“Avoid this place until nearby constructions are done”

Huihua International Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,087 Hotels in Dongguan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a otherwise fine hotel, with good restaurant and everything, EXCEPT there're constructions going on night and day ALL around the premises! It is a north south facing hotel. To the south, the digging for the subway is very loud and it does not stop after 12am. To the north, the next door neighbor hotel is building a second wing and it is also busy. There's no way to escape the noise, unless the construction folks have a day off or something. Avoid at any cost, and come back in a year, year and half or so.

Room Tip: The best of the worst rooms would be the the ones at the west end
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Joe W

Reviewed November 10, 2012

It is 4-5 stars hotel.
If you are not too picky and look for dust at the corners you will score the hotel with 5.
it is located next to other hotels in Changping city center surrounded with shops night markets, etc. as in any other Chinese city.
At the ground floor there is an office that sell transport tickets to HK and HK Airport (200RMB, 2.5 Hrs) in a shuttle van.
As you can read on other reviews, the con is the breakfast that may fit Eastern guests but far to satisfy the Western ones by variety and quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The HuiHua International Hotel is a large “Western Style” hotel as others have already mentioned. The rooms are of a large size for China standards and mostly in an over the top imitation gold plated décor. Think Donald Trump meets the dollar store. The beds are very comfortable and if you are lucky enough to get a non-smoking room, you should be able to breathe easy. Out of the 10 or so times I have stayed here over the past five years, I have only received a non-smoking room twice. All the other times I have been told “Sorry, full. Please go now” Obviously they are not very accommodating to Western travelers.

The hotel offers a complimentary “Western Style” buffet which is the absolute nastiest breakfast you will ever have in a “4-Star” hotel. Almost everything is soggy and undercooked. Sausage is undercooked and resembles mini hot dogs. The bacon looks like it was in the frying pan for about 12 seconds on each side and then thrown into a large serving dish with 7 cups of grease. The worker at the egg or omelet station usually does not speak English and you will basically have to point to what you want, but it will most likely not be thoroughly cooked, so I would not recommend that either. The orange juice tastes like it was made with Tang and sugar. The coffee is bitter and tastes like jet fuel. Just pass on everything. I did enjoy their toast and apple juice though. That tasted ok.

The internet is the absolute worst of any hotel I have ever stayed in and I am in hotels about 45-50 nights a year. The Wi-Fi is unreliable and cuts out frequently, and that’s if you are lucky enough to even connect to it I the first place. The wired Ethernet cable is usually broken at the end which makes for a difficult task to keep the cable connected to your computer. But don’t worry, it’s about as reliable as the Wi-Fi, so do yourself a favor and get all your important work and e-mails done before you stay here.

The area can be rather unsavory at night and I would not recommend going out on your own unless you are in a large group with some local or Cantonese hosts. You will be harassed bt prostitutes and street pan handlers as well as peddlers trying to sell you whatever garbage they have.

I have been coming to Dongguan for business for a few years now and the company that I deal with puts me up here because it’s CHEAP. Dirt cheap for China. They put me up here because it’s about 15 minutes away from their factory which I usually visit for one afternoon and then attend the Canton Fair the other two or three days. Yes that’s right. They arrange a driver to drive me back and forth from this dump to the Canton Fair because this hotel is about $30-40 USD cheaper than the hotels near the fair. I can assure you next time I will not allow them to handle my hotel booking even if they pay. I will be staying at a hotel of my choosing much closer to the Canton Fair. Preferably a western hotel brand that has standards to adhere to and since I am platinum with SPG, it will most likely be a property within their group.

Room Tip: Arrive early if you want to secure a non-smoking room as a reservation is not for a specific room ty...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jrzyshawn
Reviewed June 7, 2012

HuiHua is a huge western-style hotel which fares well in comparison to other hotels in China but would, I believe, get 3+ stars by Western standards. We stayed here for 8 days and during that time, stayed in one of their top Business Executive rooms and then in a standard Deluxe room.

