“What No Guiness!!”

Ranked #1 of 793 Restaurants in Dongguan
Cuisines: British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Generally acknowledge as the best English Pub in China, One for the Road is known to have a large array of Beers (8 English Ales, Lagers, Stout) as well as Cider, Ginger beer, tiger and heineken all on tap. There is also a wide choice of bottled beers available. But we are also very famous for our extensive food menu. Our food is consistently good which means we serve on average 350 people every weekday. This does mean we get very full. But if you cannot get a table in the main pub area (we can seat around 170 people) we can seat 50 upstairs in the games area or another 140 in our beer garden. It is acknowledged by Chinese and foreigners that One for the Road is the busiest and best foreign owned & run venue in Dongguan.
Reviewed September 28, 2013

London prices and no Guiness!!
If you go with friends or family, don't expect to eat at the same time. There is no correlation between ordering and being served. No manager overseeing the tables, although there is behind the bar. You can walk in and sit there and nobody comes to you, unless you make eye contact, even if bar is empty.
More and more locals filling the pub, that's fine, it's their country, but service isn't a priority to them, as it is to westerners.
VERY smokey, but children are allowed into the bar area, to breath in all that smoke!! I'm a smoker, but would never smoke with a child in the room!. 'Family Pubs' don't allow children in the smoking area. Great potential tho with more hands on management. In US we call it "work in progress".

2  Thank Adriannalovesguiness
Jaybaydg, General Manager at One for the Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Hi there, I am amused you would actually class the standard of a pub by whether they served Guinness or not. You should see the people around me laughing at such an naive comment as well.
For your information we stopped purchasing from Guinness a year ago after problems with stock and quality.

We instead decided to import Courage Directors, Bombardier, Eagle, Young's London Stout, John Bull Classic Lager & John Bull Blonde Lager (45rmb a pint and 35 in happy hour) and soon to be McEwan's Lager making One for the Road the ONLY ENGLISH PUB IN ASIA TO STOCK SO MANY BRITISH DRAUGHT BEERS.

And yes even though we ship them half way across the world we are managing to sell it the same price as in England. I'm afraid we cannot sell it cheaper as the brewery has the cheek to ask us to pay them for the barrels they deliver to us.

I will look into the food times as soon as I return from holiday and am very sorry to hear of this problem.

We have a huge beer garden for children as well as a NON-SMOKING 2nd floor.

We also spent 40,000 rmb on a air filtration system to sift the smoke out the main pub area.

I hope you will try our Non Guinness draught beers as everyone agrees they are of a much higher standard to Guinness (in China 60rmb a pint). In fact since importing these beers, consumption has increased by 30%.

Once again real issues like food times I can assure you I will try to improve in this area immediately
Guinness, we will not return to the pub as the draught beer we have now are far better and cheaper.

Smoking we will change when we are required to by law, but we already have an entire non smoking floor and a large. Outdoor area.

Please bare in mind 45rmb a pint is after I pay shipping cost, import duty and agent sales. And even after that we give a happy hour price of 35rmb too.

There are newer reviews for One for the Road

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Having lived in DG for 13 years, I have seen many restaurants and bars come to Dongguan with varying degrees of success.

I can say that during every visit to OFTR over the past years, the service has exceeded the standard set by any of the other local establishments, foreign or otherwise. The food is consistently good and the service time has been reasonable by my standards.

I would suggest the "Pub" to anyone looking for a bit of the bar atmosphere while also enjoying a well prepared meal with servers that really do SPEAK and UNDERSTAND English.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I looked through HillsboroughOwl's view and think he have some points about this pub. I sometimes go in but when I do I'm normally dissapointed by it. It's not the best pub here in Dongcheng, and doesn't Guinness, which I like. Its become like a chinese local nowadays and the service is the same really. Sometimes im there for long before someone to come and take my drink order. Its very slow. HillsboroughOwl said about food order coming together. I laugh to read it as it never comes together! WHEN it comes!! If I order lasagne and frys, I'm get the chips half and hour before the lasagne! He's right. They even ask you if you want the food to come together. Then if I'm with my friends sometimes they might even eat before I get my dish. There are more good options left in Dongguan, which is why me and my friends no longer visit to this pub.

5  Thank Dongguancityboy
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I visited this pub several times for having Burgers and Beer (I LOVE Burgers and Beer), it surely is the best option in Dongguan as far as I know, I tried different places.... But it really could be better: first of all the burger bun is awful, although the meat is excellent, really excellent. Fries are ok but nothing special. The service lack in friendliness (specially when the owner (or manager) is not around. I really wish they can improve even if I know that is not easy in China.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Been here many times, great food every time. Great place to gather for drinks and dinner. Highly recommend to anyone traveling thru dongguan