".

Please do not refer to my customers as drunkards whilst hiding behind an electronic personality.

If I have a problem with a bar or restaurant I tell them so (not hide away like a little coward).

My staff also do not deserve your derogatory comments they work very hard every day and deserve more respect!
For your information jumping ship means getting off before it sinks which is a fair comment but for 2 FACTS:
1. We are full every night (with more customers than any other foreign bar/restaurant in the city).
2. We have only lost 1 manager (She has worked here for 4 years) & 1 senior barman (who's been with us since 2009).

Lulu is married and needs to leave Dongguan and be with her husband and start a family.
Jack has gone back to Harbin to start a business with his father. Neither jumped ship and we wish best of fortunes with both.

May I say, It is easy for people like you to hide behind a keyboard trying to destroy peoples businesses that many people have worked very hard to build. Fortunately for us most people appreciate the efforts we go to to make life more enjoyable in this working city.

Say what you like about us! Give us a low star rating.

Most customers that have a problem speak to me or my staff (yes customers sometimes are not happy as we make a mistake from time to time) and we try to fix the problem.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Whenever I'm in Dongguan I always spend time in the One For The Road, fantastic atmosphere, service & food, this place is huge inside & had a whole floor set aside for non smokers (a rarity in China) it also benefits from a very nice beer garden, it's also only a few minutes from central Dongguan's shopping centre & a few brilliant golf courses, thanks again to Lucas, Jason & all the staff for looking after us once again ;-D

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Visited OFTR Sunday to have the British roast and have to say was totally disappointed, There was some boisterous Philippine girls sitting with 3 westerners shouting at the top of their voice at the boxing match on the TV. The owner didn't intervene and ask them to act in an orderly way and respect other customers who were try to enjoy their meal. I am not a type of person that complains at anything and understand Bars can be quite loud but really this was OTT. We had to leave before our meal was served, because one of the westerners was acting very aggressively to other customers accusing them of using their phones that crashed the internet connection of the TV. That was to much to take so we left. My wife mentioned to the owner he should have a separate area for TV Boxing matches etc, so diners could eat in peace, the response she got was of an uncaring nature. Our Sunday was spoilt, we had to find an alternative venue for lunch. I certainly wont go back there in a hurry.

1  Thank 297,412
Jaybaydg, General Manager at One for the Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

I am so sorry to hear of your experience in our pub last Sunday.

We have repeatedly asked our customers not to enjoy themselves or have fun whilst at One for the Road as it's bad form.

But unfortunately they don't pay any attention to my requests and persist in enjoying themselves when coming to One for the Road.......

A word of warning, tomorrow is our St. George's Party so there might be customers smiling (god forbid a little inebriated and having fun), best off staying away.

On that Sunday in question, there was the Pacquio vs Bradley fight. We had round 40 or 50 people of various nationalities here to watch the fight. It was a lovely sunny day and those that didn't want the noise inside enjoyed the beer garden.

I politely asked people to refrain from using wifi devices in consideration of those wanting to watch this fight.

Did people get excited..... YES
Were they noisy...... YES
Did I or my staff receive any complaint from any customer regarding noise or customer behaviour...... NO
Were customers behaving rudely, badly or aggressively to anyone else......... NO

I can also assure you neither your wife or anyone else approached me or my staff to suggest a separate area for boxing or anything else.

Were there some Philippine nationals noisily supporting their national hero yes but then there were noisy Germans, Americans & Brits too! And not as noisy as the Liverpool vs Man City game the night before with English and Chinese customers.