Standards differ dramatically between the two rooms: the more expensive rooms have far more furniture and include a PC and better internet connection. The less expensive rooms look brighter as they have less furniture but the bathrooms are in dire shape (think mould in the shower and run down carpets) and the internet connection by LAN connection is atrocious. The Wifi is better in the reception area.

Definitely check your bill as we were charged for a burlap drawstring laundry bag which we do not have any use for and had to argue about it. Very few staff speak English well enough to be understood and only few staff members have a friendly attitude and attempt to mime with us to be able to communicate.

Overall an average hotel which could use refurbishment in their Deluxe rooms so if you do stay, spend extra for a Business room for a decent stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Merkey
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was in China for the first time two weeks ago, and the Huihua couldn't have been a better place to stay. I requested a non-smoking room, eliminating any possibility of odors, and there were none. My room was big and comfortable and the water pressure from the shower was spa-like.

There was a "western breakfast" buffet every morning and it was very good. A great way to fill the belly before a day of touring factories. There were Chinese offerings as well.

The Huihua is in a great location. Coming from the west, it was nice to have a McDonald's and Starbucks across the street for the occasional taste of home. The area around the hotel was perfect for absorbing the Chinese urban vibe. Bustling with a lot of shops and restaurants. We ate a great local place just down the street.

Can't wait to go back, and I'll be staying here.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker, make sure to ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank corzatt
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I booked a 5D4N Golf Package thru a local agent in Singapore and Hui Hua was the second hotel choice - from Nov 11 - Nov 15.

I was given room 1013 - which is overlook an adjacent construction site (currently doing the basement carparks). More about this later.

The room smell of stale cigarette smell. Fair size and internet is free.

I checked in thru the my tour agent and was given the room electronic card (with a paper folder). Found the plastic card crackled ( the hotel demands the return of the room card and reuses them). Went down to the reception and told them and they claimed I damaged it and wanted to charge me RMB30 for this.

I refused to pay. So check this before you leave the counter.

The shower is great (as mentioned previously). The food is OK - if you are an Oriental. The noodles station is great.

Location wise - good with lots of retail shops a minute away. There is a great massage - Pozolim - for those who must have foot or body massage...just across the street and a heavenly congee (their crab/prawn congee is so good) shop nearby - perfect after the late nites partying and KTVs

The bad - avoid rooms facing the construction site as someone was doing piling or hammering works at 4 am in the morning.

The staff tried to bill me for the roooms charges when I checked out - fortunately I had my receipt with me. They immediately changed their invoice - but not a word of apology. Nothing.

I took an adaptor from the housekeeping - which i signed for it. Again the reception said I took 2 "things" from housekeeping. I have no idea what they were talking about as they cannot speak a word in English .... I asked them to show me proof of what they alleged that I took and they backed down immediately.

So watch, check your invoices and keep copies of whatever you signed for adaptors or appliances that you may ask from housekeeping. It would save you a lot of hassle and "creative billings" !!

Laundry - avoid giving expensive or delicate clothings for laundry - my cotton shirt came be shorter and my linen pants were ruined.

I would definitely give this hotel a skip - if I have a choice.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms adjacent to the construction site
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank titaniumbronze
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I travel to Changping on business. Have finally settled for this Hotel as the first choice amongst Miraton, Hui Mei and even Eurasia international (considering its location).

Location : Marvellous. On the main avenue next to many eateries and shopping arena. For foreign travellers, you dont need a cab to explore this part of the city. Mcdonald's right opposite.
Pool : Large sized pool. Very few people using it.
Restaurant : Decent Breakfast - you must know what to choose.
Rooms : Very Big and confortable. Clean and loaded with toiletteries.
Cost : Excellent value for Money. Some minutes of Phone calls are also free on Day basis. So use it everyday or the value lapses.
Foot massage : One of the best places.
English Speaking Staff : Some speak enough to manage. One reception manager very fluent. Need to improve on this factor.

OVERALL Best in this area.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business